Register here

Author Topic: Hermann Oberth rockets and projects  (Read 2201 times)

Offline Skyblazer

• Global Moderator
  • CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Hermann Oberth rockets and projects
« on: March 20, 2013, 04:44:40 am »
  • Cutaway view of Hermann Oberth's Mirak I rocket
  • Typical configuration of an Oberth rocket

Offline archipeppe

Re: Hermann Oberth rockets and projects
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 04:59:12 am »
Thanks Stargazer, anyway Oberth's designs (especially early ones) were somewhat impractial.
Oberth himself discovered it during the production of flying rocket models for the Fritz Lang's movie "Die Frau im Monde"....

Offline Jemiba

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 05:14:52 am »
... Oberth's designs (especially early ones) were somewhat impractial.

Nevertheless, he seemes to have been quite rational, as during his participation on the V2 program in Peenemünde,
he critised the whole program for being completely useless with regards to the relation of effort to (military) gain.
Ok, his later statements about UFOs and so on, could be interpreted somewhat different... 
It takes a long time, before all mistakes are made ...

Offline newsdeskdan

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 12:51:12 pm »
Does anyone know whether, in 1944, Oberth designed a three-stage missile which could carry a 3000kg warhead 6000km to the USA?

Offline Orionblamblam

• Secret Projects Guru
  • Top Contributor
    • Aerospace Projects Review
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 01:47:53 pm »
Does anyone know whether, in 1944, Oberth designed a three-stage missile which could carry a 3000kg warhead 6000km to the USA?

Somewhere around here I have a scan of a translation of IIRC an Oberth paper from about then, about that. However, even though it was wartime the rocket was distinctly 1930's-Oberth in design. I'll see if I can find it.
Aerospace Projects Review

And so the endless circle of life comes to an end, meaningless and grim. Why did they live, and why did they die? No reason. Two hundred million years of evolution snuffed out, for in the end Nature is horrific and teaches us nothing

Offline Hamzalippischh

• CLEARANCE: Secret
    • Shapeways shop
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 05:37:43 pm »
Some interesting renders portraying Oberth's Modell-B which mission was supposedly high altitude research. (found here : http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18932

Can anyone confirm or deny the dimension given to it by the artist ?
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything."
Nikola Tesla

Offline Hamzalippischh

• CLEARANCE: Secret
    • Shapeways shop
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 08:47:39 am »
Some Oberth designs from "A che punto siamo con i razzi" by Alberto Fenoglio, which can be downloaded here : https://digilander.libero.it/fme/doc/Fenoglio1.pdf
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything."
Nikola Tesla

Offline Dilandu

• CLEARANCE: Restricted
  • I really should change my personal text
    • fonzeppelin.livejournal.com
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2018, 11:03:18 am »
Some Oberth designs from "A che punto siamo con i razzi" by Alberto Fenoglio, which can be downloaded here : https://digilander.libero.it/fme/doc/Fenoglio1.pdf

Quite interesting, thank you!