aircraft project when he came back to France in the year 1931,and this aircraft
was in 1934,a very weird concept with a V-wing shape;

http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k65760377/f4.image

Attachments

• Richard.JPG
    Richard.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 561
By the way,

that French designer created many aircraft after 1926 as I read in Arabic magazine,
but all of them never seen the light.

Fantastic plane!! I'd like to hear why that "surfaces" in front of the wing. Really looks interesting.

Thanks hesham

By the way,

there is also a design to Paul Aime Richard with Mr. Lagarde,a 30 to twin hull transatlantic
flying boat of 1936.

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15821.msg210577.html#msg210577

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 355
Alcides said:
Fantastic plane!! I'd like to hear why that "surfaces" in front of the wing. Really looks interesting.

Thanks hesham

Those "surfaces" look like Handley-Page" slats. Moveable slats help maintain smooth airflow over the top of he wing at big angles of attack. Slats can greatly improve STOL performance but create lots of drag at higher cruise speeds, so probably not practical for a long-range airliner.
For extreme examples of leading edge slats look at competitors in the Valdez, Alaska short-landing contests.

Always interesting to see concepts and projects like this one. Aviation and popular science magazines, especially from the 1930s, seemed to be full of visions for giant trans-Atlantic flying boats, some by reputable aircraft designers but most by dreamers. For some reason this class of aircraft acted as a magnet to them. In the real world, however, there was little interest and the (very) few that were actually built either failed to sell or proved to be commercial failures. So it goes.

Schneiderman said:
Always interesting to see concepts and projects like this one. Aviation and popular science magazines, especially from the 1930s, seemed to be full of visions for giant trans-Atlantic flying boats, some by reputable aircraft designers but most by dreamers. For some reason this class of aircraft acted as a magnet to them. In the real world, however, there was little interest and the (very) few that were actually built either failed to sell or proved to be commercial failures. So it goes.

But that was a real Project,mentioned in TU magazine.

No Hesham neither of these are real, they are just rough design concepts. Richard had no capability to build such an aircraft. Just because it was in a magazine does no make it a project; a detailed design that was seriously considered to be built.

hesham said:
By the way,

there is also a design to Paul Aime Richard with Mr. Lagarde,a 30 to twin hull transatlantic
flying boat of 1936.

Unfortunately the images you posted are too low resolution to read. However the original (Aerophile, Feb 1944) can be found here http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k65537783/f8.image.r=

A rough translation of the text indicates that the vanes ahead of the wing are connected to the ailerons and are a form of automatic gust alleviation.

I know that,I send its link before,but there is always a small line between reality and fiction.

Actually you did not provide the link.

I disagree, there is a huge gulf between reality and fiction. The majority of concept designs include features that went way beyond the technology of the era and many were clearly flawed

hesham said:
But that was a real Project,mentioned in TU magazine.

Fron TU 217.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    161.1 KB · Views: 158
  • 2.png
    2.png
    155.1 KB · Views: 140
  • 3.png
    3.png
    220.4 KB · Views: 143
Yes, just a concept, a design study to showcase their idea for the auxiliary control surfaces.

Back
Top Bottom