Reaction score
Hi,

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engelbert_Zaschka

Attachments

• Engelbert Zaschka.jpg
    Engelbert Zaschka.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 753
Re: Engelbert Zaschka Helicopter Project of 1928

Thanks for reminding us to this nearly forgotten inventor. Zaschka filed a patent for a combined helicopter/
autogyro, using a rotor, where each blade was fitted with a gyroscope (dotted circles in the drawing posted
by hesham). So I wouldn't agree to the description "fitted with two rotors" from Wikipedia.

You are right my dear Jemiba,

and it seemed to be,that designer had many drawings and patents to a helicopter
designs.

hesham said:
and it seemed to be,that designer had many drawings and patents to a helicopter designs.

Not only "paper-warfare", but he actually cut metal !
Found in AHS Journal N°6 1957, this photo of Mr. Zaschka on an aircraft, weighing only 95 kg (210 lbs) and
fitted with an engine of just 300 cc.
The gyroscopes on each blade are recognisable, I think. Judging the size and those cables on the ground,
seemingly attached to the aircraft, maybe this was just a model ("proof-of-concept-demonstrator" nowadays),
not a manned type ?

Attachments

• Zaschka.jpg
    Zaschka.jpg
    302.7 KB · Views: 595

Nice find my dear Jemiba.

Jemiba said:
hesham said:
and it seemed to be,that designer had many drawings and patents to a helicopter designs.

Not only "paper-warfare", but he actually cut metal !
Found in AHS Journal N°6 1957, this photo of Mr. Zaschka on an aircraft, weighing only 95 kg (210 lbs) and
fitted with an engine of just 300 cc.
The gyroscopes on each blade are recognisable, I think. Judging the size and those cables on the ground,
seemingly attached to the aircraft, maybe this was just a model ("proof-of-concept-demonstrator" nowadays),
not a manned type ?

My dear Jemiba,

that's Zaschka Z-2,the early drawing in this topic was Z-3,and here is Z-1,page 56;

http://kulturserver-nds.de/home/hubtest/medien/Neg.Nr.GUN.pdf

Attachments

• Z-1.png
    Z-1.png
    85.7 KB · Views: 460
  • Z-1   II.png
    Z-1 II.png
    253.9 KB · Views: 437
  • Z-2.png
    Z-2.png
    239.6 KB · Views: 409
  • Z-2   II.png
    Z-2 II.png
    254.3 KB · Views: 10

Hi, more photos:
source here: http://histaviation.com/zaschka_helicopter.html

Attachments

• img4510.jpg
    img4510.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 26
  • wwb_img2689.jpg
    wwb_img2689.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 24
  • Bundesarchiv_Bild_102-12440,_Rotationsflugzeug_beim_Senkrechtstart.jpg
    Bundesarchiv_Bild_102-12440,_Rotationsflugzeug_beim_Senkrechtstart.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 27
  • zaschka.jpg
    zaschka.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 40
  • Bundesarchiv_Bild_102-10105,_Berlin-Tempelhof,_Modell_eines_Kreisel-Flugzeuges.jpg
    Bundesarchiv_Bild_102-10105,_Berlin-Tempelhof,_Modell_eines_Kreisel-Flugzeuges.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 41
  • Bundesarchiv_Bild_102-10106,_Engelbert_Zaschka_mit_Modell_des_Kreisel-Flugzeugs.jpg
    Bundesarchiv_Bild_102-10106,_Engelbert_Zaschka_mit_Modell_des_Kreisel-Flugzeugs.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 29

Great find my dear Vladimir.

German inventor Engelbert Zaschka (1895-1955) was one of the forgotten pioneers of out-of-the-box-thinking. There's a new video about Engelbert Zaschka on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bjcyA-dF7E

Built in 1928 in Berlin (Germany) the Zaschka was a folding 3-wheeled car. Its inventor was Engelbert Zaschka who amongst other things was one of Germany’s first helicopter pioneers. Zaschka's 3-wheeler was designed so that it could be taken apart within 5 minutes and could be "knocked down" into three main sections and so the vehicle did not require a garage. Each section was built around a tubular frame with a canvas body stretched over the frame and clipped into position. The vehicle had a chain driven rear wheel and was capable of 25 to 30 mpg. Features of the vehicle are said to have been important to Richard Buckminster Fuller and his Dymaxion car in 1933.

122109332.jpg

Hi,

he also built a human-powered airplane in 1934.

Attachments

• Zaschka_Human-Power_Aircraft_(1934).jpg
    Zaschka_Human-Power_Aircraft_(1934).jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 25

What was the purpose of the gyroscopes in the rotating wing? Anybody an idea?

FXXII said:
What was the purpose of the gyroscopes in the rotating wing? ....

The answer is in the patnet: "This invention relates to an improved helicopter in which the lifting propeller
and a gyrating fly-mass are continually connected with one another in rotation and can be coupled with the
driving propeller in order to drive it as a substitute for the motor if this latter should have got out of order
from any reason"

Thanks for the pointer.
But I don´t understand the mechanics. How are two gyroscopes coupled? They must be rotating in opposite directions, otherwise the precession will tip the aircraft to one side. Further, will a rotating gyroscope that is itself being moved in an arc in its plane of rotation continue in that circular movement? An engineering view would be most helpfull.

I have no idea, if this principle would have worked in reality, but the patent actually doesn't speak of
a gyroscope, but just of a fly-mass/flywheel-mass. I would interprete this as just a storage for energy,
that would allow the rotor a longer time to rotate after an engine failure. If the rotation of those masses
really would have increased the natural torque of the rotor, I don't know.

If a flywheel is meant for a rotor to keep turning after engine failure, then it must be attached to the rotor axle. A flywheel incorporated in the rotorblade itself would not transfer its energy to the rotation of the rotor.
So the mystery remains.... :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DSUxTQFMt4

VIDEO (german television): He's brave and agile, quick to get there and just as quick to get out. The helicopter is the loner among the means of transport. An individualist who still lacks mass suitability today. Its history is confused, its technical achievements contradictory. Nevertheless, the helicopter stands like no other aircraft for one of mankind's greatest dreams. Freiburg's Engelbert Zaschka has fallen in love with it. He is one of the many inventors in the 1920s who worked independently on devices to bring people into the air. The helicopter.

Those gyroscopes could have fulfilled two roles: propulsion and stability.

If the gyroscopes were geared to the main rotor mast, their stored energy could help keep the main rotor spinning after the engine quits .... sort of a mechanical aid to auto-rotation.

Secondly, gyroscopes would stabilize the main rotor similar to the stabilizer bar on Bell 47.

FXXII said:
If a flywheel is meant for a rotor to keep turning after engine failure, then it must be attached to the rotor axle. A flywheel incorporated in the rotorblade itself would not transfer its energy to the rotation of the rotor.
So the mystery remains.... :p

Thanks for the Info.