Register here

Author Topic: Navy Seeks Rail Guns, Lasers, Cruise Missiles To Improve Pacific Firepower  (Read 70216 times)

Online sferrin

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: Navy Seeks Rail Guns, Lasers, Cruise Missiles To Improve Pacific Firepower
« Reply #345 on: February 01, 2018, 07:53:44 am »
The picture conveniently wraps the barrel so you can't tell but I guess people are using the Blitzer railgun for comparison.

I'm fairly certain the Bltizer railgun is a HELL of a lot bigger and heavier than the MK110 gun there.  (Blitzer is on the truck in the back.  The one in the foreground is a model of a smaller gun they're thinking about.)
"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Offline TomS

« Reply #346 on: February 01, 2018, 09:59:14 am »
That's the Multi-mission Medium Range Railgun GA revealed in 2016. 

http://www.navyrecognition.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3455

The name Blitzer is used kind of indiscriminately.  It's applied to GAs testbed, which is ~3 MJ, fits neatly on the back of a flatbed and looks to be about the size of the gun in the Mk110 housing. 

But it's also applied to the ultimate Navy railgun (5-inch or even AGS replacement), which is an order of magnitude more powerful (somewhere around 20, 32, or even 64 MJ, depending on who you ask)

Offline DrRansom

• CLEARANCE: Secret
  • I really should change my personal text
« Reply #348 on: February 01, 2018, 02:16:14 pm »
It seriously looks like China is going to beat the USN in testing a railgun at sea.

Yay for assured American technological superiority.  ::) Maybe this might get the USN R&D leadership a kick in the pants, but who knows?

Online sferrin

« Reply #349 on: February 01, 2018, 03:44:26 pm »
It seriously looks like China is going to beat the USN in testing a railgun at sea.

Yay for assured American technological superiority.  ::) Maybe this might get the USN R&D leadership a kick in the pants, but who knows?

China realizes you have to do more than talk and show power points, you have to have a PLAN.  In rail guns, hypersonics (or even supersonic) the word that best describes the West in general, and the US in particular, is "aimless".  The US has TWO railguns, built by two different companies, and what are they doing with them? Not much.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 05:19:14 pm by sferrin »

Offline DrRansom

• I really should change my personal text
« Reply #350 on: February 01, 2018, 05:35:02 pm »
I am in total agreement. The organization and thinking has produced >20 years of R&D yielding virtually no fielded systems. The US has pissed away its entire technological advantage.

We've reached a point where any strategy assuming GH tech superiority is laughable.

There are so many problems, but I think two are critical:
1. A pathological bent to delay development for the next big thing.
2. No patient long term technology development plans that exist outside of individual programs and are protected from short term fluctuations.

Online sferrin

« Reply #351 on: February 02, 2018, 04:22:39 am »
I am in total agreement. The organization and thinking has produced >20 years of R&D yielding virtually no fielded systems. The US has pissed away its entire technological advantage.

We've reached a point where any strategy assuming GH tech superiority is laughable.

2. No patient long term technology development plans that exist outside of individual programs and are protected from short term fluctuations.

3. Pathological terror of risk. 
4. No PLAN.  There was a program sometime back (don't recall which it was) that was successfully tested and then allowed to die on the vine. "The DoD hasn't stated a use for it"  or some such.   Basically, "this speedy missile is pretty cool but we don't have a clue what we'd use it for".  (Insert Picard facepalm.)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 06:03:16 am by sferrin »

Offline mrmalaya

• Consider it done.
« Reply #352 on: February 02, 2018, 06:32:24 am »
Re China-is it genuine? The twitter  image shows the BAE gun?

Offline bobbymike

« Reply #353 on: February 02, 2018, 06:36:30 am »

3. Pathological terror of risk. 
4. No PLAN.  There was a program sometime back (don't recall which it was) that was successfully tested and then allowed to die on the vine. "The DoD hasn't stated a use for it"  or some such.   Basically, "this speedy missile is pretty cool but we don't have a clue what we'd use it for".  (Insert Picard facepalm.)
While 2) is true in many instances I would add 2a) But also, overly long drawn out underfunded technology plans that when finally showing promise of the new tech get cancelled.
Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

Charles W. Eliot

Offline totoro

• Binkov's Battlegrounds
« Reply #354 on: February 02, 2018, 07:19:13 am »

Overall barrel layout seems rectangular.
www.youtube.com/c/binkovsbattlegrounds - military analysis videos

Offline mrmalaya

• Consider it done.
« Reply #355 on: February 02, 2018, 07:21:37 am »
That is more compelling...

Online sferrin

« Reply #356 on: February 02, 2018, 08:41:15 am »
I wonder if they got General Atomics' design the same time they snagged EMALs info?  I also wonder what the purpose of the larger diameter section is.  ???

Offline TomS

« Reply #357 on: February 02, 2018, 09:44:24 am »
The BAE railgun prototype has a similar shape.  I suspect it's related to recoil management.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 09:47:14 am by TomS »

Offline fredymac

« Reply #358 on: February 02, 2018, 10:36:27 am »
Additional pictures.  The second picture apparently is a lab model. It has a round barrel but the overall shape is similar.

Online sferrin

« Reply #359 on: February 02, 2018, 11:26:01 am »
That raises more questions than it answers.  Why don't the larger copper discs go to the end of the barrel?  Are they for cooling?  Does it take a big jolt to get the round moving and maybe less to keep accelerating?  Coil-gun first then railgun (maybe to reduce a giant arcing hotspot as the round goes from resting to moving)?  ???
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 11:29:11 am by sferrin »