Register here

Author Topic: Messerschmitt Me 329  (Read 3542 times)

Offline Hood

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: Messerschmitt Me 329
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2018, 04:36:25 am »
I had wondered if it was Bf 161/162 related but it doesn't seem to quite match. The only other thought I had was perhaps a proposed variant of the Me 261?

Offline Jemiba

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2018, 04:43:18 am »
You may be right, but I'm not sure, if that girder represents the exact position of the wing,
or if the whole mockup was just built to represent the fuselage. And as it is a mockup, I
would not expect too much conformity with the real thing, as built in just two prototypes,
that may not have been either, what series aircraft would have been.
It takes a long time, before all mistakes are made ...

Offline newsdeskdan

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2018, 04:50:58 am »
Timing wise, photos of the Me 329 mock-up seem to first appear in a report in Feb 43. I would guess that it was constructed during autumn-winter 1942. By this time, three examples of the Me 261 had already been built so it seems unlikely that a mock-up of it would still be needed. The Me 264 V1 first flew in December 1942 (albeit as a 'flying mock-up' rather than a true prototype). I would guess it's a mock-up of the Me 264, which was still a work in progress at this point and for which a static mock-up might still have been useful. Such a mock-up might have catered for a range of potential alterations or alternative configurations.

Offline Wurger

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2018, 01:06:25 pm »
If the mockup at the right is the Me 265, looking at those proportions the size of the left mockup isn`t likely to be as massive as the Me 264, not counting the afore mentioned differences. I would put it in the Bomber B category or at the "Arbeitsflugzeug" program, although, AFAIK, there were no Messerschmitt tender.

Offline newsdeskdan

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2018, 01:42:17 pm »
If the mockup at the right is the Me 265, looking at those proportions the size of the left mockup isn`t likely to be as massive as the Me 264, not counting the afore mentioned differences. I would put it in the Bomber B category or at the "Arbeitsflugzeug" program, although, AFAIK, there were no Messerschmitt tender.

It could actually be something we don't otherwise know about. The Me 265 and numerous other projects might have vanished without trace had it not been for Lippisch's 1976 book. Whatever it is, it doesn't appear to have been a product of Abteilung L, which would make it a product of Voigt's main project office - and much of their work is very little known.

Offline Wurger

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2018, 06:48:00 am »
from the Seifert/Konrad brothers stable? Their work before Messerschmitt is also intriguing.