Grumman OV-1 Projects

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Hi,

here is from the airvectors site,an unknown projects to the Grumman OV-1;

There were a number of proposals for Mohawk variants that never happened. In 1960, Grumman proposed an "AO-1EF", with the forward fuselage stretched 71 centimeters (28 inches) to accommodate a third seat for a sensor systems operator. The additional space could also be used for cargo. It was to feature fixed seats, replacing the ejection seats, and had an entry door behind the propeller arc. The AO-1EF never went beyond a cockpit mockup.

There were other proposals with different engine fits, including one with T55 turboprops; one with an auxiliary J85 turbojet in the fuselage; and one with twin J85s driving ducted fans.

Does any one know them ?.

http://www.airvectors.net/avmohawk.html

hesham said:
can you imagine the configuration to each project in this article,as you do
wonderful job in this fictional aircraft;
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,14934.msg149633.html#msg149633

Thanks for the compliment, hesham. It's true that my fictional Mohawk has enjoyed quite a big of success on the sites and forums where it appeared...

However, I usually prefer to work from imagination. Also, I think that bringing real projects to life can lead to confusion as to whether they actually existed or not (that's the reason I've been doing less imaginary aircraft work these past few months — it's a bit scary to see some of my work circulated and taken at face value by some people!).

NASA 1980 jet project.

Attachments

• OV1_NASA_1980.png
    OV1_NASA_1980.png
    387.3 KB · Views: 871
Another NASA OV-1 turbojet project.

Attachments

• Turbojet_OV1.jpg
    Turbojet_OV1.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 794
Color pics of the Twinjet Mohawk and the single turbofan-engine NASA noise test Mohawk.

Attachments

• OV1D_TwinJet.jpg
    OV1D_TwinJet.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 717
  • ov1-Jet_Noise.jpg
    ov1-Jet_Noise.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 691
Grumman also experimented with an aerial refueling capability that would significantly increase the range of the aircraft. The USAF was opposed to the idea, as it encroached upon their MOU with the Army dating back to 1952, restricting Army aircraft performance.

Attachments

• Mohawk_Refuel.jpg
    Mohawk_Refuel.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 687
  • ov1_refueling.jpg
    ov1_refueling.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 258
OV-1 on skis. The aircraft was demonstrated in Germany during an exercise on skis. The original design of the Mohawk (T-tail version) is also shown on skis as it was designed to be operated from soft fields and snow.

Attachments

• OV-1_on_skis.png
    OV-1_on_skis.png
    165.5 KB · Views: 302
  • Mohawk_Ski.jpg
    Mohawk_Ski.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 271
Anyone know where best to find more information on the air refuel efforts by the Army?

Dynoman - I am very grateful for your assistance on the information. Thank you so much.

Looking for better picture of the IR Hayes suppressor attached the OV-1B and flight tested at Edwards AFB. I have the attached picture and a sketch I made (modified pic of OV-1A).

Attachments

• Hayes Suppressor.jpg
    Hayes Suppressor.jpg
    837.7 KB · Views: 475
  • LSSS.jpg
    LSSS.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 484
Here's a few Mohawk images from the Rainey Bell Collection, Greater St. Louis Air and Space Museum. Rainey worked for Army Aviation Systems Command here in St. Louis - was quite a good pack rat!

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

• xOV-1B refueling 1 engine out.jpg
    xOV-1B refueling 1 engine out.jpg
    498.7 KB · Views: 200
  • zOV-1 - 48.jpg
    zOV-1 - 48.jpg
    306.2 KB · Views: 156
  • zOV-1 - 57.jpg
    zOV-1 - 57.jpg
    322.2 KB · Views: 117
  • zOV-1 - 55.jpg
    zOV-1 - 55.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 131
  • zOV-1 - 60.jpg
    zOV-1 - 60.jpg
    350.1 KB · Views: 146
  • zOV-1 - 47.jpg
    zOV-1 - 47.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 149
  • zYOA-1 snow ski testing in Bemidji MN  Mar-16-63.jpg
    zYOA-1 snow ski testing in Bemidji MN Mar-16-63.jpg
    596 KB · Views: 145
  • zYAO-1A 57-6540 Howze Board Eval Simmons Field Ft Bragg Jun-12-62.jpg
    zYAO-1A 57-6540 Howze Board Eval Simmons Field Ft Bragg Jun-12-62.jpg
    597.4 KB · Views: 304
  • xGrumman AO-1 Mohawk T-tail model - 3.jpg
    xGrumman AO-1 Mohawk T-tail model - 3.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 298
  • xGrumman AO-1 Mohawk T-tail model - 1.jpg
    xGrumman AO-1 Mohawk T-tail model - 1.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 328
Thanks Mark! That single-engine air refueling picture is exceptional!! It didn't help matters between the US Army and the USAF when the Army wanted to increase the range of the Mohawk with AR. The ambitious planners for the Army had plans that made the Mohawk more and more sophisticated (which is why the Marines dropped out early, wanting a simple O-1 Birddog replacement). Grumman, during the design process, floated a number of brochures that showed the Mohawk in various attack roles, which only irritated the AF further.

German Army tested OV-1B/OV-1C in 1963.

U.S. Army/German Army OV-1 MohawkEvaluation program summary

Attachments

• The_German_Evaluation.pdf
    193.1 KB · Views: 38
Another NASA OV-1 turbojet project.
Hello Dynoman.. I remember this engine project very well as my leadman and myself did all of the sheet metal work and alot of the control fitup. If I remember right we had to rework the nacelle because the engine was rotated 90 degrees. Project was alot of fun to do.