Register here

Author Topic: Army Wants 'Air Droppable' Light Tank & Ultra-Light Vehicles  (Read 65544 times)

Offline Colonial-Marine

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
  • Fighting the UAV mafia.
Re: Army Wants 'Air Droppable' Light Tank & Ultra-Light Vehicles
« Reply #240 on: April 23, 2018, 08:45:49 pm »
To me it sort of sounds like the Armored Systems Modernization program before the Future Combat Systems craze.

Personally I don't see the need to incorporate unmanned capability into the primary set of vehicles. Instead I think they should concentrate on smaller unmanned designs to complement the manned designs. That way if the autonomous systems aren't ready on time it won't hold up fielding the NGCV.

Still would like to see a replacement for the M109A7 included in all of this.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

Offline bobbymike

« Reply #241 on: April 24, 2018, 09:09:45 pm »
http://defense-update.com/20180424_yagu_new.html

Plasan unveiled today it’s all-new, lightweight protected vehicle – Yagu at Expo Seguridad event in Mexico City this week. In fact, plasan transformed the 767 kg commercial Arctic Cat Wildcat 4 1000 four-seat all-terrain vehicle into a 1.48-ton (dry weight) fully-protected assault vehicle.

The vehicle is designed to behave like an All Terrain Vehicle (ATV) but offers its crew of three persons the all-around 360 ballistic protection at a level of B6+ (similar to STANAG 4569 Level II) effective against 5.56X45, 7.62X39 and 7.62×51 threats. WIth front and side windows and all-round cameras the protected capsule provides excellent situational awareness and response, using an overhead ultra-light remotely operated weapon, that mounts a 5.56 or 7.62 machine gun and EO sensors operated by the crew from within the air-conditioned, armored capsule.
Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

Charles W. Eliot

Offline bobbymike

« Reply #242 on: May 01, 2018, 12:41:43 am »
https://www.military.com/daily-news/2018/04/28/could-armys-quest-leap-ahead-technologies-be-its-undoing.html

The U.S. Army is locked on a path to replace its tanks, helicopters and other major combat systems -- a daunting venture in itself. But the true challenge for the service may be avoiding the minefield of mistakes that led to the multibillion-dollar demise of another leap-ahead plan, Future Combat Systems, less than a decade ago.

As with FCS, the Army is gambling big on advanced technologies, including some that don't exist yet in an operational form. It's a strategy that service leaders believe will place the Army ahead of its global competitors.

But military modernization experts watching the effort unfold warn that the service must guard against program flaws that have poisoned past dreams of a future force: poor salesmanship, weak leaders, priorities that shift over time, and the Army's true Achilles heel -- the enticement of leap-ahead technology.
Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

Charles W. Eliot

Offline jsport

• I really should change my personal text
« Reply #243 on: May 01, 2018, 07:45:14 am »
Great find Boobymike
https://www.military.com/daily-news/2018/04/28/could-armys-quest-leap-ahead-technologies-be-its-undoing.html

yes most GS13s and LTCs need to be out of decision making loop plus requirements can not be very fluid, but more importantly the
 "535 members on your board of directors -- 100 senators and 435 members of the House" who are protecting contractors who need severe financial repercussions when they break promises is a demand. 

Offline bobbymike

« Reply #244 on: July 01, 2018, 12:50:38 pm »
https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2018/06/28/from-a-bradley-replacement-to-soldier-controlled-robot-swarms-big-moves-coming-with-army-robots/

Over the next few months, soldiers, scientists and top Army officials will establish how troops will use robots, from a single soldier directing a robot swarm to an optionally-manned Bradley replacement that will control its robot wingman vehicles in future combat formations.

The future of combined ground and air operations for the base of the ground forces, the squads and companies that do the lead fighting from scouts to riflemen, will see automation increased the range and effects of every soldier.

Those pending developments and others involving robotics and automation in scout and infantry units were outlined Wednesday in a conference call with reporters by two officials at the center of everything robot in the Army – Don Sando, deputy to the commanding general of the Maneuver Center of Excellence and John Miller, the deputy director of the Army’s Cross Functional Team that oversees the Next Generation Combat Vehicle, also out of MCOE at Fort Benning, Georgia.

Charles W. Eliot

Offline jsport

• I really should change my personal text
Re: Army Wants 'Air Droppable' Light Tank
« Reply #245 on: July 28, 2018, 09:34:50 am »
Design a new one?

I don't see how there is much room for improvement over a modernized M8 AGS derivative.

Save the extra belly armor and anti-IED kit for once the thing actually gets to the ground, else I don't see how they'll possibly be able to air-drop it.
Agree  a modernized M8 AGS w/ the 75mm ARES automatic cannon mount which demoed BMD operation seems like easiest Air droppable tank solution.