Donald McKelvy
Reaction score
Website
deeptowild.blogspot.com
"The LAPD Just Got a Military-Grade Electric Bike for Stealth Missions"
by Alexander George

Source:
http://www.wired.com/2014/06/lapd-zero-electric-motorcycles/

For an officer of the law, motorcycles have distinct advantages over the patrol car. They accelerate faster than anything with four wheels and can slip through traffic. They’re fuel efficient. But they’re also loud, and that can be problematic when sneaking up on perps.

If you’re a motorcycle cop with the L.A.P.D., time to celebrate. As a pilot project, the force has bought a Zero MMX electric motorcycle, that offers those advantages with the addition of stealth.

“Most importantly, our officers have an added tactical advantage while on patrol,” says Officer Steve Carbajal of the L.A.P.D. Off-Road Unit. For now, Zero says that the LAPD “purchased one MMX as a pilot program,” for use on and off-road. If it goes well, they will order more.

Los Angeles taxpayers can be glad that the bikes can be charged for less than $.50 and maintenance is largely limited to the occasional tire inflation. Oh, and with no emissions, they can go indoors to chase a suspect through a hallway.

Zero has been supplying police departments around the country with motorcycles since 2011, starting in Northern California. These bikes are like their civilian counterparts, but outfitted with lights, sirens, medical gear, and hard storage containers.

The MMX is Zero’s special forces-specific bike. It can ford through water up to 3.2 feet deep, put out 68 pound-feet of toque, go from zero to 60 in 4.4 seconds, and hit a top speed of 85 mph. Equipped with the largest available battery pack, it bike will run for two hours.

We’re sorry to report the police-spec MMX is not for sale to civilians, but play your cards right and you could end up racing one down the 405.

Attachments

• MMX-1.jpg
    MMX-1.jpg
    944.5 KB · Views: 205
  • MMX-2.jpg
    MMX-2.jpg
    744.1 KB · Views: 190
  • MMX-3.jpg
    MMX-3.jpg
    645.1 KB · Views: 173
  • MMX-4.5.jpg
    MMX-4.5.jpg
    364.6 KB · Views: 166
  • MMX-51.jpg
    MMX-51.jpg
    524 KB · Views: 161
Not sure how this is going to work as a patrol vehicle with only 2 hours of endurance even with the big battery. You'd think it would have to handle a full shift.

It will be totally inadequate/unsuitable, 'cept maybe for 'mall cops'..

As a basic commuter machine with a reliable source/time period to enable recharge, it is a tolerable idea.

The only way an electric powered machine would be practicable for field duties with enough range for a reasonable radius away from base, is if it has an onboard fuel cell..
..maybe the military could test an ex-NASA surplus deep space probe plutonium unit..
.. but that might be a bit of an issue if it gets hit (or stolen)..
.. & a radio isotope spill occurs..

I suppose there's 2 parts to it; because it uses no energy idling, they should be able to get a bit longer out of it, especially if they're checking cars against the speed limit. Otherwise I'd imagine they'd simply head back to base every few hours and swap the bike out.

The machine pictured seems to be lacking all the emergency light/siren/& etc equipment commonly featured on cop bikes.
If fitted with them, how much would the added electrical current draw - cruel the road range?

Dragon029 said:
I suppose there's 2 parts to it; because it uses no energy idling, they should be able to get a bit longer out of it, especially if they're checking cars against the speed limit. Otherwise I'd imagine they'd simply head back to base every few hours and swap the bike out.

One would hope it'd be easier to swap out the *battery*. Put a charger and a battery or three in the trunk of each police cruiser; just meet up at the corner of X and Y on set schedules, spend one minute swapping. Easy.

Orionblamblam said:
Note that the performance is, by bike standards, really quite awful. This is not unusual for an electric vehicle, of course. At best, range is about 60 miles, top speed 85 mph.

Maybe they need a hybrid version, or some sort of fuel cell version.

Maybe performance is really quite awful by motorcycle standards. Though perhaps performance is quite excellent compared to mountain bikes or police horses. Maybe the vehicle may be used in areas where it is not possible to use automobiles or motorcycles?

Triton said:
Though perhaps performance is quite excellent compared to mountain bikes or police horses. Maybe the vehicle may be used in areas where it is not possible to use automobiles or motorcycles?

Yeah, but then, performance sucks compared to helicopters, boats, drones and ED-209 units. You compare a thing to its own kind, and this is a motorcycle, so you compare it to motorcycles.

The claim is made that since it is non-polluting, you can use it indoors. But if you were in such a hurry to catch a badguy that you'd be willing to go tear-assing around a shopping mall on a motorbike, you probably wouldn't care about exhaust fumes.

For what it's worth, the linked brochure does describe "modular and quick swappable power packs" so that question does appear to be answered. I agree that the top speed is not terribly impressive, but it's still plenty fast for congested urban areas and electric vehicles generally have excellent acceleration because all the torque is available immediately. The ability to respond quickly but in relative silence could be very useful in some contexts, though the flip side is the need to be very aware of pedestrians since they won't hear you coming. The specs posted with this video indicate a 0-60 mph time of 3.3 sec, a maximum speed of over 100 mph (distinguished from a sustained maximum speed of 85 mph), and a mixed high/low speed range of over 100 miles, all of which sounds pretty decent to me.

In fact a 0-60mph time of ~4 seconds aint too shabby, not many members here have a daily drive that would beat that.
Of course, being a single speed drive..
(& no multi-speed trans is really required - courtesy of the hi-torque electric mill - indeed - max torque is at stall),
..terminal speed is fairly modest..
& being fairly silent by motorcycle standards can be a drawback, safety-wise too..
A rider would not want a dozy pedestrian stepping out vacantly into his/her path, due to the unexpectedly silent approach..

J.A.W. said:
... A rider would not want a dozy pedestrian stepping out vacantly into his/her path, due to the unexpectedly silent approach..

With regards to the intended mission, that shouldn't be a problem, I think. For "peace-time use"
an artificial motor sound may be added. Maybe this could even be used as a kind of camouflage.
Which enemy would think of special forces, when he's hearing a pack of Harleys ? ;)

Jemiba said:
J.A.W. said:
... A rider would not want a dozy pedestrian stepping out vacantly into his/her path, due to the unexpectedly silent approach..

With regards to the intended mission, that shouldn't be a problem, I think. For "peace-time use"
an artificial motor sound may be added. Maybe this could even be used as a kind of camouflage.
Which enemy would think of special forces, when he's hearing a pack of Harleys ? ;)

I meant - in the 'shopping mall' or civil-type situation really,
& having suffered a needlessly serious injury myself from just this scenario,
( ear-bud wearer deaf to my - not too noisy - approach)
I can vouch for the inherent irritation involved..

Jemiba said:
HDs are the favourite mount of Hell's Angels, Bandidos and the like. I say shoot 'em anyway.

Yeah right.

But just lets see you say that to them face-to-face..& put it up for us on youstupid, ah - I mean youtube..

Arjen said:
HDs are the favourite mount of Hell's Angels, Bandidos and the like. I say shoot 'em anyway.

Careful, that could lead to everybody driving a Harley being shot ! Not every rocker is a criminal!
We have a bike club nearby and its members are working hard for a better image, though most
of them insist on their "standard rocker rags" (Especially the women amongst them, not typical
for those criminal gangs, AFAIK !).
But back to the theme, silence should rather be regarded as an advantage, I think, especially
when coupled with speed. Could compensate for a probably higher risk, when on the street, compared
to be afoot, as taking cover in every entrance or behind every corner isn't possible.
And ok, for warning pedestrians in a peaceful environment maybe loud march music would be better,
than false motor sounds.

Orionblamblam said:
Yeah, but then, performance sucks compared to helicopters, boats, drones and ED-209 units. You compare a thing to its own kind, and this is a motorcycle, so you compare it to motorcycles.

The claim is made that since it is non-polluting, you can use it indoors. But if you were in such a hurry to catch a badguy that you'd be willing to go tear-assing around a shopping mall on a motorbike, you probably wouldn't care about exhaust fumes.

Fair enough.

Jemiba said:
Arjen said:

Careful, that could lead to everybody driving a Harley being shot !
Z
Z
tumblr_mz5du6A39W1rlo1q2o1_1280.jpg

Jemiba said:
But back to the theme, silence should rather be regarded as an advantage, I think, especially
when coupled with speed. Could compensate for a probably higher risk, when on the street, compared
to be afoot, as taking cover in every entrance or behind every corner isn't possible.
And ok, for warning pedestrians in a peaceful environment maybe loud march music would be better,
than false motor sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=E_SN7IfyGBA#t=142

Come on, we're all thinking it.

Is there new battery technology in development that looks promising for electric vehicles? Carbon Nanotube Electrode Lithium, Copper Nanowire Cathode Lithium, Lithium Air Carbon, Lithium Silicon, Carbon Foam Capacitor Hybrid, Lithium Silicon Polymer, Lithium Sulfur Carbon Nanofiber, Lithium Manganese Composite/Silicon Carbon Nanocomposite?

Source:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/news/fuel-economy/8-potential-ev-and-hybrid-battery-breakthroughs#slide-1

Triton said:
Is there new battery technology in development that looks promising for electric vehicles?

There's promising stuff in the lab and early testing, but nothing truly revolutionary (not just a percentage increase in energy density, but orders of magnitude) seems to be "just around the corner." A hydrocarbon-based fuel cell might be a better way to go (methanol, for example). A not-inconsiderable advantage to such a system is that the "recharge" time is the same as pumping gas into your car, not hours, not swapping out massive solid blocks.

Don't forget, the 'Blues Bros' showed just how capable a big ol' "shit-box" Dodge cop car is - in a shopping mall..

& check out the Evel Knievel movie for real skilled motorcycle indoors footage.

& E.K. did do some fearless brave stuff on a big 'hog' too, & an electric mill, it just aint the same spectacle..

Jemiba said:
For "peace-time use" an artificial motor sound may be added.

The ISO has a committee working on a standard for just such a device, for electric cars. The goal is increased pedestrian safety.

Orionblamblam said:
Triton said:
Is there new battery technology in development that looks promising for electric vehicles?

There's promising stuff in the lab and early testing, but nothing truly revolutionary (not just a percentage increase in energy density, but orders of magnitude) seems to be "just around the corner." A hydrocarbon-based fuel cell might be a better way to go (methanol, for example). A not-inconsiderable advantage to such a system is that the "recharge" time is the same as pumping gas into your car, not hours, not swapping out massive solid blocks.

Way ahead of ya buddy.. check post#3 this thread, & what was it the Ghostbusters said about fuel 1/2 life?

Those Voyager probes are still powered up & pumpin' out data - decades post launch aint they?

Are hogs electric?
Do androids dream of them?
Are these - the droids -you are looking for?
Could be..

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/harley-davidson-motorcycles-go-electric-1.2681089