Register here

Author Topic: Pentagon Running Out of U.S. Suppliers of Energetic Materials  (Read 8439 times)

Offline bobbymike

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

Charles W. Eliot

Offline bobbymike

Re: Pentagon Running Out of U.S. Suppliers of Energetic Materials
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2016, 01:57:24 pm »
Good News? I would fund as robust an energetic research program as possible. Get there first (propulsion) with the biggest bang (explosives)

https://medium.com/@RDECOM/army-scientists-synthesize-high-performing-energetic-material-8a5673ff28be#.tct25prv1
Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

Charles W. Eliot

Offline NeilChapman

• Interested 3rd party
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2016, 02:18:49 pm »
The Army wants 40MM grenades with the lethality effect of 155MM Artillery. WTF kind of compound could cause that kind of effect?

A few things that come to mind are:

-Octol
-Metallic Hydrogen
-Blast silicon
-Nanite based explosives

You sweet talker you   ;D

Offline Grey Havoc

• The path not taken.
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2016, 02:57:49 pm »
 ;D
The sole imperative of a government, once instituted, is to survive.

Offline Orionblamblam

• Secret Projects Guru
  • Top Contributor
    • Aerospace Projects Review
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2016, 05:18:44 pm »
The Army wants 40MM grenades with the lethality effect of 155MM Artillery. WTF kind of compound could cause that kind of effect?

Boomex. Avoid mixing with Ovalkwik.
Aerospace Projects Review

And so the endless circle of life comes to an end, meaningless and grim. Why did they live, and why did they die? No reason. Two hundred million years of evolution snuffed out, for in the end Nature is horrific and teaches us nothing

Offline sferrin

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2016, 07:08:05 pm »

Boomex. Avoid mixing with Ovalkwik.

I see stuff like that and wonder about micro-nukes.  I've always heard there was a minimum size due to having sufficient critical mass but I'd think density would be more important than absolute mass. 
"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Offline bobbymike

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2016, 08:31:44 am »
http://www.defensenews.com/story/defense/air-space/strike/2016/05/13/rocket-motor-congress-defense-policy/84321310/

According to a memo obtained by Defense News with both Orbital ATK and Aerojet Rocketdyne’s logos stamped across the top, the legislation is necessary to help a suffering solid rocket motor industrial base in the US.

“Limited new tactical motor programs, coupled with few planned upgrades to existing tactical missile programs, have placed the domestic industrial base of [solid rocket motors] at risk, a situation made worse by outsourcing rocket motor production to foreign suppliers,” the memo said.

The number of domestic producers of such rocket motors has dropped since the 1980s from five suppliers to two due to a “significant” reduction in the number of new tactical missile programs and the tendency by the Pentagon to cut missile procurement in order to pay other bills, according to the memo.

The memo noted that the US industrial base is further affected by missile prime contractors choosing foreign solid rocket motor suppliers. It specifically pointed to AMRAAM relying “solely” on a “Norwegian” supplier for rocket motors and said that the Evolved Sea Sparrow Missile for the US Navy also uses a foreign supplier (also Nammo). Additionally, Raytheon’s Sidewinder and Lockheed’s Hellfire missile programs are considering foreign suppliers, according to the memo
I personally can think of a few dozen tactical and strategic weapons I'd develop using solid rockets............... :'(

Charles W. Eliot

Offline quellish

• Top Contributor
  • I am not actually here.
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2016, 01:08:07 pm »

I see stuff like that and wonder about micro-nukes.  I've always heard there was a minimum size due to having sufficient critical mass but I'd think density would be more important than absolute mass.

It is more complicated than that, but your assumption in general is correct.

Offline Grey Havoc

• The path not taken.
The sole imperative of a government, once instituted, is to survive.

Online marauder2048

• "I should really just relax"
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2016, 06:19:53 pm »
http://www.defenseone.com/ideas/2016/05/heres-way-out-our-rare-earths-mess/128250/

A bit poignant for me as I interned with Magnequench (actually based in Anderson, IN); the EPA closure of the Mountain Pass mine was particularly devastating and my abiding
memory was the ominious accumulation of Neodymium Fluoride bags emblazoned with Chinese brand marks.

Offline sferrin

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2016, 09:24:50 pm »
You read this stuff (and many, many other things) and it's obvious our government is either unbelievably incompetent or completely corrupt.   >:( :'(
"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Offline Steve Pace

• Aviation History Writer
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2016, 10:28:27 pm »
You read this stuff (and many, many other things) and it's obvious our government is either unbelievably incompetent or completely corrupt.   >:( :'(
No-count parenting (uneducated parents), piercings, tats, legalized pot and home-made bongs are the main contributors to this agonizing reappraisal of 'whatever you call it.' -SP
When you know you're right, go ahead.

Offline bobbymike

Charles W. Eliot

Offline bobbymike

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2016, 05:27:12 pm »
http://www.ndia.org/Divisions/Divisions/ScienceAndEngineeringTechnology/Documents/ARL_Sept2013.pdf

Page 11 Poly-CO potential energetic material 7X RDX. Is this the material up the thread described as "putting 155mm artillery in a 40mm grenade?"

Charles W. Eliot

Offline bobbymike

Charles W. Eliot