Yakovlev and Myasishchev projects based on the Yak-40

ucon

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Website
www.avicopress.ru
Snow-mobiles on Yak-40 base. Design by Myasishchev DB.

Attachments

• Yak-40 snow-mobiles-1.jpg
    Yak-40 snow-mobiles-1.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 1,190
  • Yak-40 snow-mobiles-2.jpg
    Yak-40 snow-mobiles-2.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 997
  • Yak-40 snow-mobiles-3.jpg
    Yak-40 snow-mobiles-3.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 991
Very nice, ucon! But shouldn't these appear in a Myasishchev projects topic rather than a Yak projects one?

Here is a set of Yak-40 profiles depicting quite a few test variants I haven't heard of:
  • Yak-40K
  • Yak-40REO
  • Yak-40 "Liros"
  • Yak-40 "Shtorm"
  • Yak-40 "Kalibrovshchyk"
  • Yak-40-25
  • Yak-40 tested with M-602 turbine engine
However, I do not know if they all actually existed or if some remained projects. Help, anyone?

Attachments

• Yak-40 profiles 1.gif
    Yak-40 profiles 1.gif
    448.7 KB · Views: 991
  • Yak-40 profiles 2.gif
    Yak-40 profiles 2.gif
    488.9 KB · Views: 922
One forum member confirmed that some of these aircraft existed. More on that later.

Dear Stargazer, sorry once again - all drawing from K. Udalov's book "Samolet Yak-40")))
Gordon put this drawings into his book "Yakovlev aircraft since 1923"

Hi Stéphane :D
I understand:
Yak-40K a mixed pax/cargo model with large cargo door.
Yak-40REO (or Yak-40RZO?) modification of earlier aircraft and equipped for electronic surveillance/patrol and with large canoe-shaped pod/canister under the fuselage. Also bulged observation windows.
Yak-40V Planned export model with more powerful 3,558lb AI-25T engines, increased fuel. Seems at least a prototype was built.
Yak-40-25 test aircraft with MiG-25 radar in nose resembling that of the fighter.
Regards

Unless the path was expansive and very smooth, I think I'd be rather reluctant to ride in one of those "snow mobiles"...

Sorry to raise this from the dead, but the recent flight of the reingined Yak 40 with the middle engine removed got me wondering.
I had read of previous projects to replace the 3 Al-25 turbofans with 2 TFE731 and LF507 turbofans.
The recent flight has resurrected this.
I have seen a description of a previous project called the Yak 40L that featured 2 Lycoming turbofans and a new moderately swept wing.
Are there any images of this proposal?
Also..any images of the proposed Yak 40M that featured a stretched fuselage?
Would a swept wing have entailed a fuselage stretch to keep the cg within limits?

Hello Kaiserbill,
the twin engine Yak-40 was developed by SibNIA in Siberia and they flew a prototype on 29 November 2016. Please see attached photo. Two TFE turbofans.
Also attached a photo claimed to be of the stretched Yak-40M prototype.

Attachments

• yak-40-twin engine.jpg
    yak-40-twin engine.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 142
  • Jak-40M.jpg
    Jak-40M.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 134
Thanks Walter.
I am aware of the SibNIA project. The wing apparently will be redesigned for use with carbon composites from what i've read.
Thanks for the pic of the stretched M. It appears to use the standard Yak 40 wing. I am on my phone, but it appears tgere are an extra two rows of windows, with an extra window in front of the wing root and the other addition behind.
Always found the Yak 40 to be a fascinating aeroplane..with over 1000 built. It performed its first in service passenger carrying flight 50 years ago this month.
I am still interested in seeing drawings or model of that Yak 40L with the twin engines and moderately swept redesigned wing.

Hi Kaiserbill :)
Doyou know this site: ruslet.webnode.cz/technika/ruska-technika/letecka-technika.
Deals with (post-war) Soviet/Russian aircraft and I found it very detailed with many photos (the Yak-40M picture is from that site).
You will have to use Google translate a lot, unless you speak Czech.
Go to jakovlev.as and scoll down to the many jak-40 entries.
Regards, Walter

PS: if logging in does not work, I use following to enter the site:
http://ruslet.webnode.cz/technika/ruska-technika/letecka-technika/a-s-jakovlev/jak-10-jak-14/

Walter..I have just had a brief look at your link above.
That is incredible..the level of detail on that site from just a brief look is brilliant! :eek:
I will have a better look this evening.
Thank you!

The twin engine Yak 40 project has now just flown with a new slim composite wing with winglets.

Attachments

• PC044370.jpg
    PC044370.jpg
    350.8 KB · Views: 103
  • PC044429.jpg
    PC044429.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 109
Back
Top Bottom