Levkov hovercraft

I do have some stuff also start to draw the plan of the L5 in vector format.

Welcome here, gantu !
If you have problems with uploading files please tell me or another one of the mods/admins,
as there's a limit of, I think five posts before you are allowed to post attachements.

Many thanks, Gantu !
The L 5 seems to be, what now is called an SES, isn't it ?
And it's the first FAC of that kind, I have seen.

Yes but to build an working model is not so easy.

Hiya, I have just cnc cut the entire hull for a 1/16th scale model of the Levkov L5, Its taken me about 5 months to draw it all out and work it through in autocad and solidworks. Its a complex model to work through, the square holes are for the fan units to sit into before I coat and seal the entire hull. I will post pictures if anyone is interested.

Oh yes would be fine to send me some files.

Thank you

Last edited:
Some links:
https://weaponsandwarfare.com/2015/08/30/levkovs-hovercraft/
http://www.alternativefinland.com/toivo-kaario-hovercraft/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPOwRA2xRBc

From an article link posted by Stenda G over in the 'Propeller Sleds in WWII' thread:
The "Armoured Aerosan (Tunguska type)" was not the largest and most ambitious project. TsKB-1, headed by B.I. Levkov, proposed an armoured aerosan hovercraft in the spring of 1941. Its advantage was that it could travel across swamps, rivers, ice, and snow, not only in the winter, but also in the summer.

Sadly, no sketches of the design were preserved, but the overall specifications made it clear that this was a continuation of Levkov's hovercraft design. The three-man 8-9 ton vehicle would be equipped with two M-62 aircraft engines and have the same armament as the 02SS aerosan.

TsKB-50 representatives supported Levkov's proposal, but B.N. Yuryev and A.A. Arkhangelskiy, engineers representing the NKAP, criticized the proposal. According to calculations, the design was expensive (development and construction would cost 1.5 million rubles), the engines were poorly protected from Molotov cocktails, and were also rare and expensive. Simple logic dictated that a reconnaissance vehicle that cost as much as three KV-1 heavy tanks was excessive. Nevertheless, a draft decree for the development and construction of the aerosan was prepared. Two prototypes with different armament would be built at factory #445 in Moscow.

Requirements for a more humble vehicle were composed in parallel. Its mass was 3.5-4 tons, the crew, armour, and armament were the same as that of the TsKB-50 design. However, work did not proceed past the design stage. The start of the Great Patriotic War required new simpler and cheaper ways of equipping the Red Army with patrol aerosans.

From earlier in the article on the 02SS Aerosan:
The 02SS aerosan had a turret borrowed from the T-40 tank. Other elements of the T-40, such as observation devices and the driver's observation hatch, were also used in the design.

The armament of the aerosan was more impressive than that of the tank. Instead of a 12.7 mm DShK machinegun, the project used the 23 mm MP-6 (PT-23TB) autocannon designed by OKB-16 with a coaxial 7.62 mm DT machinegun. The crew also had personal weapons: 20 grenades and a PPD submachinegun. The submachinegun could be fired from five ports in the hull and turret.

Can someone share dimensions? Also, the torpedoes were to be carrier underneath?

Dave G