Consolidated-Vultee L-13 spotter/liaison plane (Model 105)

AeroFranz

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
I was watching this youtube video and saw a liaison aircraft that I am not familiar with (around the 40:22 sec mark)

I took an admittedly poor screen capture below.

The configuration is entirely conventional, it's a tail dragger with a lot of high-lift devices and easily foldable.

At first I thought it might be a Boeing YL-15, which was designed to a similar mission but it's too dissimilar.

Anyone know its designation?

Attachments

• Boeing spotter plane.jpg
    Boeing spotter plane.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 354
Hi!

Looks like this is Stinson L-13 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stinson_L-13

Here it's photo with aurfaces folded
http://books.google.ru/books?id=O-ADAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA141&dq=popular+mechanics+1947+%22cloudster%22&hl=en&ei=8fvYTP70B4WnnAe9nO3pCQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=true

Thanks for a movie :cool:

Definitely a Convair L-13 (or Model 105 — not to be mistaken for the Stinson 105!).

Attachments

• 1948 Consolidated - Vultee Aircraft - Corp. Press Photo 2.JPG
    1948 Consolidated - Vultee Aircraft - Corp. Press Photo 2.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 324
  • 1948 Consolidated - Vultee Aircraft - Corp. Press Photo.JPG
    1948 Consolidated - Vultee Aircraft - Corp. Press Photo.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 301
  • l13-2.jpg
    l13-2.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 287
  • l13-3c.jpg
    l13-3c.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 289
  • L13.jpg
    L13.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 33
  • convair-L13sprayer.jpg
    convair-L13sprayer.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 38
  • L-13 three-view.gif
    L-13 three-view.gif
    103.3 KB · Views: 55
Specifications:
span: 40'6", 12.34 m
length: 31'9", 9.68 m
engine: 1 Franklin O‑425‑9
max. speed: 115 mph, 185 km/h

Designed by Stinson, two XL‑13 prototypes were built by Vultee with serials 45‑58708/58709. These aircraft had an XO‑425‑5 engine.
Production was undertaken by Convair as the L‑13A. 300 were built with serials 46‑068/213 and 47‑267/420. Aircraft with serials 46-188, 46-190 and 47-288 were used as EL-13A.
29 of the L‑13As were converted for Arctic use as L‑13B, being capable of having either wheels, floats or skis fitted. The serials of the aircraft were 46‑072, 46‑110/111 and 47‑395/420. A further development designated as L‑13C was cancelled.

In early 1945 the XL-13 designation was linked to a Fairchild design for a two litter ambulance aircraft with 1 Lycoming O-435 engine.

Jos, first time I've heard of a Fairchild XL-13 project! Ever seen a picture of that project? You've definitely made me very curious...

As for the "EL-13A" designation, I'm puzzled. What would the "E" prefix stand for in the 1948 system? I don't think I've seen it used anywhere else before... :eek:

The youtube video mentioned this as being a "Boeing spotter plane", which is obviously wrong. Thanks for finding the answer!

btw, i thought i had included a link to the video in my first post, but i don't see it now. Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuFC9aS7Rvk

Stargazer2006 said:
As for the "EL-13A" designation, I'm puzzled. What would the "E" prefix stand for in the 1948 system? I don't think I've seen it used anywhere else before... :eek:
"Exempt". An aircraft in use for testing that is exempted from application of Technical Order changes. In essence, this would allow the aircraft to deviate from the standard, approved fleet configuration(s). This would be later replaced by the "J" (temporary modification) or "N" (permanent modification) mission modifier characters.

aim9xray said:
"Exempt". An aircraft in use for testing that is exempted from application of Technical Order changes. In essence, this would allow the aircraft to deviate from the standard, approved fleet configuration(s). This would be later replaced by the "J" (temporary modification) or "N" (permanent modification) mission modifier characters.

Thanks! I remember now reading about the "Exempt" category but had not seen it in use before. Only knew the use of "J" and "N"...

AeroFranz said:
I thought i had included a link to the video in my first post, but i don't see it now.

Arf... I know what happened. This is a major technical bug of this forum that occurred to me several times. Whenever I edit the initial post of a topic (to edit its title) and it contains a link to a video, that link is automatically wiped out when I click on the "Post" button. I realize I never mentioned it to PaulMM before. Probably should...

Stargazer2006 said:
Jos, first time I've heard of a Fairchild XL-13 project! Ever seen a picture of that project? You've definitely made me very curious...

In those days the 'E' was for 'Exempt'.
As far as the Fairchild XL-13 project is concerned - unfortunately I have recently moved and my library is still in boxes. I would, however, guess that there is no photo of that project and that it was never more than an idea.

Stargazer2006 said:
aim9xray said:

Thanks! I remember now reading about the "Exempt" category but had not seen it in use before. Only knew the use of "J" and "N"...

AeroFranz said:
I thought i had included a link to the video in my first post, but i don't see it now.

Arf... I know what happened. This is a major technical bug of this forum that occurred to me several times. Whenever I edit the initial post of a topic (to edit its title) and it contains a link to a video, that link is automatically wiped out when I click on the "Post" button. I realize I never mentioned it to PaulMM before. Probably should...

Its the fault of the Youtube embedding addon for the forum, if you edit any post with a video in it it can wipe the video. While you can still see the video in normal view, if you hit "Toggle View" to see the code, its blank.

I have contacted the developer - in the meantime if editing a post with a video link in, copy the link, edit the post, then put the link back. Works for me.

Thanks Paul. On a couple of occasions I thought of doing that, but this was typically a case when I forgot about it... :-[