Unique e-mail address for Secret Projects spammed/phished

DSE

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
FYI, I just received what appears to be a spammed/phishing Facebook e-mail message sent to a unique e-mail address created specifically for my account for this forum and I have my account set not to allow other users to e-mail me.

something like this?

Attachments

• 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 182
flateric said:
something like this?

Most likely. Though it's hard to really compare as it's in HTML and I don't use an HTML capable mail program. I understand this is not the only place the address could be gotten from, but it only exists in a very small number of places. Similar to the other dozens of addresses I maintain.

DSE said:
Most likely. Though it's hard to really compare as it's in HTML and I don't use an HTML capable mail program. I understand this is not the only place the address could be gotten from, but it only exists in a very small number of places. Similar to the other dozens of addresses I maintain.

Same here. Could have been brute forced but seems unlikely.

Hmm. Forum software is up to date, forum server OS is up to date.

If someone's stolen the email list it could be a previously unknown vulnerability, or a staff member whose credentials were stolen. I will investigate.

I've changed my password, other admins should probably do the same, but I see no evidence of anything amiss. I also didn't get emailed. There was a harvest of email addresses some years back when a spammer registered on the forum so they could snaffle users addresses - which I've prevented by not allowing low post count users to view anyone's email.

Not sure I can do anything more right now.

DSE said:
flateric said:
something like this?

Tom : Soap, is there something we should know
about you?
Bacon: I'm not sure what's more worrying, the job
or your past.

I also got a fake Facebook e-mail, allegedly from Flateric. I suspect it was Kim Jong Un, as always.

well...it was not Kim neither Vlad, but my Android phone that - with a little help of its idiot owner - made a bulk dispatch using Gmail contact list with invitation to idiot's Facebook page

apologies...

flateric said:
well...it was not Kim neither Vlad, but my Android phone that - with a little help of its idiot owner - made a bulk dispatch using Gmail contact list with invitation to idiot's Facebook page

xkcd_phone.png

"Presented in partnership with Qualcomm, Craigslist, Whirlpool, Hostess, LifeStyles, and the US Chamber of Commerce. Manufactured on equipment which also processes peanuts. Price includes 2-year Knicks contract. Phone may extinguish nearby birthday candles. If phone ships with Siri, return immediately; do not speak to her and ignore any instructions she gives. Do not remove lead casing. Phone may attract/trap insects; this is normal. Volume adjustable (requires root). If you experience sudden tingling, nausea, or vomiting, perform a factory reset immediately. Do not submerge in water; phone will drown. Exterior may be frictionless. Prolonged use can cause mood swings, short-term memory loss, and seizures. Avert eyes while replacing battery. Under certain circumstances, wireless transmitter may control God."