Little-known Vought projects from World War II

Stargazer2006 said:
patvig said:
In Aero Journal HS8, I found that XF6U-1 designation was first used by Vought for a 2 engine fighter like Grumman F7F. Navu Bureau of Aeronautics chnaged is mind and asked for jet engine fighter, so project was changed to XF6U-1 Pirate.

That's very interesting, Patrick! I don't have HS #8 (HS stands for "Hors-Série", which means "Special"), thanks for this info.
Here is the text :

Vought%20Pirate.jpg

By the way, my name is Patrice, the French version of Patrick ! (Just for information, I do not feel offensed).

patvig said:
By the way, my name is Patrice, the French version of Patrick ! (Just for information, I do not feel offensed).

Oops! I should have looked closer... especially since I'm French myself!!! Sorry about that, Patrice.

Stargazer2006 said:
patvig said:

Oops! I should have looked closer... especially since I'm French myself!!! Sorry about that, Patrice.
Il n'y a pas de quoi (it doesn't matter).

Hi,

if anyone can help me to find a drawings to those projects;

V-320 transport aircraft
V-330 US Navy torpedo bomber
V-332 six engined flying boat

Inboard profile for the VS-322. Sorry for the cruddy image, it is the best I have right now.
VAHF Archive

bill

Attachments

• VS-322-Inboard-Profile.jpg
    VS-322-Inboard-Profile.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 604
Here is another general arrangement for the VS-308 this time the VS-308B single engine variant.
VAHF archive.

bill

Attachments

• VS-308B-Side-View.jpg
    VS-308B-Side-View.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 1,099
  • VS-308B-Front-View.jpg
    VS-308B-Front-View.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 1,040
  • VS-308B-Top-View.jpg
    VS-308B-Top-View.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 1,029
Thanks for the drawings Bill. That VS-322 looks very cool, in that it looks very much like an early jet with a prop, even though it's just recip powered. I like how the "thermodynamic" (intercooler/radiator/etc.) jet thrust part looks like the tailpipe of jets to come.

Bill S said:
Here is another general arrangement for the VS-308 this time the VS-308B single engine variant.

Looks like they got a deal on cockpit from the same designer of the VS-311.
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,22420.0.html

For some reason all the info on the VS-322 is second hand prints, poor prints of microfilm, etc, etc.

Although cloudy and out of focus in places here are two structural drawings of the VS-322 the fuselage and wing.
Sorry about the quality, until I find something better "it is, what it is".

Attachments

• VSK3343-VS-322-Fuselage-Structure.jpg
    VSK3343-VS-322-Fuselage-Structure.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 720
  • VSK3344-VS-322-Wing-Structure.jpg
    VSK3344-VS-322-Wing-Structure.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 478
Hi,

there is still many unknown Vought for this period,if I leave near Vought
Museum and can access to its archive,I will eat it in just one week.

You would die of starvation my friend.
Literally tons of WWII and prewar history
of Chance Vought never made the train trip to Texas.

Bill S said:
You would die of starvation my friend.
Literally tons of WWII and prewar history
of Chance Vought never made the train trip to Texas.

That's right my dear Bill,

but we will wait.

Vought mistery fighters: no drawings from that designs

VS-322 1941 X-Wasp engine USN
VS-334 1942 Wasp Major engine USN (I think this could be a mistake from the book and that designation is that from F4U-4)
V-337 1943 tailess USAAF
V-338 1944 single seat/twin engine USN - carrier
V-339 1944 single seat/twin engine USN
V-341 1944 XF5U-1 derivative with special engines
V-343 1945 twin seat high performance night fighter
V-347 1945 high performance fighter USN

Source: Les Avions Vought. Bernard Millot. Docavia
I just found a May 1943 reference to the V-334 "Land Based Fighter R-4360 Engine" appears to be conflicting with Les Avions Vought. The aircraft is a tail dragger with contrarotating propellers length of 38.7 feet, 48 foot span, 14ft 6in propeller diameter. Now, this is not completely conclusive as they have reused a few V numbers over the years, at this point V-334 is not a Corsair derivative.

Attachments

• V-334.gif
    V-334.gif
    20.9 KB · Views: 224

VS-334 1942 Wasp Major engine USN (I think this could be a mistake from the book and that designation is that from F4U-4)
V-337 1943 tailess USAAF

I just found a May 1943 reference to the V-334 "Land Based Fighter R-4360 Engine" appears to be conflicting with Les Avions Vought. The aircraft is a tail dragger with contrarotating propellers length of 38.7 feet, 48 foot span, 14ft 6in propeller diameter. Now, this is not completely conclusive as they have reused a few V numbers over the years, at this point V-334 is not a Corsair derivative.

Great work my dear Bill S,

please we want a drawings to all missing Projects in this thread.

V-337 1943 tailess USAAF

Great work my dear Bill S,

please we want a drawings to all missing Projects in this thread.
In Tony Buttler and my book American Secret Projects: Fighter, Bomber and Attack Aircraft 1937-1945 from roughly 2013 you will find 3-view drawings and information on nearly all Vought aircraft discussed here, as well as dozens of others from American manufacturers. This book is still available from Crecy Publishers and probably from Amazon.

Hesham, attached is a 3-view drawing I did for that book of the VS-322. I may 3-views available for some of the others, too, but I've redrawn many of them.

Enjoy.

Alan G(riffith)
VS-322 3-view FINAL SIZE.jpg

Many thanks to you my dear Alan,

and I have the book.

For some reason all the info on the VS-322 is second hand prints, poor prints of microfilm, etc, etc.

Although cloudy and out of focus in places here are two structural drawings of the VS-322 the fuselage and wing.
Sorry about the quality, until I find something better "it is, what it is".
Here is another attempt at showing the inboard profile. In addition, a profile view with the landing gear shown.

Attachments

• VSK-3346-VS-322-Inboard-Profile.jpg
    VSK-3346-VS-322-Inboard-Profile.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 132
  • VS-322-Side-View-Dimensioned.jpg
    VS-322-Side-View-Dimensioned.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 155

Attachments

• VSK-1262-VS-319-Inboard-Profile-VSB-Proposal-adj.jpg
    VSK-1262-VS-319-Inboard-Profile-VSB-Proposal-adj.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 164
From the above, it was stated that it was a Wasp Major variant of the F4U. That is exactly what the F2G is, as Goodyear was producing the FG already (their designation for the F4U). Is it possible that Goodyear ended up developing Voight's idea?

From the American Fighter book.

Attachments

• 1-1.png
    1-1.png
    143.2 KB · Views: 98
From the above, it was stated that it was a Wasp Major variant of the F4U. That is exactly what the F2G is, as Goodyear was producing the FG already (their designation for the F4U). Is it possible that Goodyear ended up developing Voight's idea?
Where? All I see is someone speculating that it may have been related to the corsair, then someone on this page posted a V-344 that is clearly not a corsair on this page.

Where? All I see is someone speculating that it may have been related to the corsair, then someone on this page posted a V-344 that is clearly not a corsair on this page.
It is speculation on my part, but it is probably an angle worth pursuing as it does have a ring of truth to it.

What "ring of truth"? The V-344 posted in this thread is clearly a distinct project.