Sukhoi Su-35S debuts at Paris Air Show 2013

Triton

Donald McKelvy
Reaction score
Website
deeptowild.blogspot.com
Published on Jun 16, 2013 by Aviation Week

Sukhoi's Su-35S made its debut at the 2013 Paris air show and with exceptional maneuverability, the fighter is set to be the star of the show. Analysis by Bill Sweetman.

http://youtu.be/ddQ-OoUraqs

The Su-35 on the tarmac and in flight at Le Bourget today. Weather was foul and so they're not as nice as I wish they could be...

Dsc_0059.jpg

Dsc_0061.jpg

Dsc_0065.jpg

Dsc_0066.jpg

Dsc_0063.jpg

Dsc_0485d.jpg

Dsc_0486d.jpg

I don't know - I think the weather nicely matches the finish on the plane...

The asymmetry in the cockpit is pretty neat - I hadn't noticed that before.

The finish is fine. If you mean build quality. Any close up pictures of IRST?

And what cockpit asymmetry?

flanker said:
The finish is fine. If you mean build quality. Any close up pictures of IRST?

Not really. Here's the IRST from some of my unresized photos:

Attachments

• IRST.jpg
    IRST.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 66
Sukhoi Test Pilot Explains ‘Supermaneuverability’
By Bill Sweetman
Source: Aviation Week & Space Technology
June 24, 2013

Source:
http://www.aviationweek.com/Article.aspx?id=/article-xml/AW_06_24_2013_p33-589854.xml&p=1

The high agility demonstrated by the Sukhoi Su-35S fighter at the Paris air show is rooted in a Russian concept in which close-range, low-speed air combat remains important, according to Sukhoi chief test pilot Sergey Bogdan.

The aircraft, equipped with three-axis thrust-vectoring and fully integrated flight and propulsion control, performed maneuvers here which no other operational fighter can match. These include a controlled vertical, flat-attitude descent with the aircraft rotating, and a dynamic deceleration, or “cobra”, leading to a small-radius 180-deg. turn and course reversal. It demonstrated a dynamic deceleration followed by extremely slow flight at a near-90-deg. angle of attack.

“Most of the fighters we have available today with vectored thrust, the Su-30MKI and MKM, can perform these maneuvers,” Bogdan tells Aviation Week. “Where this aircraft is different is that it has more thrust, so when it performs the 'bell' maneuver, it can stand still, with afterburning on, and can sustain flight at 120-140 kph.”

The emphasis in “supermaneuverability” runs counter to much Western air combat doctrine, which stresses high speed, the avoidance of the slower “merge” and tactics that do not lose the aircraft's energy. Bogdan, however, says supermaneuverability can be essential.

“The classical air combat starts at high speed, but if you miss on the first shot—and the probability is there because there are maneuvers to avoid missiles—the combat will be more prolonged,” he says. “After maneuvering, the aircraft will be at a lower speed, but both aircraft may be in a position where they cannot shoot. But supermaneuverability allows an aircraft to turn within three seconds and take another shot.”

However, Bogdan adds, “you have to be careful using that weapon. It's like a sniper—you can't shoot many times from the same spot because you disclose your position.”

As for the doctrine that energy should be conserved, Bogdan notes: “The theory of air combat has always evolved. In the 1940s and 1950s, the first priority was height, then speed, then maneuver and then firepower. Then with the third and fourth generation, it was speed, then height and then maneuver. Supermaneuverability adds to this. It's the knife in the soldier's pocket.”

Bogdan repeats a claim made when the Su-27 first performed the cobra maneuver: The rapid change in velocity can cause a Doppler fire-control radar to break lock. The maneuver is more useful on the Su-35S because the pilot can fly the aircraft out in any direction.

Matej said:
I agree, the weather was really bad (as usual in Paris last years).

Yes... but in the previous years there was always a time during the afternoon when the clouds would recede and the sun would shine. This year it was rain, rain and more rain.

But it's apparently all over the planet. Everywhere I hear reports of this year being the most bizarre in terms of weather for decades...

Anyway, Matej, I was glad to finally meet you (albeit briefly) but equally sad that we couldn't go for a drink after the show... I could have kicked myself when I realized we didn't even take a picture of us together for the forum! :'(

Stargazer2006 said:
Anyway, Matej, I was glad to finally meet you (albeit briefly) but equally sad that we couldn't go for a drink after the show... I could have kicked myself when I realized we didn't even take a picture of us together for the forum! :'(

It was not my first, nor last presence at Le Bourget ;) But this year it was really busy for me, I need to spend there more time.

Anyway, TVC on the airplane looks sometimes funny. Pilot has not yet decided, where he wants to go :)

Attachments

• Su-35_TVC.jpg
    Su-35_TVC.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 51
By the way what's the latest info - and even more 'confirmed information' - on the repeatedly discussed deal to China ?

In several Chinese forums the guys again go crazy and again the posts are ranging from a 'complete denial' to '100 aircraft' with the first 4 this year and even a production line of the 117S powerplant !???!
???

Any info with less hype ??

Deino

Well, first 4 this year sound like complete BS. As to 117S production line in China, i raise BS flag to that too.

As far as i know delivery is due to start in 2015 and there were also rumors there will be a service center made, with Chinese workers.

Sukhoi Su-35 sales brochure uploaded by Dave Majumdar of the DEW Line blog:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/149976417/su-35-buklet-eng-pdf