Lockheed Twister

robunos

You're Mad, You Are.....
Reaction score
Looking for information on the Lockheed Twister high mobilty vehicle. I found this

http://www.amphibiousvehicle.net/amphi/L/twisterspecial/twister.html

Anything further would be gratefully recieved.

TIA,
Robunos

P.S. How do I make URLs clickable?

Robunos,

There's alot of information on the Twister in R. P. Hunnicutt's authoritative volume, "Armored Car." Sorry, I don't have the exact page references with me right now, but if you need them just reply.

BTW, your link worked just fine!

Abraham E.

There was a "Profile" on the Twister, (Profile Publications, now defunct I think) but I doubt whether there was more in that than you have.

sorry it didn't copy. Abebooks first reference
1. Commando, Twister and High Mobility Vehicles (AFV Profile 62)
Foss, Christopher F.:
Bookseller: WORLD WAR BOOKS
(Tunbridge Wells, Kent, , United Kingdom) Price: US$ 9.21

Quantity: 1 Shipping within United Kingdom:
US$ 7.44

Book Description: Windsor. Profile Publications. Published 1973, 1973. Useful reference. 20pp., ills., including colour. Vgc+. Bookseller Inventory # 6362

Thanks, ranger6, i intend getting the Hunnicutt book, when funds allow, I have the "Abrams" volume, so I know the quality of the information, and thanks also Smurf, I'll try and obtain the profile you mentioned.

Robin.

XM-800W Twister at Aberdeen Proving Grounds (taken September 2009)

Attachments

• IMG_5016.JPG
    IMG_5016.JPG
    193 KB · Views: 1,103
Thanks for that.........never did get those books mentioned above, :mad:

cheers,
Robin.

RyanCrierie said:
That does not look like a Twister... the body does not articulate and it only has 6 wheels.

SpudmanWP said:
RyanCrierie said:
That does not look like a Twister... the body does not articulate and it only has 6 wheels.
Your right that is the Lockheed XM-800 which was the wheeled entry to the Armoured Reconnaissance Scout Vehicle requirement, it does articulate but not to the degree of Twister, only the immediate front section of vehicle (the front set of wheels) is separate.

It's competitor in the competition was a tracked "mini" tank produced by FMC.

The competition ultimately came to nothing and ultimately the M3 Bradley (formerly Devers) was introduced into service.

Did a bit of Googling and found the attached link which nicely shows the articulated section of the Lockheed vehicle:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XM800_Armored_Reconnaissance_Scout_Vehicle

Regards.

Yep... Since it was flat, I could not see the articulation point.

Sorry about that, my brain barfed; which is understandable since XM-800W/T and XM-808 are very close...

Photograph of Lockheed Twister racing over the sand of Sand Mountain at the Nevada Automotive Test Center circa 1968. It can go through sand, snow, or mud, on its eight big flotation tires. The vehicle is powered by two Corvair engines.

Source: "New 8-Wheel Vehicle Has Plenty of Oomph for Any Terrain" Popular Science August 1968.

Attachments

• LockheedTwister.JPG
    LockheedTwister.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 927
The Lockheed Twister, a rough-terrain vehicle, can accelerate from standstill to 45 mph in 18 seconds and reach a top speed over 65 mph. The five-ton, eight-wheel-drive vehicle has two main body segments joined by a pivotal yoke. Independently suspended wheels at the front and a rear walking-beam suspension allow Twister to keep all eight wheels on the ground even over rough terrain.

Source: "Eight-wheel Drive" Popular Mechanics September 1967.

Attachments

• LockheedTwister2.JPG
    LockheedTwister2.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 856

Attachments

• XM808TwisterHAUGH1.jpg
    XM808TwisterHAUGH1.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 891
  • xm808TwisterAPG1970HAUGH1.jpg
    xm808TwisterAPG1970HAUGH1.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 856
  • twister-combat.jpg
    twister-combat.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 227
GeorgeA said:
Triton said:
The vehicle is powered by two Convair engines.

The page referred to at the beginning of this topic says they were actually "Chrysler/Corvair" 440 V8 engines. Well, the 440 and Mopar makes sense, but Corvair? I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Not sure why Convair (i.e., General Dynamics) would get involved with ICEs, so it's probably just some confusion on the author's part. Back in the day, they could have obtained those 440s right up the street at the Dodge place in Burbank. Or racing for pinks on Van Nuys Blvd., for that matter.

Edited for clarity.

Convair was a typo on my part and has since been corrected.

The Lockheed Twister has two bodies joined with a pivotal yoke. This gives the front part three degrees of freedom in pitch, roll and yaw. The body is built from 1/4" thick aluminium alloy. 4130 steel was used for the suspension, yoke and other stressed components.

Lockheed built three prototypes of the Twister between 1969 and 1971: one 06 test bed, one amphibious test bed, and the XM-808.

Photographs of the original Twister prototype.

Source: http://www.amphibiousvehicle.net/amphi/L/twisterspecial/twister.html

Attachments

• twister-climb.jpg
    twister-climb.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 313
  • twister-1.jpeg
    twister-1.jpeg
    62 KB · Views: 281
  • twister-2.jpeg
    twister-2.jpeg
    62.7 KB · Views: 290
Photograph of the amphibious Twister test bed that had extra flotation devices fitted. It was completed in June 1970 and tested until December. It had a water jet giving 2600 lbs of trust to two thrusters on each side of the rear body. Water control is by deflection, water speed is 6 mph. The Twister can leave the water on a 40% mud bank or 60% firm bank.

Attachments

• twister-amph.jpg
    twister-amph.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 274
Line drawing (top) showing Twister articulation. Articulation was:

Roll 30°
Pitch +35° -27°
Yaw 31.5°
Step obstacle 36"
Tread 87.75"

Line drawing (middle) showing Twister propulsion. The Twister was powered by two water-cooled 440 cubic inch V8- Chrysler/Corvair engines with a total of 582 hp and two Allison transmissions with six forward and one reverse gears.

Independent 12-volt system for each engine:
55 amp alternator and 35 Ah battery in front body.
55 amp alternator and 90 Ah battery in rear body.

It does 0 to 45 mph in 11 sec on 84 gallons it can cruise 350 miles.

The original Twister had one 17 gallon tank for each engine.

Line drawing (bottom) showing the suspension of the Twister.

Front body: Independent unequal length wishbones with coil springs. Whole front body acts like a walking beam.

Rear body: Wheels mounted in tandem on a separate solid center-pivoted walking beam on each side of the vehicle.

The wheel travel without articulation was:

1 axle 12 inch
2 axle 12 inch
3 axle 27 inch
4 axle 27 inch

Attachments

• twister-articulation.jpeg
    twister-articulation.jpeg
    34.2 KB · Views: 276
  • twister-propulsion.jpeg
    twister-propulsion.jpeg
    32.2 KB · Views: 142
  • twister-suspension.jpeg
    twister-suspension.jpeg
    27.7 KB · Views: 173
GeorgeA said:
Triton said:
The vehicle is powered by two Convair engines.

The page referred to at the beginning of this topic says they were actually "Chrysler/Corvair" 440 V8 engines. Well, the 440 and Mopar makes sense, but Corvair? I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Not sure why Convair (i.e., General Dynamics) would get involved with ICEs, so it's probably just some confusion on the author's part. Back in the day, they could have obtained those 440s right up the street at the Dodge place in Burbank. Or racing for pinks on Van Nuys Blvd., for that matter.

Edited for clarity.

Now that it's been established that "Convair" was a typo, can you remove this post altogether? It's getting confusing! I will remove this one afterwards. Thanks!

Reading Hunnicutt and the linked PDFs its clear that there were four "Twister" vehicles.

The first was the original Corvair-powered concept vehicle, this being followed by three Chrysler 440 V8-powered
second generation machines: unarmored test-bed, armored XM-808 and amphibious test-bed.

Jon

Attachments

• wo3878d.jpg
    wo3878d.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 346
  • wo3878c.jpg
    wo3878c.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 354
  • wo3878b.jpg
    wo3878b.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 301
  • wo3878a.jpg
    wo3878a.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 321
  • wo3878.jpg
    wo3878.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 291
Nice find! Autolit is just amazing when it comes to old motor company brochures. I found some gems there.

Hi Friends:
I can add that in late 1969 or very early 1970, Lockheed considered the Italian armed forces as an interesting market for the Twister and organised in San José (California) a demonstration for the Italian press with an unarmed demonstrator prototype.
In fact, Esercito Italian (Italian Army) really had a requirement for a wheeled APC and a scout car, but eventually, around 1972, choose the FIAT 6614 and the 6616M.
I enclose some pictures of the demonstration
Nico

Attachments

• Twister_11.jpg
    Twister_11.jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 180
  • Twister_117.jpg
    Twister_117.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 176
  • Twister_172.jpg
    Twister_172.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 185
  • Twister_182.jpg
    Twister_182.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 192
  • Twister_187.jpg
    Twister_187.jpg
    331.9 KB · Views: 189
B)

Way cool post Nico -- I wonder how you came into possession of the photos. Are there any illustrations of a possible Twister APC variant anywhere?

Thanks,

Abraham

Hi Ranger 6:
the picture come from a restricted circulation publication dated February 1970. Was a few page bulletin reserved for subscriptioner of two specialized Italian magazine of the period:
'Ali nuove' (New Wings, and 'Oltre il Cielo Missili & Razzi, Beyound the Sky - Missiles and Rockets). I think only few issues were published since December 1969 until May 1970.
I did'nt find any mention of an armored personnel carrier derivative of the Lockheed XM808 Twister but in the same timeframe Chrysler proposed a not too different vehicle (but without the articulated body), the SWAT (for Special Warfare Armored Transporter) with 8-wheel drive.
Happy for my post was of some interest for you

Nico

From Hunicutt's "Armored Car" masterpiece. Two combat role Twisters: upper vehicle with 152mm missile launching gun and lower with twin 20mm guns. Both probably have MBT-70 style rotating driver's capsules.

Attachments

• twister.png
    twister.png
    483.8 KB · Views: 757
Thanks, AG, I do now have that book, but haven't got round to reading it yet...

cheers,
Robin.

Hi boys,
I found another two phptos of the commercial demonstrator of the ill-fated Lockheed Twister
Nico

Attachments

• Twister_65.jpg
    Twister_65.jpg
    479.8 KB · Views: 594
  • Twister_66.jpg
    Twister_66.jpg
    569.4 KB · Views: 549
Reply to post #2

Armored Car. A History of American Wheeled Combat Vehicles, by R.P. Hunnicut. ISBN 0-89141-777-X.
The Twister is discussed in the chapter on "New Wheeled Combat Vehicles", from page 213.

Great book!

I'm a bit suprised that no-one has tried to revive the Twister design, or at least the concept behind it, recently. Given the ongoing need for highly mobile, but mine-resistant vehicles and all that.

Reply to post #2...

Thanks for that.
As I replied in post #32, I now have that book, and have now read it......

cheers,
Robin.

Given the ongoing need for highly mobile, but mine-resistant vehicles and all that.

Check out the link I posted in the first post in this thread.
Unfortunately, the Twister's suspension is quite complex, and wouldn't be that resistant to
mines/IEDs.....

cheers,
Robin.

Grey Havoc said:
I'm a bit suprised that no-one has tried to revive the Twister design, or at least the concept behind it, recently. Given the ongoing need for highly mobile, but mine-resistant vehicles and all that.

As mentioned above, the classic twister suspension and drivetrain are not that IED/mine resistant. However, the platform concept could easily be resurrected via other means. For instance, the basic walking beam suspension layout is fairly simple and could be made independent of the steering and propulsion mechanisms. An example would be the Michelin Active Wheel http://www.gizmag.com/michelin-active-wheel-production-electric-car-by-2010/10489/, which features both an electric motor and active suspension integrated directly within the hub. There is another company that has a similar system with integrated steering as well, allowing an easy single fixed mounting point to the vehicle (which simplifies replacement from mine damage). Increasing the hub size allows more powerful electric motors, and most military vehicles feature wheels larger than civilian cars. Modern microturbines or turbodiesels would allow a compact generator layout (particularly the forward compartment could contain all the necessary power equipment eliminating the rear engine to reuse the space for embarked troops or storage), and being an electric hybrid allows the use of stored energy for silent operation.

Making twister mine and IED resistant seems a bit difficult, because the fundamental premise is a low CG vehicle ,which mine resistant vehicles with deep V hulls usually are not. With an Active Wheel setup, in theory it should be possible to remove a damaged forward wheel and swap it with a rear one without too much trouble, so it runs like an injured dog with 7 wheels, provided you can lock parts of the walking beam suspension to compensate.

Slightly OT: The Twister always reminds me of those brave designs for manned Mars vehicles...

Twister photo new to me.

Attachments

• 2014_Spotlight_Web_Twister_ATV_1970_001_1267828237_5634.jpg
    2014_Spotlight_Web_Twister_ATV_1970_001_1267828237_5634.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 293