Register here

Author Topic: Russian and Soviet Aircraft Carriers  (Read 131445 times)

Offline JAZZ

• CLEARANCE: Secret
Russian and Soviet Aircraft Carriers
« on: June 03, 2007, 07:05:47 pm »
The Soviets had a number of stilborn aircraft carrier projects from the 1930's all the way through to the 1990's.

One of the most studied was Project-72 dating back to WW-II (1943) I think. Other projects include Project-69A, Project-85 and Project 1123 (Moskova concepts) before getting to the P1153 Orel, P1160 and then the Kiev, Kuznetsov, and Ulyanvosk. Only current carrier under construction is the rebuild of A Gorshkov for the Indian Navy 

Offline smurf

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: Russian and Soviet Aircraft Carriers
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 01:05:40 am »
There is too much on all these to re-post here.  Anyone interested "search" on
http://www.phpbbplanet.com/warshipprojects/index.php?mforum=warshipprojects
[there is a Russian Navy section, but stuff also gets into the "Own Designs" and Real Ships and other discussions.]
Do not miss the "Wunderwaffe" links.  Excellent drawings.

Offline JAZZ

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 02:44:37 pm »
The Soviets were worked on developing aircraft carrier concepts through the 1950-60s. Here is the Project -85 from the early 60's and Project 1160 from the early 1970s.

Offline gral_rj

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 04:49:36 am »
Is that picture of Project 85 from the Morskaya Kollektsiya magazine?

Offline gollevainen

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 02:11:04 am »
I think that its the Jazz himself that have done the colouring...am I right?

Anyway I've been trying to write some sort of summary of the Soviet carrier development, I've actually managed to write the part I & II which covers the pre and post WWII era and as well as the Moskvas and Kievs. I wrote them couple years ago and I've since have had some additional information tough nothing dramatical. Anyway I'm trying to get grib of myself to do the part III which would cover the 1160, 1153, Later Kievs, Khalzan, Kuznetsovs and Ulyanovsk classes...

Part I & II are found in SDF and in Defencetalk forum.

Offline flateric

• Deputy Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 03:18:14 am »
They are from Morskaya Kollektsiya
aviable here http://www.wunderwaffe.narod.ru/Magazine/MK/index.htm
"There are many disbelievers in
stealth, more than a few of them truly technically ignorant and proud of it." Sherm Mullin, Skunk Works

Offline gollevainen

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 11:51:38 am »
Could you be more spesific from wich issue? I've tought I've looked them all and not seeing those, but I could be wrong ???

Offline flateric

• Deputy Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 11:58:50 am »
Sorry...I was fooled by artist's style - it's definitely is the same artist that makes drawings for Modelist-Konstruktor magazine section that has the same name (Morskaya Kollektziya).

BTW, found interesting site WLFSCD -
http://atrinaflot.narod.ru/81_publ.htm
Soviet military laser ship, soviet aircraft carriers projects 1920-1955, etc.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 12:04:58 pm by flateric »
"There are many disbelievers in
stealth, more than a few of them truly technically ignorant and proud of it." Sherm Mullin, Skunk Works

Offline JAZZ

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2007, 03:49:25 am »
Sorry fellas, the drawings and pic were down loaded from an internet site, the first drawing I have rendered, the second is not so much a rendering, but colouring the orginal existing grey-scale. may be this stuff belongs in the art section??

However, I am very interested in the design linage of soviet/russian carriers. Anything you want rendered??...

Offline gollevainen

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2007, 10:02:27 pm »
Well 1153 would be nice 8). Anyway I'm currently drawing the pr. 10800 Khalzan class helicoptercarrier for the Mconrads shipbucket site and in future propaply the other soviet carriers as well...

Offline JAZZ

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2007, 04:05:24 pm »
P1153 there seems to be a few colour and black and white photos of the model. Here is one, so not sure if its worth doing a colour rendering??

Unless their is a graphic you are thinking of and wish to post it and i can see what I can do with it.

Cheers JAZZ

Offline KCX

• CLEARANCE: Restricted
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2007, 08:59:39 pm »
(Articles from - http://www.webcom.com/~amraam/rcar.html)

While the Moskvas were revolutionary in the sense that they were the first ships dedicated to carrying an air wing, it was clear that they were insufficient to fulfill the full role of aircraft carriers in fleet operations. The key problem was that they could not effectively provide the fleet with organic fighter cover. The Russian Navy then took the next step, assembling a specification for a new type of ship to carry not only helicopters, but fixed-wing fighter aircraft.
This resulted in the most ambitious design specification for any Russian aircraft carrier to date. Named Project OREL, this nuclear-powered ship would have displaced 80,000 tons and carried seventy conventional (that is, non-vertical takeoff/landing) aircraft. These aircraft would serve in an American-style multipurpose air wing, capable of fulfilling the fighter, attack, and airborne early-warning roles. There were some differences between the OREL vessel and an American supercarrier, primarily in OREL's own battery of dedicated antiship missiles (which continued to appear on Russian carrier designs). However, the philosophies underlying both designs were very similar, a point underscored by an order reportedly from Defense Minister Grechko himself: "Why are you splitting hairs here? Make an aircraft carrier like the Americans have, with that kind of aircraft fleet."

The OREL design never made it to production. Marshal Grechko died and the Defense Ministry was taken over by Marshal Ustinov, who did not share Grechko's enthusiasm for large-deck aircraft carriers. Elements within the Defense Ministry and the Navy itself, who viewed smaller designs which carried vertical takeoff/landing (VTOL) aircraft as superior in terms of cost-effectiveness, intervened to halt the progress of OREL. Instead of a new large carrier design, compromise work was done with the Kiev class of VTOL carriers, which were already beginning to enter service.

P.S : If anybody have BIGGER or BETTER pictures about this Orel class CVN, please post. Because I really need them..... ::)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 09:03:13 pm by KCX »

Offline KCX

• CLEARANCE: Restricted
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2007, 09:06:44 pm »
After the cancellation of Orel class (Project 1160) nuclear powered aircraft carrier, Soviet Navy developed smaller one - which is Sovietski Soyuz class (Project 1153) aircraft carrier.

Her displacement was 60,000 tons, and planned to use MiG-23K.

But several technical mistake/problem of her development & cancellation of MiG-23K resulted her cancellation, too.

P.S : If anybody have BIGGER or BETTER pictures about this Sovietski Soyuz class CVN, please post. Because I really need them..... ::)

Offline gollevainen

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2007, 09:07:43 am »
I think I've got bigger versions of most of those pics, but in my own computer...I'll post them on monday when i'm near it again

Offline gollevainen

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2007, 12:51:43 pm »
Here's like I promised, all my "big" pics...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 12:54:56 pm by gollevainen »