Junkers Projects and Prototypes 1919 - 1939

Interesting find ! The nose/cockpit section looks similar to the Junkers G 24. Are there explanations
for the additional fins/rudders on the forward engine cowlings ?

Thank you my dear Jemiba,

and may be the article explains more.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    253.6 KB · Views: 177
  • 2.png
    2.png
    404.2 KB · Views: 189
  • 3-1.png
    3-1.png
    544.2 KB · Views: 150
  • 3-2.png
    3-2.png
    393.5 KB · Views: 185
Those additional rudders are mentioned, but their reason seems not to be clear. It is said, that
they might replace the ailerons, but this design actually is fitted with ailerons. And for extreme
manoeuverbility, as such rudders were tested on some fighter, the design seems not very appropriate.

My dear Jemiba,

I think the addition rudders are for flight without tail booms,as they are
unnecessary,the aircraft can flying as a tailless aircraft.

Careful, there's quite probably no way to fly such an aircraft without a tail, that isn't designed that way,
maybe not even today, stretching the capabilities of electronic flight control systems to its limits.
And there's no mention in the text, that it was a tailless design.
An addition, I found after second reading: Ailerons could only be found in the reconstruction of the drawings,
but not in the original ones ! That actually could explain the second pair of rudders.

Jemiba said:
An addition, I found after second reading: Ailerons could only be found in the reconstruction of the drawings,
but not in the original ones ! That actually could explain the second pair of rudders.
If so, I wonder why a set of fins and rudders would be preferred to ailerons, which were already the established norm.

The nearness to the propellor might suggest something to do with controlling the interaction of propeller, wing, and tail. The normal fins and rudders look a bit small to my untutored eye. In take-off attitude, it looks like they would be largely blanked by the large, thick -section wing. So perhaps the forward fins and rudders were supposed to increase control at high angles of attack?

I think your opinion is right Iverson.

iverson said:
...In take-off attitude, it looks like they would be largely blanked by the large, thick -section wing. ...

Principally correct, I think, but the bigger problem may have been the elevator, I think. As long, as the tail
doesn't provide control force, direction may still be corrected via the tail wheel. And when the tail plane
lifts off the tail, the rear rudder gains control, too. The forward rudders maybe should be used to allow
some degree of lateral shift without wing drop, probably especially useful during landing approach.

The Junkers Ju-52 drawings,family and developments;

http://www.germanaircraftwwii.com/blog/category/glidertransport/page-3/

Attachments

• Ju.jpg
    Ju.jpg
    457.6 KB · Views: 923
From Jet & Prop 5/1998,

here is a strange rudder mounted over a Junkers aircraft,I used the Google translate,
but it's not good,what was this (the right one Model) ?.

Attachments

• Junkers.png
    Junkers.png
    1 MB · Views: 677
The aircraft on the left is a Swedish ambulance aircraft.
The aircraft on the right appears to have D-226 for registration.

Found this about D-226:
Junkers, D-226, first flight 19.02.1923; Aero-Express Hungary, H-MACD, July 1923; Junkers, D-226; 1928 returned to Junkers; test bed for skies in Königsberg (Deruluft); tail tests for G-38; registration canceled in 1932
Source http://public-transport.net/VIP/airline/oelag/data_en.htm

It seems a Junkers F.13 D-226 was used to test Junkers G.38 rudders.

From Jet & Prop 2/2004, a surprise,

here is an article talks about some Junkers aircraft and projects,and there is many unknown
projects in it,that is including; EF-29,EF-34,EF-37,EF-48 & EF-49.

Also the EF-17 was the basis for K 39,and the J.14,J.17,J.18,J.22 & J.25 are different from,
we knew before,I hope my dear Jemiba,can translate in brief,to those new projects.

And one drawing to EF-30.

Attachments

• J-3-2.png
    J-3-2.png
    613.9 KB · Views: 122
  • J-3.png
    J-3.png
    667.9 KB · Views: 121
  • J-2-2.png
    J-2-2.png
    529.6 KB · Views: 114
  • J-2.png
    J-2.png
    839.3 KB · Views: 99
  • J-1-2.png
    J-1-2.png
    792.3 KB · Views: 141
  • J-1.png
    J-1.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 166
  • EF-30  data.png
    EF-30 data.png
    450.2 KB · Views: 200
  • EF-30.png
    EF-30.png
    337.8 KB · Views: 205
And;

Attachments

• J-5-2.png
    J-5-2.png
    615.4 KB · Views: 133
  • J-5.png
    J-5.png
    736.7 KB · Views: 134
  • J-4-2.png
    J-4-2.png
    711.3 KB · Views: 111
  • J-4.png
    J-4.png
    699.9 KB · Views: 120
Translation of "EF-30 data:

“General arrangement drawing of the EF 30, a planned modification of older 3-engined
Typ G 24 into single engine freighters. The prototype later was designated Junkers W41,
Whereas those aircraft modified by the Lufthansa on its own were simply labeled “F 24””

Of that article, written by Günter Frost, German aviation journalist, I’ll give a summary :
- The EF-series probably started with EF 1, but no evidence before 1925 is known and the date of its
Introduction isn’t know, too. Between 1919 and 1923 the J-numbers were used and several
of them remained unbuilt. The latter may have gotten an EF- instead of a J-designation, if this system
would already have been used then, so a possible starting point may have been between February
1923 and July 1924.-

The mentioned EF-designations, that aren't already mentioned in the "Junkers EF designations" thread
are added and can be found here http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,14756.msg225555.html#msg225555

Thank you my dear Jemiba,and please can you translate the J series in the article.

Thank you my dear Jemiba,

and here is the EF0-021 project,it was double-deck transocean civil transport
aircraft;

http://www.junkers.de.vu/

Attachments

• efo021_a1.jpg
    efo021_a1.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 146
From Jet & Prop 5/2004,

and this article sent by my dear Borovik before;
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,14756.msg151346.html#msg151346

although I know some Heinkel projects in 900s series,but it's first time to see this Heinkel
P.997,and it seems to be a transport/bomber aircraft project,do you know more about it ?.

Attachments

• Clip.jpg
    Clip.jpg
    392.5 KB · Views: 138
OK my dear Jemiba,

but about the Heinkel P.997,can I make a hint about it in Heinkel topic ?.

Of course, but then please reduce it to a cut out of the small part about the
He P.997, or Boulton-Paul Sidestrand or Fokker T.IV, which are mentioned just as a
side note, without any further comment. Otherwise may lead to a lot of confusion,
as the article itself is solely about Junkers projects. Or you just cite from it, mentioning
the source.

Found in Wolfgang Wagners "Geschichte der deutschen Luftfahrzeugtechnik - Von der J1 bis zur F 13", a drawing
of the J 12, which was a derivative of the J 10 into a small passenger aircraft with a semi-closed cabin.
Drawn in 1919, it already reminds on the later F 13.

Attachments

• J-12.gif
    J-12.gif
    270.2 KB · Views: 414
Skyblazer said:

Rather draughty, I think. And perhaps somewhat strange, as during the same time, converted military
aircraft already got enclosed cabins for the pax, freeing them from the need to wear leather helmets,
flight goggles and so on. In that layout, the F 13 certainly wouldn't have secured the same commercial
success, I think.

Am I wrong or does the second drawing show a differnt type, called
"Fernflugboot 15" (long range flying boat 15) ?
It has a single hull with qite large auxiliary foats, whereas the J 40
is a twin hull design.

What was this Junkers aircraft ?,from Gallica,l'Aeronautique 1923.

Attachments

• Junkers.png
    Junkers.png
    668.5 KB · Views: 293
As the word "hydroglisseur" implies, this was strictly a watercraft. That was a very fashionable type of vehicle in the years immediately after the first world war.

Looks like this was using the hull of this "project" :

Attachments

• Numériser.jpeg
    Numériser.jpeg
    340.9 KB · Views: 258
Thank you my dears Skyblazer and Richard,

and for my dear Richard,I saw this mock-up before,but where ?.

Kdmoo said:
Here is the W33 experimental twin in flight and a better resolution photo of the one previously posted by hesham. Note the wood grain on the props.

Also from l'Aeronautique 1934.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    458.8 KB · Views: 255
The middle photo is most interesting, with the remote transmission to the propellers. This might have flown.

Wurger said:
The middle photo is most interesting, with the remote transmission to the propellers. This might have flown.

Yes , it flew :

Attachments

• Numériser 3.jpeg
    Numériser 3.jpeg
    241.7 KB · Views: 209
This was an experimental modification of a Ju W.33 .
This was unsuccessful .

Here , another picture showing the device :

Attachments

• Numériser 3_2.jpeg
    Numériser 3_2.jpeg
    139.1 KB · Views: 194
I recall that the essential problem with remote shafting was excessive vibration. All projects had to deal with this, and (almost) all were doomed to be either paper projects or scrapmetal.

Hi! Modified Junkers A50 long range aircraft which succeeded surprising 80hr 11404km Tokyo-Berlin flight by one Japanese pilot in 1930.
She had a additional fuel tank in covered front seat space.
Sponsor of this flight was Hochi news paper Co.Ltd.(報知新聞社)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junkers_A50

Attachments

• A50.png
    A50.png
    729.5 KB · Views: 216
  • Junkers A50 modified sea plane for failed Japan to America flight.jpg
    Junkers A50 modified sea plane for failed Japan to America flight.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 188
  • A50.jpg
    A50.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 185
From l'Aeronautique 1940,