Oesterreichische Flugzeugwerke

Jan den Das

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Hi

After the war there was build in Austria a two seat sports plane.
It was a design of Otto Kauba.
Who can help me with more details?
Such as:
Drawings, if possible with construction details;
Dimensions;
Pictures, if possible also during the construction;
How and in which colors was it painted;
Other details/matreials

Thanks
Jan

Re: Oesterreichischer Flugzeugwerke

Österreichische Flgzeugwerke / Otto Kauba O.K. 15

Attachments

• Kauba OK-15.jpg
    Kauba OK-15.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 450
  • Kauba OK-15-.jpg
    Kauba OK-15-.jpg
    386.3 KB · Views: 440
Re: Oesterreichischer Flugzeugwerke

...this is all I have...

Attachments

• IMG_0043.jpg
    IMG_0043.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 385
Re: Oesterreichische Flugzeugwerke OK-15

Some sources with very limited mention:
  • Reinhard Keimel; Österreichs Luftfahrt in Einzeldarstellungen: Propeller-Luftfahrzeugkonstruktionen seit 1945, Weishaupt, 1980. ISBN 9783900310028
    "Austrian Aviation in Individual Studies: Propeller aircraft from 1945."
    Kauba OK-15 listed in book description.
  • https://www.dauntless-soft.com/AviaQuiz/quizArchive.asp?id=145
    OFW OK-15, OE-VAM, the 1st aircraft built in Austria after WWII. First Flight 16-7-56 designed by Otto Kauba.
    [Note: OE-VAM has been worn by at least one other aircraft]
  • http://www.loan-airport.at/austrias-flight-history/
    In Wiener Neustadt Otto Kauba started to build a motor aircraft, it was the first Austrian construction since 1937. The aircraft, the OK-15, took off on its maiden flight on 16 July 1956.
  • "Did You Know...?", Air Pictorial, Vol. XVIII, No. 8, August 1956, p.285.
    An interesting Austrian post-war light plane, the OFW OK 15, is a two­ seater low-wing monoplane powered by a Walter Minor 4/III of 105 h.p. Span is 25 ft., length 21 ft. 4 in. and height 5 ft. 6 in. It bears a certain resemblance to the war-time Skoda SK V5.
  • "Aircraft Intelligence", Flight, 18 January 1957, p.73.
    O.K.15. The protorype of the O.K.15, the first aeroplane designed in Austria for 20 years, has now begun its flight trials. A low-wing, side-by-side two-seater, this machine is powered by a Walter Minor III and should cruise at about 124 m.p.h. It is manufactured of metal, wood and fabric and has been built by the Austrian Aircraft Factory at Wiener Neustadt.
  • Gunston; World Encyclopedia of Aircraft Manufacturers.
    ÖFW (Austria). Österreichische Flugzeugwerke GmbH built light aircraft 1958-9.

I think Keimel may have more information inside. Is that where the images already posted come from?

Thank you.

Here is my initial translation of his text:

Österreichische Flugzeugwerke GmbH (ÖFW) [Austrian Aircraft Factory]
Kauba OK-15 (OE-VAM) 1956
The OK-15 was the first powered aircraft manufactured in an Austrian factory after the Second World War. Ing. Otto Kauba, in World War II an aircraft designer in Czechoslovakia, constructed this single-engine low-wing aircraft. Construction started in January 1956, with the first flight on 16 July 1956 (OE-VAM). Full aerobatic trainer according to airworthiness category S4K. Side-by-side seating with dual control. End of October 1956, the flight tests were completed, but it did not enter series construction because of its poor flight characteristics. Instead, the JOB-15 was built to meet the needs of the Ö.Ae.C [Österreichische Aero Club] at Oberlerchner in Carinthia.
Seats 2, Power 1 x 77 kW (105 hp) Walter "Minor" 4-III. Span 7.60 m, length 6.50 m, height 1.73 m, wing area 11.0 m^2, empty weight 505 kg, max. take-off weight 788 kg, service ceiling 4,100 m, V/max. 202 km/h, range 630 km.

hesham said:
There was also JOB-5,

was it in a series ?.

The JOB-5 and JOB-15 were two light sports types used by the Austrian Aero Club. They were not related to Kauba's work, as far as I know. There is some more about them, in German, in
https://www.vereinsweb.ch/albatros/docs/VariaExtern/Reportagen/JOB%20-%20Der%20Alpen%20Klassiker.pdf
But it has at least one mistake; "die JOB 5 [war] das erste fabrikmaessig gefertigte Oesterreicische Motorflugzeug..." (the JOB 5 [was] the first factory made Austrian powered aeroplane...". This honour of course belongs to the OK-15.

Thank you my dear Steelpillow,

I want to know if there was JOB-6,JOB-7 ...... etc,or not ?.

I have no real knowledge but I do not think so.

The company Oberlerchner mostly made gliders designed by Erwin Musger, see
https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,17923.0.html

The powered types appear to have been designed by his boss, Josef Oberlerchner.