US Proposal from the '30s for a Giant Transatlantic Flying Boat

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Hi,

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ru&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=ar&ie=UTF-8&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Falternathistory.org.ua%2Ftaxonomy%2Fterm%2F889

Attachments

• KW  1.JPG
    KW 1.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 592
  • KW  2.JPG
    KW 2.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 586
  • KW  3.JPG
    KW 3.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 529
  • KW  4.JPG
    KW 4.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 505
Almost makes the Bel Geddes Air Liner No. 4 look as if it lacked ambition!!!

Does anybody knows where more info about this aircraft is available? I just cant't find nothing more than that russian article. Thanks!

The Rumpler design? Scaled up and with some of its more practical features removed?

gabrielorosco said:
I just cant't find nothing more than that russian article. Thanks!

Please, could you post a direct link to it ?
The title of this thread is misleading, it's not the designers name, just the German term "kühner Wunschtraum"
(bold pipe dream) ....

My dear Jemiba,

it's Luftfahrt International No.12.

Attachments

• 6.png
    6.png
    174.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 5.png
    5.png
    325.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 4.png
    4.png
    240.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 3.png
    3.png
    305.4 KB · Views: 66
  • 2.png
    2.png
    318.3 KB · Views: 70
  • 1.png
    1.png
    176.8 KB · Views: 291
Jemiba said:
gabrielorosco said:
I just cant't find nothing more than that russian article. Thanks!

Please, could you post a direct link to it ?
The title of this thread is misleading, it's not the designers name, just the German term "kühner Wunschtraum"
(bold pipe dream) ....

Thanks for your explanation! The name of the thread is indeed wrong, I thought it was the name of a german designer, but couldn't find nothing with this "name".
This is the link: http://alternathistory.com/kyuner-vinshtraum-kuhner-wunschtraum-letayushhie-okeanskie-giganty/

Luftfahrt International writes the concept/design/whatever is the work of a US team of engineers from 1934.

Thanks for the clue ! It was hardly a project, rather a proposal, though the article says, that
"... the Americans are claiming, that the only real problem is funding ...". Luftfahrt International
often had such a "project" in their issues, as tongue-in-cheek review.
Maybe back then the business concept of proposing still infeasible things and trying to lure
investors was already known ?

(Title changed)

According the text

A group of US engineers made the plans for this Giant Aircraft

wing span 183 meter or 600 ft. lengt fuselage 100 meter or 328 ft.
12 engines with total capacity of 10000 horsepower
it need 13-16 hours to cross the atlantic
1500 passengers + crew !

Each passengers pay 900 reichsmark = 13000000 reichsmark each flight.
next to that income by post and cargo

the Airliner has own build in Cranes and big entrance for Passengers
is airliner also equip with dining hall, gambling room, smoker room, observation/promenades deck.
has garage for passengers cars and two hangars for small aircrafts launch by catapult

odd the Bel Geddes Air Liner No. 4 has similar concept, but is half in size and capacity
I wonder if this giant airliner is related to aeronautical engineer Dr. O.A. Koller ?

A clearer views.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 66
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 74
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 80
Giants of the Sky by Bill Gunston, PSL 1991 has a similar image, of which Mr Gunston wrote that it was published in The Sphere magazine of June 1933.
I have found the relevant page in the Saturday 10 June 1933 issue.
Because some images in this thread do not appear in the article, the images' original source should be even older than June 1933.

Page found here: British Newspaper Archive (www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk) Image © Illustrated London News Group

Hasan: great images, but it would be helpful if you gave their source.

Attachments

• The Sphere 1933-06-10 flying boat.pdf
    574.5 KB · Views: 35
So, it seems that we are uncovering this monster. I think that would be good to know who proposed the design, and if documents are availabe. I am thinking about a 3d model and a scale model
Wich design seems more feasible for you, the Bel geddes m4 or this one?

gabrielorosco said:
Wich design seems more feasible for you, the Bel geddes m4 or this one?
The Bel Geddes No4 looks like it is going to nose over at its first sea landing.
That is, assuming that it did not nose over on take off...

Luftfahrt International wrote the aircraft would have needed 100,000 hp, not 10,000 hp. From twelve engines. I don't know how much power the Bel Geddes No4 would have needed. I don't think either project was remotely realistic.

As far as I know, geddes airliner needed 20 x 1.900 HP engines tô take off, but some of them could be shut down during cruise flight.