Register here

Author Topic: Grumman OV-1 Projects  (Read 5040 times)

Offline yasotay

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: Grumman OV-1 Projects
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2015, 09:18:17 am »
Dynoman - I am very grateful for your assistance on the information.  Thank you so much.

Offline Dynoman

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2015, 01:16:17 pm »
Yasotay, there are some great pictures of the refueling equipment used in the test from the following website:

http://www.lotsaspace.info/OV-1Mohawk/AWAM/AirReful.htm

Offline Dynoman

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2017, 10:53:24 am »
Looking for better picture of the IR Hayes suppressor attached the OV-1B and flight tested at Edwards AFB. I have the attached picture and a sketch I made (modified pic of OV-1A).

Offline Mark Nankivil

• Archive Raider
  • Top Contributor
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2017, 06:54:27 pm »
Here's a few Mohawk images from the Rainey Bell Collection, Greater St. Louis Air and Space Museum.  Rainey worked for Army Aviation Systems Command here in St. Louis - was quite a good pack rat!

Enjoy the Day!  Mark

Offline Dynoman

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2017, 06:32:09 am »
Thanks Mark! That single-engine air refueling picture is exceptional!! It didn't help matters between the US Army and the USAF when the Army wanted to increase the range of the Mohawk with AR. The ambitious planners for the Army had plans that made the Mohawk more and more sophisticated (which is why the Marines dropped out early, wanting a simple O-1 Birddog replacement). Grumman, during the design process, floated a number of brochures that showed the Mohawk in various attack roles, which only irritated the AF further.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 06:47:46 am by Dynoman »