BREAKING NEWS: Military to open combat jobs to women (CNN)

2IDSGT

Ah tale yew wut!
Reaction score
The U.S. military is ending its policy of excluding women from combat and will open combat jobs and direct combat units to female troops, CNN has learned. Multiple officials confirm to CNN that Defense Secretary Leon Panetta will make the announcement tomorrow and notify Congress of the planned change in policy.

“We will eliminate the policy of ‘no women in units that are tasked with direct combat,’” a senior defense official says.
http://security.blogs.cnn.com/2013/01/23/military-to-open-combat-jobs-to-women/

As a former grunt myself, I'm of two minds when it comes to this matter.

-On the one hand, a warm body is a warm body; as long as someone is capable of doing the job, I don't care what they are.

-On the other hand, cramming a mixed group of healthy, breeding-age young people into an Infantry situation is going to lead to some dumb-$hit happening (as if there aren't enough problems already).

Call me a dummy, but here I was thinking that women could already fight on the battlefield...

To answer your second point, might it be possible to segregate males and females into different groups?

I think we haven't been in a serious war that inflicted high casaulty and high number taken prisoner on our side for too long.

If they really have to do this, then at least try to segregate genders.

It's not the performance of women in combat that is the problem, but the reaction of male soldiers in the event when a female soldier is injured or killed; it's very demoralizing.

Kryptid said:
Call me a dummy, but here I was thinking that women could already fight on the battlefield...

To answer your second point, might it be possible to segregate males and females into different groups?
They can fight and they already do; but not as part of the rougher MOSs, where privacy and space aren't really practical. This is an aspect the life that is difficult to explain to anyone who hasn't experienced it for themselves. Needless to say, integrating women into the actual fighting/training would be the easy part.

Is it even Constitutional for a SecDef to just "proclaim this is policy" I don't think so.

I have not served in an infantry unit or served in a forward area but I don't think this is a prudent choice tactically or strategically.

War is horrific enough without the prospect of hundreds of women coming home in body bags marked remains non-viewable. I think it can sap the moral of the military and the nation.

Do we need the Taliban parading last years high school prom queen beaten and more than likely raped in front of cameras for the sake of so-called equality?

-On the one hand, a warm body is a warm body; as long as someone is capable of doing the job, I don't care what they are.

If they can't just lower the standards until they do ;) Still looking for the Female that can knock out a strict 20 pulls ups. I know they exist Ive just never seen one. If we made even basic physical standards the same for females 70 percent of them would be gone tomorrow, not even talking combat, just physical tests on standard with the males. Increased leg injuries are on the way as well

-On the other hand, cramming a mixed group of healthy, breeding-age young people into an Infantry situation is going to lead to some dumb-$hit happening (as if there aren't enough problems already).

What could go wrong? Needless to say the people who champion this policy won't have to deal with the hellacious headaches ahead.

bobbymike said:
Is it even Constitutional for a SecDef to just "proclaim this is policy" I don't think so.

Where in the constitution does it say the SecDef can just cause there to be a minimum age policy for enlistment? Let's not cheapen the constitution just to sooth private squeamishness.

bobbymike said:
Technically, the laws are already there, just like they were in 1948 when Truman racially integrated the armed forces by executive order. Also, if you read the article, you'll notice that the policy isn't necessarily permanent for all MOSs.

As for the other concerns voiced:

--Everyone's gonna just have to suck it up on the POW thing.

--PFT standards are just that... standards. Like I already said, if someone can do the job, it doesn't really matter which baby-making parts they have.

--I don't know where people get the idea that females getting killed/wounded downrange is somehow going to have a more severe effect on morale, but it sounds like a made-up issue to me.

The main problem as I see it is +99.9% of the time that isn't spent running/shooting.

2IDSGT said:
bobbymike said:
Technically, the laws are already there, just like they were in 1948 when Truman racially integrated the armed forces by executive order. Also, if you read the article, you'll notice that the policy isn't necessarily permanent for all MOSs.
chuck4 said:
bobbymike said:

Where in the constitution does it say the SecDef can just cause there to be a minimum age policy for enlistment? Let's not cheapen the constitution just to sooth private squeamishness.
1) Well SecDef is not the President huge difference
2) chuk4 this has nothing to do with personal squeamishness and more to do with respect for our republic and the laws on which it was founded. Like Obama just declaring certain illegal immigrants won't be deported by executive order.
It is a very slippery slope and no matter how slow our democratic processes are they HAVE and indeed MUST be followed or we become a nation of men not of laws.

bobbymike said:
2IDSGT said:
bobbymike said:
Not really, it's still the executive branch. Of course, it is convenient for Obama that Panetta is about to retire and is willing to be the focal point here.

2IDSGT said:
bobbymike said:
2IDSGT said:
bobbymike said:
Not really, it's still the executive branch. Of course, it is convenient for Obama that Panetta is about to retire and is willing to be the focal point here.
You mentioned Truman and an executive order which the SecDef cannot do so that was my point. The President is also identified in the Constitution as head of the armed forces there is no mention of a SecDef. This should have come from the President if you support what Panetta did then do it yourself. Wishful thinking?

2IDSGT said:
--PFT standards are just that... standards. Like I already said, if someone can do the job, it doesn't really matter which baby-making parts they have.

I agree, now lets switch to Universal standard and if you fail you are out.

But it does matter. If lets say I have 100 males go through an infantry course, and 100 females go through the exact same course and 70 percent of Males make it through and 40 percent of females, you just spent the same amount of time and money for a lesser yield. Experience has shown that women are more prone to leg injury/stress fractures as well and thus you spend more money on the medical issues for those that fail. When a big war comes do we suddenly decide that we need 70 percent success rates so Males take priority? in which case you have spent years creating a combat infrastructure that is unsustainable for actual combat?

If you have infinite time and budgets its easy to be satisfied at the "progress", if you already don't have as much time and money as you would like on the eve of force draw downs and budget cuts, the news is less cheerful.

Women in the Military got bungled right off the bat because there has NEVER been a culture of "if you can do it, welcome aboard." Its "You can't do it? Well lets just rig the test until you can" which is why the double standards exist. Unless women have drastically evolved the last 2 decades I am betting we run into some hard barriers that won't budge no matter how many sweet vibes we try to throw out there.

What about competitive promotion? If you are a Marine officer and you don't have a first class PFT, then you don't have to worry about getting promoted, so females to have a chance have to do a different PFT or they would get smoked by their competitors.

2IDSGT said:
The main problem as I see it is +99.9% of the time that isn't spent running/shooting.
Spot on 2IDSGT. Bordom will be a dangerous thing at the COP.

Just a few quick observations and questions:

Lots of other countries have done this and continue to do it. What is different with their militaries?

TT, your observations about failure rates become very relevant in a purely volunteer force that can't make it's quotas (common in some parts of the world today). To rephrase your comment: if you test 100 males because that is all that showed up, and 70 pass, but you needed 120, what do you do next?

We've had female bomber and fighter pilots ready for all-out combat for how long now?.... -SP

yasotay said:
2IDSGT said:
Spot on 2IDSGT. Bordom will be a dangerous thing at the COP.
That depends. During a train-up at Ft. Irwin, a few of us got left behind on a rear brigade-detail that included a number of females; long story short, we all spent months living in the same open 1-room hut (more like a tent) with very little to do... and nothing bad happened that I was aware of. Technically, I think such living arrangements were against the rules, but no one said anything.

Bill Walker said:
Just a few quick observations and questions:

Lots of other countries have done this and continue to do it. What is different with their militaries?

TT, your observations about failure rates become very relevant in a purely volunteer force that can't make it's quotas (common in some parts of the world today). To rephrase your comment: if you test 100 males because that is all that showed up, and 70 pass, but you needed 120, what do you do next?

I see your point but Combat Arms in the US have not had a shortage of people. If we are ever that desperate we can consider it, but since we are not...

TaiidanTomcat said:
2IDSGT said:

But it does matter. If lets say I have 100 males go through an infantry course, and 100 females go through the exact same course and 70 percent of Males make it through and 40 percent of females, you just spent the same amount of time and money for a lesser yield. Experience has shown that women are more prone to leg injury/stress fractures as well and thus you spend more money on the medical issues for those that fail. When a big war comes do we suddenly decide that we need 70 percent success rates so Males take priority? in which case you have spent years creating a combat infrastructure that is unsustainable for actual combat?

If you have infinite time and budgets its easy to be satisfied at the "progress", if you already don't have as much time and money as you would like on the eve of force draw downs and budget cuts, the news is less cheerful.

Women in the Military got bungled right off the bat because there has NEVER been a culture of "if you can do it, welcome aboard." Its "You can't do it? Well lets just rig the test until you can" which is why the double standards exist. Unless women have drastically evolved the last 2 decades I am betting we run into some hard barriers that won't budge no matter how many sweet vibes we try to throw out there.

What about competitive promotion? If you are a Marine officer and you don't have a first class PFT, then you don't have to worry about getting promoted, so females to have a chance have to do a different PFT or they would get smoked by their competitors.
I will try and find the article but recently some 'hand picked' females went to Ranger school, pass rate 0% as TT said we have the money for this?
Call me sexist I don't really care but if for the sake of equality we maybe would have had a couple of thousand dead women since 9/11 and maybe a couple thousand more wearing leg and arm prosthetics I would not look at the country and say, "Man am I proud of our equality"
In college I was surrounded by female athletes there was not one that could come remotely close to my level of strength AND endurance not bragging just fact.
Interesting article by a former soldier http://outsidethewire.com/blog/war/elite-infantry-as-the-military-gets-smaller-it-needs-to-be-more-elite.html

Interesting point that we should be making combat roles tougher even for men to pass

bobbymike said:
TaiidanTomcat said:
2IDSGT said:

I will try and find the article but recently some 'hand picked' females went to Ranger school, pass rate 0% as TT said we have the money for this?
Call me sexist I don't really care but if for the sake of equality we maybe would have had a couple of thousand dead women since 9/11 and maybe a couple thousand more wearing leg and arm prosthetics I would not look at the country and say, "Man am I proud of our equality"
In college I was surrounded by female athletes there was not one that could come remotely close to my level of strength AND endurance not bragging just fact.
Interesting article by a former soldier http://outsidethewire.com/blog/war/elite-infantry-as-the-military-gets-smaller-it-needs-to-be-more-elite.html

Interesting point that we should be making combat roles tougher even for men to pass

I agree with his theory (the article you posted) even if I disagree on his details.

2 female Marine Officers were recently PRE SCREENED to try out for the USMCs IOC and both failed- The first on the first day (not too uncommon as that is the highest day of attrition) and the second had to leave due to injury. Her breaking is not a surprise, females have a higher incidence of leg injuries in training than males. I wish her a speedy recovery and I salute her having the guts to try, I hope this is something she can bounce back from and it doesn't affect her for the rest of her life, but I am here to tell you there will be females that will have a higher incidence of injury, and not all of them will bounce back. Thats not me trying to be protective, thats me pointing out that the they will be in and out of VA hospitals their whole lives and the Government never got them beyond Infantry School. In other words it was a "bad return on investment"

Tinfoil cap time: This announcement comes as the SECDEF is leaving and the policy isn't supposed to be instituted until Post Afghanistan. Which is odd to me, Women in Combat Arms are now suddenly a hot button only after we are leaving our longest war? What a coincidence... I wonder why we weren't pushing for this in 2005 when Baghdad was pure chaos? or during The Surge? Or the Surge in Afghanistan? So many long and drawn out dark days and opportunities to bring this to the fore...

TaiidanTomcat said:
bobbymike said:
TaiidanTomcat said:
2IDSGT said:

I agree with his theory (the article you posted) even if I disagree on his details.

2 female Marine Officers were recently PRE SCREENED to try out for the USMCs IOC and both failed- The first on the first day (not too uncommon as that is the highest day of attrition) and the second had to leave due to injury. Her breaking is not a surprise, females have a higher incidence of leg injuries in training than males. I wish her a speedy recovery and I salute her having the guts to try, I hope this is something she can bounce back from and it doesn't affect her for the rest of her life, but I am here to tell you there will be females that will have a higher incidence of injury, and not all of them will bounce back. Thats not me trying to be protective, thats me pointing out that the they will be in and out of VA hospitals their whole lives and the Government never got them beyond Infantry School. In other words it was a "bad return on investment"

Tinfoil cap time: This announcement comes as the SECDEF is leaving and the policy isn't supposed to be instituted until Post Afghanistan. Which is odd to me, Women in Combat Arms are now suddenly a hot button only after we are leaving our longest war? What a coincidence... I wonder why we weren't pushing for this in 2005 when Baghdad was pure chaos? or during The Surge? Or the Surge in Afghanistan? So many long and drawn out dark days and opportunities to bring this to the fore...
My Tinfoil hat statement - and another way for Obama and the Democrats to say to any opposition (which will be all Republican) "See they don't want equality and don't believe in woman's rights. First they wanted to take your contraceptives now they want to take your 'right to defend this nation' See Republicans don't think you love the country blah, blah, blah.
Another issue to divide us are we surprised it came from this administration.

Males are built for fighting and combat, women are built for nurturing, that's my (and others) opinion.
That said, women are usually better at certain physical tasks like climbing and deal with stress better, stress takes a higher long term toll on men physiologically. Women are usually biologically stronger than men, ie- better immune system, less genetic diseases because they actually have more genetic material than men (two XX vs XY). However, under high impact sports like martial arts etc, women physically break down and have more physical problems.

Another reason its bad: One navy ship had 20 females come back pregnant. Shouldn't they be more concerned about the mission at hand?

kcran567 said:
Another reason its bad: One navy ship had 20 females come back pregnant. Shouldn't they be more concerned about the mission at hand?

Just one Navy ship? I wish. That is routine. Cruises always come back with fewer females, than they start with. Sometimes women get pregnant at the most inopportune times as well, like just before deployment or as above on deployment. :(

On another forum I was on people were trying so hard to make women in combat arms work they suggested mandatory birth control, and steroids. Even suggestions that men should have vasectomies if they wanted to serve around women... That sound you heard was men aged 18-25 hanging up and running away from every recruiter they ever see or hear. All of this to make the idea "work" I am not a math mathematician but if you are paying for steroids and birth control you are paying for more to have someone do the same thing at a higher cost.

We are still not dealing with issues that have been glaring since the 1990s I have a feeling this will be the same. It will be completely Top Down dictated, and any hesitation, complaint, or problem will be dealt with a "just make it work"

The questions that need to be asked are:
1) Will this make our combat amrs units MORE effective? (not even as or less - more probable)
2) Is there a shortage of male members of these units putting combat units at a shortfall and the nation at risk?
When this is discussed you will soon read that women are excluded from some top military jobs because they cannot serve in combat. They want to be able to be promoted for their personal achievement. YOU NEVER hear it is about military effectiveness or to promote the military in general. The vast majority are pushing this an as equality issue and could care less if it hurts the military.

Arjen said:
The Israel Defense Forces have women and men serving in all roles.
They also have a reputation for efficiency in combat.

As part of my 'studies' I have watched hundreds of hours of footage of Israeli military action and have failed to see a single woman in 'front line' combat with the likes of Hamas or Hezbollah.

TaiidanTomcat said:
kcran567 said:

Just one Navy ship? I wish. That is routine. Cruises always come back with fewer females, than they start with. Sometimes women get pregnant at the most inopportune times as well, like just before deployment or as above on deployment. :(

On another forum I was on people were trying so hard to make women in combat arms work they suggested mandatory birth control, and steroids. Even suggestions that men should have vasectomies if they wanted to serve around women... That sound you heard was men aged 18-25 hanging up and running away from every recruiter they ever see or hear. All of this to make the idea "work" I am not a math mathematician but if you are paying for steroids and birth control you are paying for more to have someone do the same thing at a higher cost.

We are still not dealing with issues that have been glaring since the 1990s I have a feeling this will be the same. It will be completely Top Down dictated, and any hesitation, complaint, or problem will be dealt with a "just make it work"

I agree. Its sad to see the military go this direction. I can see all sorts of consequences. Love triangles going bad, jealousy, drama, a lot of things that should not be occurring around combat.

In ancient times Eunichs guarded the harems. Maybe they'll have to give soldiers those castrating chemical pills to keep them from impregnating the female soldiers.

bobbymike said:
Do we need the Taliban parading last years high school prom queen beaten and more than likely raped in front of cameras for the sake of so-called equality?

I take no position on women in combat. But I will point out that the prospect of sending hordes of pissed-off women to go kick the crap out of jihadis gives me a warm fuzzy. A special forces team composed of Jewish lesbians has a just *fantastic* PR potential.

"Mess with the US and we'll send women with Hello Kitty M4's to ruin your world."

Imagine, if you will, a world in which the Abu Ghraib photos of Lynndie England taunting jihadi captives came out, and the response of the US military was *not* to freak out and appologize profusely and get all indignant that how dare such things happen... but instead issue a press release to the effect of "this is what you get, chumps."

http://www.mca-marines.org/gazette/article/get-over-it-we-are-not-all-created-equal

Orionblamblam said:
bobbymike said:

I take no position on women in combat. But I will point out that the prospect of sending hordes of pissed-off women to go kick the crap out of jihadis gives me a warm fuzzy. A special forces team composed of Jewish lesbians has a just *fantastic* PR potential.

"Mess with the US and we'll send women with Hello Kitty M4's to ruin your world."

Imagine, if you will, a world in which the Abu Ghraib photos of Lynndie England taunting jihadi captives came out, and the response of the US military was *not* to freak out and appologize profusely and get all indignant that how dare such things happen... but instead issue a press release to the effect of "this is what you get, chumps."
Since that's not going to happen in our politically correct world, it fact you would probably have the US rearrange combat units IN THE FIELD so Muslims were not offended. "We are going to kill you but we didn't eat pork this morning and we have our women wearing burhkas" is the more likely US response.

A husband-and-wife Marine couple presenting their case:
http://www.usni.org/magazines/proceedings/2012-11/marines-or-marines

As a Marine Corps infantry officer and an AH-1W Cobra pilot, we too have our own experiences, and those have informed our opinions on the subject. We believe that the Combat Exclusion Policy has been rendered irrelevant. Beyond that, we firmly believe that it runs counter to the core values of the Marine Corps, and far from strengthening our force, it damages our unity and cohesion by institutionalizing the concept that women are not “real” Marines.

Arjen said:
The Israel Defense Forces have women in combat roles:
Women comprise 34% of all IDF soldiers and fulfill various senior and combat roles within the Ground, Navy and Air Forces. Currently, 88% of all roles in the IDF are open to female candidates.
Source: http://www.idfblog.com/2010/08/25/statistics-womens-service-in-the-idf-for-2010-25-aug-2010/
They also have a reputation for efficiency in combat.

<edit> did some fact checking

the US is not Israel and we do not operate the same way. A lot of people have been using Israel as an example for years and its not the same thing for a lot of reasons. Israel fights "home games" the US always fights on the road. We go months away from civilization, However there is already a rule in place that due to hygiene reasons females must get a shower after a certain number of days. nothing more fun than taking a "baby wipe" shower, while the trucks that take the gals to the showers arrives and to take them back to civiliazation and the number of days without a shower for you is hitting triple digits. The bottom line is Israeil is not in sustained combat for months on end all alone. Women have been in combat and for all intents and purposes have done very well. But Combat, and Combat Arms are two very different animals. Israeli females that see combat are primarily MPs.

Israel is practical, they know that females have limitations and account for such things. The US is so busy trying to prove women are equal we are blind to such things.

We are also not the same military. As recently as october there was a huge sex scandal (only the latest) at a training command in San Antonio, TX. Relaxing training standards, sexual harassment witch hunts, a lack of realism in combat training (A SERE school instructor in the early 1990's was relieved when he simulated rape on a SERE student, which is unfortunately realistic) , "Combat Flower syndrome" -- She is just as tough as you are, and equal to you, but she is also a delicate flower and special rules must exist to keep her safe from you mean manly men.

Israel will be practical about things, we won't be. They did studies on this in 1990s and they basically said "If we dedicate extra time and effort and money we can get the females close to male standards, this is how we will do it" And the shot callers basically said "no! they are equal and don't take extra time, money, or effort" and then lower all the standards so females could go through in the same amount of time. They even created separate basic training in the army. Ask a soldier about Ft. Benning Vs. "relaxin' Jackson" Ft Benning is where the combat arms train and all male, and jackson is where the "rest" go its for the cooks bakers and candlestick makers. Its where the women go, its not for the "Army Army" its for the "Job Army" and the US Army seemed to have no problem nurturing this double standard--they nuetured their drill sergeants, invented "stress cards" put in massive restrictions on punishments that could be meated out, and reduced the time for training, along with making the barracks Coed.

The Army liked to point to Jackson as an example of the "new military" seemingly devoid of any animosity, but no one asked what kind of effect you have on training some soldiers to kill in enviroments that were "harsh nasty, brutish and short" and others in a nice PR cocoon and shouldn't soldiers have a bit of a mean streak for obvious reasons? they then trying to pass one off as the other. "we are making soldiers here!" they proclaimed at jackson, and I guess they were right, the problem was they were creating much better and more effective soldiers in Benning, and it showed.

Is it any wonder why a Soldier like Jessica Lynch "never considered herself a soldier" is that weird to anyone else? As you are traveling in a convoy with a weapon in a foriegn country about to ambushed, maybe identifying yourself as a Soldier is important, instead of a civilian in funny clothes killing time until you can get home? What did the deficient training cost Lynch and her fellow troops? Of all the places not to consider yourself a soldier, the frontlines are probably the worst...

There are also certain things that can't be fixed, Like the majority of females can not throw a grenade outside its effective range. But if the gals can't throw without blowing themselves up who am I to judge? OR the USN's SPARTAN study. "oh two females can't do a stretcher carry? no problem, just make it a 4 person carry" Have you been on a navy ship? You can't fit even 2 people into a hatch at the same time. How are you going to pull off a 4 person stretcher team?

Lets say for example we want our first female Navy SEAL. A lot of politicians are behind this thing, this is the last barrier and they want to smash it! So they get 100 pre screened candidates and then pre screen them again to get the class down to 50 women. They then spend the next year training and prepping them for the Navy SEAL school, BUD/S. That is their full time job, work out, swim, prepare, prepare, prepare. Finally that year is up and the 40 women (lost 10 over the year) go into BUDS There is a 50 percent attrition so at the end of 6 months 20 women graduate. Hooray!! Success!!! we did it!! and all it took was an already exceptional, prescreened group, and an additional year of training to yield 20 of them. In the mean time all male classes are producing about 40 every six months. Was that money well spent?

How much time and effort do you spend trying to make a tank fly before you just take an airplane and add armor?

Its been an ugly "transition" up to this point. Women in the military has happened but it has not been without some major costs. This will be no different. The biggest problem I have is no one has ever bothered to measure that cost and decided if it is worth doing.

Arjen said:
A husband-and-wife Marine couple presenting their case:
http://www.usni.org/magazines/proceedings/2012-11/marines-or-marines

As a Marine Corps infantry officer and an AH-1W Cobra pilot, we too have our own experiences, and those have informed our opinions on the subject. We believe that the Combat Exclusion Policy has been rendered irrelevant. Beyond that, we firmly believe that it runs counter to the core values of the Marine Corps, and far from strengthening our force, it damages our unity and cohesion by institutionalizing the concept that women are not “real” Marines.

2nd comment:

The Major is wrong in her conclusions. She forgets that she has not had to meet the same standards already and is in her current position due to special treatment of her gender. The Major is unfortunately typical of many in our country today, she does not look at this issue as one of combat effectiveness or national security, she looks at this from the view of "it's my right". Is it not my right to have the best people I can with me so I do not die due to your inability to function in a ground combat environment? Is it not my right to have my focus be on the mission and the group over the individuals want's?

I have been to Iraq 2x, Afghanistan 4x. I have yet to see these examples that the Major talks about, women are not in the field shooting and moving. The FET, CSTs and CAs are not value added. CSTs attend the same selection as the CA's and it is a joke. The training that all of the groups get is not value added. They do not have language and medical skills as a universal part of their training, if they did they would be useful for short periods at an isolated site. As it is, they do not have those as a standard qualification, so what do they bring? Oh, access to the female population? Women are not valued in Afghanistan, period. They do not have sway, influence or input of any kind. So, you are not providing intel. What is it you are providing? What do those groups bring to the table? Nothing. They are extra mouths to feed at a VSO, COP or FOB. They cannot keep up with the grunts or others and often cause social drama that distracts from the mission. They are not value added.

While I am thankful for the Major and all CAS support, flying in a plane is not equatable to ground combat. I would also like to know about air to air, manpads, SAM or AA that has been going on that also somehow proves that flying today is proves females are in constant combat in that field. I am appreciative of what the Major does but, in the air or on the sea we have not had a challenge in a long time.

Women do not belong in ground combat. Here is a link to The Washington Times article that deals with the new push for Infantry and SOF roles for females in the US. It has links and paragraphs from Medical Studies done in both the US and the UK, the UK decided not to put women into combat roles due to the long term study that is linked in the article. Below the link are past studies done by the military, shows continually that females have not been made to meet the same standard but that does not matter since they are in the military due to a stated "goal" of 15% set by the individual services. The article has the UK studies linked, hope you read them.

http://www.washingtontimes.com...

This is from when they first started sending women to the Academies:

From the report of the Presidential Commission on the Assignment of Women in the Armed Forces (report date November 15, 1992, published in book form by Brassey's in 1993):

"The average female Army recruit is 4.8 inches shorter, 31.7 pounds lighter, has 37.4 fewer pounds of muscle, and 5.7 more pounds of fat than the average male recruit. She has only 55 percent of the upper-body strength and 72 percent of the lower-body strength…

An Army study of 124 men and 186 women done in 1988 found that women are more than twice as likely to suffer leg injuries and nearly five times as likely to suffer [stress] fractures as men."

Further:

"The Commission heard an abundance of expert testimony about the physical differences between men and women that can be summarized as follows:"Women's aerobic capacity is significantly lower, meaning they cannot carry as much as far as fast as men, and they are more susceptible to fatigue."In terms of physical capability, the upper five percent of women are at the level of the male median. The average 20-to-30 year-old woman has the same aerobic capacity as a 50 year-old man."

From the same report:

"Lt Col. William Gregor, United States Army, testified before the Commission regarding a survey he conducted at an Army ROTC Advanced Summer Camp on 623 women and 3540 men. …Evidence Gregor presented to the Commission includes:"

(a) Using the standard Army Physical Fitness Test, he found that the upper quintile of women at West point achieved scores on the test equivalent to the bottom quintile of men."

(c) Only 21 women out of the initial 623 (3.4%) achieved a score equal to the male mean score of 260."

(d) On the push-up test, only seven percent of women can meet a score of 60, while 78 percent of men exceed it."

(e) Adopting a male standard of fitness at West Point would mean 70 percent of the women he studied would be separated as failures at the end of their junior year, only three percent would be eligible for the Recondo badge, and not one would receive the Army Physical Fitness badge…."

From Canada's recent experience with gender integration into the combat arms:

"After extensive research, Canada has found little evidence to support the integration of women into ground units. Of 103 Canadian women who volunteered to joint infantry units, only one graduated the initial training course. The Canadian experience corroborates the testimony of LTC Gregor, who said the odds of selecting a woman matching the physical size and strength of the average male are more than 130-to-1."

Even in the Fleet Navy, the study of Damage Control gave the following results: (1990's, some of the testing is obsolete now, they used P250 Pumps in the initial test, P250s are no longer used. Stretcher carry's are something that will never go away though)

Test: Stretcher Carry, Level-% of Females (F) who failed initially (I) and who failed after 6 months post (P) weight training: I %63 P %38

% of Males (F) who failed initially (I) and who failed after 6 months post (P) weight training: I %0 P %0

Test: Stretcher Carry, up/down ladder-% of Females (F) who failed initially (I) and who failed after 6 months post (P) weight training: I %94 P %88

% of Males (M) who failed initially (I) and who failed after 6 months post (P) weight training:

I %0 P %0

There is loads of other stuff out there too, sad that none of the mainstream journalists or radical, agenda driven Women's Studies PhD's ever seem to find this stuff? The writers who push this idea that women should be in combat never seem to use them in their articles either. Weird huh?

Some more information:

1.) Title IX has increased female participation in athletics, that is fantastic. It has not increased you capabilities physically to be equal of that with a man. You skeletal systems, size, muscle density are still not equal to that of the average man. You use the Olympics as an example, so I will add an anecdotal Olympic example. Females on the Olympic Wrestling Team, who are world champions, national champions and even Olympic Champions in their early 20's, could not even win a State High School Championship against boys. This is a combat sport, where you have females who are world class among other women but who when faced directly with men are average at best.

2.) You have not made an argument that including women in combat units would increase our combat effectiveness. How do women increase our combat effectiveness?

Some Myths: Taken from Co-Ed Combat by Kingsley Browne

1.) Myth: The sexes do not differ that much in physical strength-

Women have only about one half to two thirds the upper body strength of men and in many studies the effect size separating males and females is on the order of 2 to 3. The probability that a randomly selected man will have greater upper body strength than a randomly selected female is well over 95%. You have about a 5% overlap with regards to strength, if there were no overlap it would be 100% for random selection. The strength issue is mostly due to the amount of muscle tissue, a difference attributable primarily to sex hormones. Testosterone increases muscle mass and is also associated with a reduction in body fat, especially subcutaneous fat and deep intramuscular stores of fat, of which men have less than women. As many male beer drinkers have learned to their sorrow, however, testosterone does not decrease abdominal fat. Rather, it is estrogen that inhibits deposition of fat in the abdomen, although it increases it in the breast, thighs and buttocks. Thus, the greater musculature of men and the higher proportion of body fat in women are both traceable to sex hormones.

Taken from Co-Ed Combat by Kingsley Browne

2.) Myth: Muscular Strength is the only relevant Physical Sex Difference-

In dismissing objections to placing women in combat, many integrationists reject the importance of muscular strength and then assume that they have dealt with the issue of physical differences. The sexes differ not only in strength, however but in a host of other attributes, such as speed, aerobic and anaerobic capacity, endurance, throwing speed and accuracy, height, weight, bone mass and amount of 02 carrying hemoglobin in their blood. These differences in physical capacity should be of major concern to advocates of sexual integration.

Men run substantially faster than women at all distances from the 100mt through the ultra long distance races, with mens' world record speeds at the various distances ranging from 7-12 percent faster than womens' for commonly run distances. These difference may not sound great but when the fastest man crosses the finish line in the marathon the fastest man is usually more than two miles ahead of the fastest woman. A lot of this is attributable to the larger hearts, larger amount of muscle tissue in the legs, greater aerobic capacity higher hemoglobin counts and greater blood volume.

Taken from Co-Ed Combat by Kingsley Brown

3.) Myth: Sex Differences in Physical Performance can be overcome through training-

A common explanation for sex differences in physical performance is that the boys engage in more vigorous athletic activities than girls. Therefore the argument often goes that performance can be equalized through training. Although it is true that boys tend to be more physically active than girls, training will not eliminate the difference; indeed, it may actually increase it.

Both sexes benefit from strength training, of course, and sometimes women gain more from training than men. A study of Army strength before and after Army basic training for example found that women's upper body strength as a percentage of men's increased from 57% to 60%, leading the researchers to conclude that "basic training brought the strength of the females to that of males" Although it is true that the average difference between the strength the sexes decreased slightly with training the overlap between the sexes also decreased. Training not only increases the strength of both groups, it also decreases the variability within the groups. Thus, despite the increase female strength, that likelihood that a randomly selected man from this group would be stronger than a randomly selected woman went up to 98.5%.

Answer these questions Major:

How does this make us more combat effective?

What promise do you have that the standards will not be dropped when in our entire history we have never made females meet the same standards?

How will you deal with the high rate of losses of females from a unit due to orthopedic injuries caused by the skeletal system that females have that is not designed to be load bearing? (see Q angle)

How will you deal with the high rate of losses of females from a unit due to pregnancy?

How is this cost effective?

What is more important to you, career opportunities or the mission?

TT very nice post huzzah!

Some more states;

There were about 166,000 women serving in active duty in 2011, the most recent year for which figures are available. They accounted for about 14 percent of the active armed forces. Women were most represented in the Air Force, at 19 percent, and least in the Marines, 6 percent.

There were about 36,000 women among active-duty officers, or about 17 percent.
-----------------------------------------------------------
1) Women make up only 14% of the military and are 51% of the population
2) They stats clearly show they 'self select' away from combat Air Force v Marines
3) They make up more officers than their enlistment rates, are they really being held back?

This whole thing is the dream of the progrssives to weaken the military. Every institution that represents 'traditional' America is being attacked.

khanjar_ii.jpg

Marine 0341 Helmland province, Afghanistan 130 lbs (59KG) Carried daily in triple digit heat for 12-15 miles a day. triple digit load outs are not beyond normal.

Yes, it’s about the 120+ temperatures – it’s almost impossible to operate. Yes, it’s about the heavy body armor, and in full gear with backpack, hydration, weapon and ammunition, it’s more than 120 pounds for as long as the hump, 15 or 20 miles. But it’s really about more than that. It’s even more than about the ability to carry heavy weight for long distances in high temperatures. We don’t bathe for a month at a time. If we are doing MCMAP quals, we beat the hell out of each other, continually – every day, all of the time. Literally. Men beat the hell out of men, and get it back too.

Remember when I was in Fallujah and I had to jump off of the roof of the house? I was under fire, my unit was leaving and I had to catch the HMMWV, and I had on full body armor with hydration, SAW drums and SAW. And I had to jump from the roof of a house to the ground. I have had to tackle men in Fallujah who were assaulting us. Full grown men, attacking us by hand. Football style tackle with holds and moves on the dude while in full body armor.

Remember when I trained the SAW gunners before ___________? I would make them hit the road for a four or five mile run in the morning, full armor, to the range. Range all day, then four or five miles back. Screw PTs. Can you run and live all day in full armor?

You want to know what it’s like, physically, to be an infantry Marine in the field? Strap 120 pounds on your body and play men’s football for a season, and do it while being sleep deprived with guys dropping around you from heat stroke. Do squad rushes with full weight. And when you hit the ground, don’t pretend. Hit the ground.

found here:

http://www.captainsjournal.com/category/women-in-combat/

Greg Jacob, a former Marine infantry officer who is policy director for Service Women’s Action Network, an advocacy group, said he was concerned that the corps might try to use data from the physical tests to prove that women are not strong enough to be infantrymen.

Concerned they will use research and data to prove their point? Why what does the research say? ...ohh. Luckily, this isn't about combat effectiveness:

But he also praised some of the new measures, saying that putting women into more front-line jobs would help advance their careers. “It puts women in a position where they are more likely to be in an expeditionary or combat role, which in the future will be looked at when it comes time for assignments and promotions,” he said.

ah, right the truth comes out.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/25/us/marines-moving-women-toward-the-front-lines.html?_r=0

Its just a good thing we don't have 11 years of recent combat experience to use in making our assessment. This is all just theoretical, like PAKFA Vs. F-22. No one really knows what prolonged 21st century infantry combat will look like... ::)

So here is our paradox

we make things even and cull a large majority of women throughout the military (not just combat arms), keeping training as realistic as possible

or we lower standards (im sorry we won't "lower" them we will "change" them) to unrealistic levels, so more people pass.

If it was the first option I would be fine with that, but it won't be. Its odd too because no one takes a hard look at the Navy SEALs and says "hey you sure don't pass many people, have you thought about making it so more people pass?"

Diagram-of-Q-angle-1024x661.jpg

The Q angle

Who wants to see what happens when we throw 130 lbs on?

http://www.cusjc.ca/catalyst/?p=833

from an article about ACL injuries being more common in females in the high impact, heavy load arena of... soccer?!

Ahhh, but we must do this to appease the politicians because they decided how much money the military gets.... Friggin' idiotic... The USN recently spent large sums of money refitting SSNs for female crew all so they could put 3-4 aboard.... A lot of women join up, make one deployment and then go and get pregnant, get some sort of desk job they aren't qualified for and then get out after the kid is born and what did the USN get; one deployment?! Let's not even begin to talk about all of the rape allegations that are thrown around willy nilly becuase someone got yelled at.

I know that's not ALL women in the military but they leave a very large stereotype behind whenever they do it. There are roles they can fill and perform quite well but combat isn't necessarily one of them and to thrust them into for the sake of friggin POLITICS is unfair and potentially dangerous to them and and everyone that serves with them. But we must remain progressive though... @#%#$%#$% politicians....