Spike S-512 Supersonic Jet

Creative

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Spike Aerospace S-512 Supersonic Jet. An interesting feature is the windowless passenger cabin. Panoramic displays are used.

Attachments

• Spike S-512-1.jpg
    Spike S-512-1.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 1,136
  • Spike S-512-2.jpg
    Spike S-512-2.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 1,076
  • Spike S-512-3.jpg
    Spike S-512-3.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 1,021
  • Spike S-512-4.jpg
    Spike S-512-4.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 995
  • Spike S-512-5.jpg
    Spike S-512-5.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 946
Large straight wing is impressive. :eek: No problem?

yes
S-512 looks extremely close to HISAC Alenia B1 configuration

Published on Nov 13, 2013

Fly Supersonic, Do More means being able to reach destinations around the world is less than half the time it currently takes. Imagine the impact on personal travel, business, investments and global opportunities if you could fly from NYC to London in just 3 hours, LA to Toyko just 5 hours or soon, London to Mumbai in just 4 hours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g474ItNMMBs&feature=share&list=UU3Nbqr3qIr-VYn9dIfiynLg

Published on Oct 18, 2013

Spike Aerospace is a fast growing aerospace engineering & consulting firm based in Boston. We are pursuing a number of opportunities at the convergence of aviation and aerospace technologies. Of particularly interest, is developing aviation solutions that are faster, safer and more efficient than current products. Using the latest material science, avionics, airframe and engine technologies, we hope to develop a series of next generation aircraft.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Uf1OLuQtzM&list=UU3Nbqr3qIr-VYn9dIfiynLg&feature=share&index=2

Supersonic business jets are really cool, but what do you guys think is the chance of succeeding with such a project? Aerion works on their jet now for how many years? 10 years? And there hasnt been so much output!

blackkite said:
Same as Aerion concept?
http://aerioncorp.com/

Just not similar enough to the Aerion to be just dubbed a simple copy, but close enough to allow
for pointing to "a reasonable concept", when shown to an interested audience. And then, to my
opinion the raison d'être for such companies in most cases is, as mentioned on their site:
"... focuses on bringing an experienced management team to the table to significantly increase
the probability of raising capital".
Not to be misunderstood, principally there's nothing bad about such business concepts, there
actually is capital lying around, which wants to be invested and not always making a real profit
is the main aim. Pecuniary losses can often better the internal revenue ! We just shouldn't expect
ever to see any hardware.

Attachments

• Spike S-512-1.jpg
    Spike S-512-1.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 97
  • Alenia HISAC B1.jpg
    Alenia HISAC B1.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 124
While the windowless plane is not a new concept – freight aircraft and military jets tend not to have windows – commercial aircraft manufacturers have put off the idea until now because of concerns it would be unpopular with passengers.

One US aerospace company has announced plans, though. This year Spike Aerospace said it would include a windowless cabin in its Spike S-512 Supersonic Jet, which is due to launch in 2018.

Vik Kachoria, president of Spike Aerospace, believes the benefits of what he calls the “multiplex digital cabin” will help win over passengers. “They will soon be able to experience a wonderful panoramic view of the outside world,” he says.

However, he says the company plans to include several windows for emergency purposes, which passengers will be able to use for a “quick look” outside.

I'll take two!

Do they take post dated checks? :eek:

They've made some changes to the design: http://news.discovery.com/tech/robotics/supersonic-jet-could-fly-nyc-to-london-in-3-hours-150713.htm

Updated image taken from their website:

Attachments

• 7-1024x480.jpg
    7-1024x480.jpg
    597.1 KB · Views: 770
I didn't look up the range, but this- You are talking maybe shaving three hours on a NY-London flight. Are the economics there, either in the launch cost or operating cost? Frankly, I think this would have greater appeal to the shipping companies if it had the range to do hub-spoke runs non-stop.

according to Spike's blog, the prototype was unmanned - an RC model then?

http://gearsofbiz.com/supersonic-jet-capable-of-flying-around-world-in-hours-makes-first-test-flight/125923

Seven test flights have been conducted, and the proper adjustments were made in order to tweak the aircraft’s balance, center of mass, and control surfaces.
[...]

Seriously?!

A subsonic scale model intended to investigate low-speed handling of the basic wing form most likely. That's no small step on its own as getting a design optimised for supersonic flight to behave at low speed, take-off and landing is not easy... but it's a long way from the finished product too.

Grey Havoc said:
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/652282/son-of-concorde-first-test-flight-supersonic-jet-spike

Some salt may be required.

They claim to be operating from a "Private airfield in New England." That's my old flying grounds.
I can't think of one that would be suitable. (The airfield at the old Ft. Devens might have been suitable, except for being closed since 1995 and currently used for Sports Car trials - I think they'd notice.

No photographs, either.

P-STICKNEY said:
Grey Havoc said:
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/652282/son-of-concorde-first-test-flight-supersonic-jet-spike

They claim to be operating from a "Private airfield in New England." That's my old flying grounds.
I can't think of one that would be suitable. (The airfield at the old Ft. Devens might have been suitable, except for being closed since 1995 and currently used for Sports Car trials - I think they'd notice.

No photographs, either.

Depends a lot on what you think tests like this would require. If it's a relatively small scale RC aircraft, it needn't be that elaborate a field. What about someplace like Hopedale Industrial Park Airfield? An hour or so outside Boston, some available Industrial Park and storage space, a 3200-ft runway, and almost no traffic.

TomS said:
P-STICKNEY said:
Grey Havoc said:

No photographs, either.

Depends a lot on what you think tests like this would require. If it's a relatively small scale RC aircraft, it needn't be that elaborate a field. What about someplace like Hopedale Industrial Park Airfield? An hour or so outside Boston, some available Industrial Park and storage space, a 3200-ft runway, and almost no traffic.

If they are talking about something that's actually representative of a mid-sized jet, it's
1) going to have to be large enough so that the scaling effects are in the same ballpark.
2) going to be a jet.
3200' isn't enough space to even perform successful taxi tests of a small jet.
A more suitable location would be Pease Intl Tradeport, in Portsmouth, NH, or Loring up in Caibou ME.
Both are former SAC bomber bases with more than 10,000' runways, and full crash/fire/rescue services.
Pease is quite local to Boston, and has the Red Hook brewery on site to assist n post-flight analysis and data reduction :)

As it is, they've flown a radio controlled model airplane.

P-STICKNEY said:
If they are talking about something that's actually representative of a mid-sized jet, it's
1) going to have to be large enough so that the scaling effects are in the same ballpark.
2) going to be a jet.
A more suitable location would be Pease Intl Tradeport, in Portsmouth, NH, or Loring up in Caibou ME.
Both are former SAC bomber bases with more than 10,000' runways, and full crash/fire/rescue services.
Pease is quite local to Boston, and has the Red Hook brewery on site to assist n post-flight analysis and data reduction :)

Another possibility is Barnes MAP/ANGB in Westfield, Mass. It has a 9000-foot runway and was originally built as a dispersion field for Westover-based SAC bombers. Other than Massachusetts ANG F-15s and a Gulfstream service center, I don't suspect there's a huge amount of traffic there.

P-STICKNEY said:
2) going to be a jet.

NASA seems comfortable getting useful data from the X-48B, an 8.5% free-flight model. At a similar scale, SX-1.2 only needs to be about 10 feet long and a few hundred pounds. That size vehicle should be able to get in and out of a 3200-ft runway easily.

I'm not wedded to this specific airfield, but let's not assume that they can't get useful data without going to a large airfield. Just recognize that their test objectives here are likely very limited, validating their design tools and making sure that they have a shape that works acceptably at low speed.

The third competitor

Spike Aerospace of Boston, the supersonic-jet company founded in 2013 by physicist-entrepreneur Vik Kachoria, last year adopted a “quiet strategy,” which is one reason the company has shared little information of late, Kachoria tells me. Kachoria says he also had to step back from some of his duties last September through November to focus on an undisclosed health issue.

Spike still plans to fly a two-thirds-scale supersonic jet in 2021 to demonstrate low-boom flight. Kachoria concedes the 2025 target date for flying a full-scale version will likely slip.

— Keith Button

it's kinda giving some signs of SMM activity

So now Safran, P&W, GE, R-R, and CFM are all officially uninterested. Not a lot of serious large jet engine makers left, are there?
GKN Aerospace Engine Systems is an option, but unfortunately they would probably need a core from one of the 5 previously mentioned.

Last edited: