alspug

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
I just bought a small Magazine on the Swordfish , as much as I love the aircraft I actually bought it because of an article on the Lilo floating runway , tested by a Swordfish .
http://www.pocketmags.com/viewmagazine.aspx?catid=1030&category=Aviation+%26+Transport&subcatid=188&subcategory=Aviation&title=Aeroplane+Icons&titleid=1681&issueid=56452
page 100 to 103 contain the story .
I do not have a scanner and am not sure on copyright however I have searched the forums and found nothing on this particular floating runway . it seems to be a very practical and easily constructed piece of kit . The inventor was a Mr R M Hamilton , The runway was made in Lamlash harbour . I do not want to copy the text and would appreciate if another board member actually knows something more about this . it seems fascinating . The photos are incredible . It also states in the article that the inventer also designed the "swiss roll pier " used in the Normandy invasion .
not a %100 sure of procedures for links to other forums but the only information I could find in addition to the magazine is on world naval ships forum under lilypond

http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675053379_Floating-Air-Strips_emergency-landing-field_Lily-Pond_hexagonal-segments

short video

The Swordfish using JATO to take off again is a nice touch.

Intriguing.. is the sudden deceleration about 0:33 due to an arrestor wire? And any idea what gets jettisoned right at the end of the clip?

From the way the tail comes up, I think the sudden deceleration is nothing more than applying the wheel brakes. I believe the item which falls away is the rocket-assisted takeoff (RATO) booster which you can see being prepared at about 0:42. Cheers, Matthew

swordfish_rato.jpg
tn_15_lilypadrunway.jpg

Found some pictures of project lily online at nevil shute foudation

Came across the article a few days ago, but couldn't find this thread to post it in . . .

Short form , a Ferry Operator got hold of some of the 'lily pads' in an attempt to make floating bridge across the River Severn.

cheers,
Robin.

Attachments

• Lilo_78.jpg
    Lilo_78.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 51
  • Lilo_79.jpg
    Lilo_79.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 51