• Typical configuration of an Oberth rocket

Attachments

• Oberth's Mirak I.gif
    Oberth's Mirak I.gif
    48 KB · Views: 485
  • Oberth typical rocket.jpg
    Oberth typical rocket.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 472
Thanks Stargazer, anyway Oberth's designs (especially early ones) were somewhat impractial.
Oberth himself discovered it during the production of flying rocket models for the Fritz Lang's movie "Die Frau im Monde"....

archipeppe said:
... Oberth's designs (especially early ones) were somewhat impractial.

Nevertheless, he seemes to have been quite rational, as during his participation on the V2 program in Peenemünde,
he critised the whole program for being completely useless with regards to the relation of effort to (military) gain.
Ok, his later statements about UFOs and so on, could be interpreted somewhat different...

Does anyone know whether, in 1944, Oberth designed a three-stage missile which could carry a 3000kg warhead 6000km to the USA?

newsdeskdan said:
Does anyone know whether, in 1944, Oberth designed a three-stage missile which could carry a 3000kg warhead 6000km to the USA?

Somewhere around here I have a scan of a translation of IIRC an Oberth paper from about then, about that. However, even though it was wartime the rocket was distinctly 1930's-Oberth in design. I'll see if I can find it.

Attachments

• modell-b2.jpg
    modell-b2.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 261
  • poster-modell-b.jpg
    poster-modell-b.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 241
  • oberth-model-b-simple.jpg
    oberth-model-b-simple.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 253
To defend Oberth
in 1954 the moon surface was unknown
There were theory like, that surface of moon was covert in meter of Dust.
Oberth came on idea to put Cabin on 5 meter high pole
follow by gryo stabilsator and co...

I'm doing a research project on Oberth's impact on modern rocketry but I can hardly find anything from the WW2 era of his career other than that he developed the V-2. Does anybody have any info on him from the 1930s-40s?

I'm doing a research project on Oberth's impact on modern rocketry but I can hardly find anything from the WW2 era of his career other than that he developed the V-2. Does anybody have any info on him from the 1930s-40s?
He didn't developed the A4/V2, it was a von Braun's brainchild. He was only invited once to Peenemunde to attend an experimental launch in October 1942 if I remember well.
His Role was seminal during 20's and he was a sort of mentor for a Young von Braun, bit during 30's he turned to his academic activity.

Back
Top Bottom