Lockheed Martin SR-72?

Pity this doesn't include boom-related seismic activity.

..and this

Go to settings, select 1 day, all magnitudes, US and check out Nevada

Be interesting to compare seismic rather than sound data for these recent booms with those from the 1980s and 1990s. I might even dust off my 25-year-old request to the BGS for seismic data.

Chris

I lean towards aircraft since some said "double-booms" like an aircraft would make. Any supersonic aircraft could make these; I remember hearing these from the B-58s when I was a kid. I would also like to know how many of these rumblings are heard near supersonic corridors and what the weather conditions were at the time they were heard, because that would also affect which way the sound traveled.

Yeah sorry about the source though at least they managed to collate some disparate sources of information, I will give them that. This is probably just increased training activity as these appear to be training areas anyway.

Has anyone got a glimpse of the demonstrator Flying out of Plant 42

Mildly surprised nom of the enthusiasts who are in local area have captured a photos of it’

Cheers

Stephen Trimble Tweeted out

Jack O'Bannion, VP of Strategy at Skunk Works, is speaking today at SciTech conference. He showed a slide of the SR-72 and said: "Without digital transformation that aircraft you see there could not have been made." Soooo ... does that mean that aircraft was made?

Picks this thread from Greatest Planes That Never Were ...before anyone asks if I subscribe to this ummm sinteresting tabloid of ours

Their excellent research carried out by their reporters are second to none

I do love the use of the bomber adjective ...

Back to thread so no enthusiasts around Palmdale have gotten a glimpse or far away shot?

Cheers

RavenOne said:
Has anyone got a glimpse of the demonstrator Flying out of Plant 42

Mildly surprised nom of the enthusiasts who are in local area have captured a photos of it’

Cheers

Here's the thing. Plant 42 is not Groom Lake. It is surrounded by public roads (and parks), and is in an increasingly urbanized area. There is a major highway within a mile or two, shopping malls, etc. You can't really fly anything secretly in and out of there.

If there was a demonstrator they would truck it to Edwards or Groom Lake to fly it.

A Bloomberg article on the recent LM comments.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-fastest-spy-plane-may-be-back-and-hypersonic

Notice this quote from the same O’Banion as I have not seen this mentioned before (but might have missed it).

“But now we can digitally print that engine with an incredibly sophisticated cooling system integral into the material of the engine itself and have that engine survive for multiple firings for routine operation.”

Taking these quotes as a whole it certainly sounds like they may have at the very least built either a technology demonstrator or full prototype.

Boeing plane supposedly called "Valkyrie II"

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/aviation/a16025553/we-know-a-tiny-bit-more-about-boeings-sr-71-replacement-concept/

That's perfect, but what it has to do with this topic?

flateric said:
That's perfect, but what it has to do with this topic?
My most humblest of apologies forgot the Boeing design had it own thread. :-[

Cross posting from the REL thread as this part of the lecture is relevant to the SR-72. I assume they are thinking of an upgraded version of the proposed LAPCAT engine.

Images of the SR-72 featured prominently (title slide and it's own dedicated slide), received a direct callout as a potential application, and a mention that Skylon's US location in Colorado was explicitly chosen for proximity to Lockheed Martin, and that the head of their US operations is the former head of Lockheed Martin's 'New Vehicles' division. So yeah, very much nudge-nudge-wink-wink-saynomore there.

Mark Wood did a guest lecture at the IET recently, source summary here.

Just up the road from Air Products at Pueblo.

Chris

Attachments

• You-Aint-Seen-Me-Right-600x458.jpg
    You-Aint-Seen-Me-Right-600x458.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 716
So yeah, very much nudge-nudge-wink-wink-saynomore there.

Odd given that Aerojet already confirmed that it's Aerojet propulsion on the plane.

marauder2048 said:
So yeah, very much nudge-nudge-wink-wink-saynomore there.

Odd given that Aerojet already confirmed that it's Aerojet propulsion on the plane.

I imagine REL are angling to replace them.

Which would be tantamount to scrapping and restarting the entire SR-72 effort.

marauder2048 said:

Maybe worth it if a REL supplied power plant is a better option, especially as it’s hard to say exactly how far the SR-72 development has actually got.

Flyaway said:
marauder2048 said:

Maybe worth it if a REL supplied power plant is a better option, especially as it’s hard to say exactly how far the SR-72 development has actually got.

Or if there is such an aircraft and disinformation is not the whole story.

Flyaway said:
marauder2048 said:

Given they seem to have been working on it for years now one would think they'd be fairly far down the path. And anyway, has REL ever even tested an engine? (And I don't mean, "yeah we have an awesome heat exchanger we tested", I mean the whole enchilada, from intake to nozzle.)

sferrin said:
Flyaway said:
marauder2048 said:

Given they seem to have been working on it for years now one would think they'd be fairly far down the path. And anyway, has REL ever even tested an engine? (And I don't mean, "yeah we have an awesome heat exchanger we tested", I mean the whole enchilada, from intake to nozzle.)

I am sure that REL will one day test a full scale SABRE engine from intake to nozzle, once they have all the necessary funding in place.

FighterJock said:
I am sure that REL will one day test a full scale SABRE engine from intake to nozzle, once they have all the necessary funding in place.

Even subscale would be something. Until they do though we don't know it will work as advertised. (We've seen more than a few of those fall by they wayside over the decades.)

There's also the minor issue of there being no discernible Air Force interest in sub-cooled
methane or cryogenic hydrogen fueled re-usable air-breathers particularly as it would make
very little sense for a regional ISR platform.

Great find!

So one of the best pieces on hypersonics I've read in years comes from the American Chemical Society...

marauder2048 said:
Great find!

So one of the best pieces on hypersonics I've read in years comes from the American Chemical Society...

"A large fraction of the research on endothermic fuels published nowadays in chemistry journals comes from scientists in China. Guozhu Liu and coworkers at Tianjin University also studied the effect of zeolites on JP-10 cracking. "

Well that makes my heart soar. Also, I thought the whole point of the X-51 was to demonstrate the viability of the process of cracking a heavy fuel into lighter components. ???

sferrin said:
Also, I thought the whole point of the X-51 was to demonstrate the viability of the process of cracking a heavy fuel into lighter components. ???

JP-7 certainly but JP-10 has a tendency, due to its coking behavior, to inactivate/poison the catalysts they've looked at.

USAF set to begin dual mode ramjet design for hypersonic vehicle

The US Air Force has set plans to begin the competitive phase of a plan to develop a dual mode ramjet for a new class of missiles and aircraft with top speeds over Mach 3.

”The overall objective is to identify, develop, mature, and demonstrate technologies that enable refurbishable high speed (M>3) capability for intelligence/surveillance/reconnaissance (ISR) and strike platforms by 2028, and for quick-turn fully reusable systems by 2035,” the AFRL stated in 2016.

“It is envisioned that the earlier demonstration systems will be air-launched utilising rocket-boost to reach hypersonic cruise speeds, and later employing combined cycle engines that permit runway operations,” the AFRL says.

Also are they hiring in people for the program.

Everything is perfect except the fact that model doesn't look like SR-72 official renderings

Attachments

• landscape-1506607573-dk0biquw4aejmdx.jpg
    landscape-1506607573-dk0biquw4aejmdx.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 786
  • free-3d-printable-of-the-week-don-foley-3d-printable-sr-72-aircraft-9.jpg
    free-3d-printable-of-the-week-don-foley-3d-printable-sr-72-aircraft-9.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 779
just musing, are there any mooted dimensions for the SR.72 concept ? I have seen various figures quoted for length and span but none seem to confer with each other ? another query is undercarriage placement and configuration, any thoughts ?

cheers, Joe

Highly likely a sub-scale demonstrator/prototype has flown already. But I havent seen anything regarding SR-72 program for quite some time...

Highly likely a sub-scale demonstrator/prototype has flown already. But I havent seen anything regarding SR-72 program for quite some time...

Why is this highly likely?

Falcon & a couple other related projects may have coalesced into something that went dark.