Hi,

the Germany company AGO has a branch in Austria,that branch developed a
sesquiplane pursuit flying boat aircraft during WW1,powered by one 218 hp
Warschalowski pusher engine.

Attachments

• AGO pursuit.JPG
    AGO pursuit.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 836
With its X-shaped struts it reminds me very much to the Hansa Brandenburg CC (drawing from
http://de.valka.cz/attachments/217/brandenburg_cc.gif ). BTW, the same drawing you posted,
can be found on the Wiki page about the CC. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hansa-Brandenburg_CC)
Hansa Brandenburg was in WW I renowned for its float plane fighters (W.19/W.29/W33), but the
Austrian Navy still preferred flying boat fighters and the "CC" was specifically designed for Austria.
So I think, this AGO type isn't an indigenous design, but a licensed copy.

Attachments

• HB-CC.gif
    HB-CC.gif
    32.2 KB · Views: 748
That's what I regard as a plausible solution, but I'm not sure.
In "Die deutschen Flugboote" by Fred Gütschow it is mentioned, that 60 W.18 (very similar
to the CC) were built under license by the Phönix Werke, a company situated in Vienna, mainly
building Albatros and Hansa-Brandenburg types under license. No mention of the AGO Flugzeugwerke,
but license building was common then.

My dear Jemiba,

may be the company later became Phonix Werke.

-The C.C was never built by AGO , which was german . Your 3-views was published during the War by "Jane's all the world aircraft" and was mislabeled .

-The Brandenburg C.C (C.C for Camillo Castiglioni) was designed by Heinkel in Germany and built in some number .( around 70) by the H.B ,UFAG and Phönix

- C.Castiglioni was the owner of Hansa Brandenburg in Germany, UFAG in Hungary, Phönix , and österreichisch-ungarische Albatros in Austria .

-PHönix and Ö-U Albatros were "sister" companies , and had the same address , Industrie Strasse 190 , Wien XXI .

On the site you've linked (the site seems to be not accessible in the moment, there was
a photo of the "AGO CC-flying boat" commented with three question marks. So, others
seem to have doubts, too. ;)

Bonsoir

This picture was published in Flight , January 1918 : Wiki gives the clue :

Attachments

• « File-Ago sea-pursuit flying boat Wikimedia Commons ».jpg
    « File-Ago sea-pursuit flying boat Wikimedia Commons ».jpg
    487.8 KB · Views: 591
Hi,

the AGO company had designed many aircraft during the WW1,in my files,the
company created two un-popular projects,the S (not related to S.1) and a pusher
biplane,but no details are known,who can help to find them.

Only known photograph of the S.I ground attack aircraft:
251-1.jpg

These?

A.G.O. C type pusher (64 built):
247-2.jpg

The very fast and unpopular A.G.O. C.IV:
16-1.jpg

You can find more at flyingmachines.ru

Hi Avimimus,

of course I know all aircraft built by AGO company,that is including many pusher
aircraft,and again,the Type S was not related to S.1,but the company made
many experimental aircraft,they didn't pass more than a drawing board sketch
projects,and that was after WW1.

Gentlemen , you better use ' lesser know' instead of 'unpolular'...

Ah... I should have read your post more carefully...

lark said:
Gentlemen , you better use ' lesser know' instead of 'unpolular'...

"lesser-known" instead of "unpopular"... It's cool to correct others' mistakes, provided we don't put typos in it... ::) ;D

Not the only picture of the S.1.

Attachments

• 293809_3370336420668_1015255535_n.jpg
    293809_3370336420668_1015255535_n.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 556
Typos made by me in a hurry.... sorry gents.

(you must be very proud now Star...)

Think 'unpopular ' can only be used by people involved with the plane itself.

(but it's not a point of discussion)

lark said:
Typos made by me in a hurry.... sorry gents.
(you must be very proud now Star...)

Certainly not something to be proud of... I just found it funny, it made me smile! We all make typos at times... ::)

Anything on AGO`s ventures immediately before WW2? We already dealt with this interesting little firm in other thread...

It could be the 1913 pusher type:
http://flyingmachines.ru/Site2/Crafts/Craft28888.htm

The designation system was being transformed during the production of the design - so it would have ended up retrospectively being dubbed a 'W' type:

"A.Imrie - German Naval Air Service /Arms & Armour/ Seaplanes were allocated consecutive numbers which at first were prefixed with 'D' for Doppeldecker (biplane) or 'E' for Eindecker (monoplane); however, after number 20 had been issued, the use of the prefix was discontinued. Shown here is Ago pusher seaplane D15 at Kolberg on 12 February 1914; built in 1913, this machine was powered by an 80hp Argus engine. The marine number marked on the nacelle is also carried on the outer surfaces of the outboard rudders. Following mobilization, 'Kiel' was additionally marked on the outboard sides of the floats."

However, this is just inference.

Thank you Avimimus,

and there is also D19 seaplane,also the AGO company used the series FP for
its aircraft and projects,such as FP-30 or AGO Ao.225.

In my files,

the AGO E.I was a single seat monoplane aircraft,may be was a fighter,powered by single Daimler D II engine,only one aircraft was built.

Last edited:
here's a color profile of the Ago S.1. heard was single seater,but had rear firing gun.

Attachments

• AGO_S-I-600px.png
    AGO_S-I-600px.png
    32 KB · Views: 288
The second photo posted shows a fuselage swell likely created by a full gun ring (which would have required a 2nd person inside of it). Futhermore the patent shows a second seat for a crew member to sight the oblique downward firing guns. This suggests that it was probably built, and at least initially envisioned, as a two-seat design.

hesham said:
In my files,

the AGO E.I was a single seat monoplane aircraft,may be was a fighter,powered by single Daimler
D II engine,only one aircraft was built.

By the way,may be this aircraft was a project only,the old source on Internet was not sure.

The Ago E I had a speed of 140 km/h and was a "Kavallerie-Eindecker", some sort of "primitive fighter".
Since the Typenhandbuch doesn't explicitly mention it was only a project, the E I was probably build.
Alas no more information.

Thank you Tuizentfloot,

and it seems to be that book has many little known aircraft.

Indeed, Hesham, the book is a "must have". In its ca. 400 pages it gives an overview - with some illustrations - of al the powered aircraft built in Germany until 1980 (and very occasionally of some unbuild projects).
An overview, and not a description in detail. Some descriptions are limited to one single sentence. Others (for instance the Ju 52) three pages...
The book is almost complete. Over the years I found some very old aircraft missing, and the author doesn't mention the aircraft industry of the GDR and its sole airplane model, the 152.
As a typical example I give the entry for the Ago E I:
E I (Ago Nr. 20). Eindecker, 88 kW (120 PS) Daimler II. Schneller Einsitzer, Vmax 140 km/h, "Kavallerie-Eindecker" genannt.
That's all.
The book Typenhandbuch der deutschen Luftfahrttechnik by Bruno Lange was edited in 1986 by Bernard & Graefe Verlag, Koblenz, in 1986 in the series Die deutsche Luftfahrt.
I don't know if it is still available (I bought it some 25 years ago).

Mustang1957 said:
here's a color profile of the Ago S.1. heard was single seater,but had rear firing gun.

Here's a profile that I did for Chandelle some years back. It shows how the 20-mm Becker gun was mounted. The split, wide-track undercarriage shown in the head-on photo was, I suspect, intended to give the under-fuselage gun as unrestricted a field of fire as possible.

The same arrangement was later used on the US Army Air Corps GA-2, so I have attached a photo of the latter as well.

The S.I Schlachtflugzeuge was a two-bay biplane powered by a 30.5-liter, 300-hp, six-cylinder Basse ünd Selve BüS.IVa engine. The entire fuselage was constructed of 3- to 7-mm steel armor from the rear edge of the observer/gunner's cockpit forward. This protected the crew, engine, and fuel tanks. A folding armored hood protected the pilot's head and shoulders. When attacking ground targets, the gunner sat low in the deep fuselage, below and slightly behind the pilot, and aimed a 20-mm Becker cannon or a pair of 7.92-mm machine guns through an opening in the floor. The gun mounting offered a modest degree of traverse and elevation and slightly better view than the earlier, J-type mountings. A single machine gun—preferably a light-weight, captured Lewis—was to be mounted on top of the fuselage, for self defense.

Attachments

• ago_s1.gif
    ago_s1.gif
    35.6 KB · Views: 493
  • ga2-2.jpg
    ga2-2.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 497
By the way,

the AGO company used also anther series,the DH, such as DH-6 for C.I and DH-7 for C.II.

Indeed, Hesham, but I can't find any other DH than DH-6 and DH-7, neither in Lange's book, nor in Nowarra's Entwicklung der Flugzeuge 1914-1918.

Apparently there was still another kind of series:
Ago-Nr. 20 = E I
Ago-Nr. 22 = Pfeil-Doppeldecker 1913
No more known to me.

Who knows more?

Thank you Tuizentfloot for this info,

and for DH-6 and DH-7,please see;

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/AGO_C.I-III

Otto design, built by AGO (AGO was in those days the Berlin subsidiary of the parent Otto company in Munich - AGO = Aviatiker Gustav Otto).

Thank you my dear Tuizenfloot,

and I know in this period,AGO had a project for anther seaplane,does anyone know it?.

Thank you my dear Richard,

but it was a project,not built.

Unfortunately no unbuilt seaplane projects known to me.
AGO built a number of seaplanes before WWI. First of all copies of planes from the parent Otto firm, and later own types (such as a copy of the Avro 503).

Back
Top Bottom