Junkers Projects and Prototypes 1919 - 1939

Cy-27 said:
Junkers Project 14 - Junkers "Ju.Y" - 100 ton transport project.

As with the Ju.X, no company records exist for the designation of this project in the Junker Dessau archive so Schmitt allocated "Ju.Y" to this type. The outline design plan carried the reference "F.B.5243" and "Nurflugel-Flugzeug".

It was a 1930 design for a giant transport flying wing. It was to have ten diesel engines integrated into the thick middle wing area. It was to have an intermediate transmission and extension shaft to drive the ten pusher propellers located in the trailing wing.

Thanks for all those information, Cy-27!
Here-under a drawing of the project Y from the book "Nurflügel" by R. Horten and P. Selinger (H. Weishaupt Verlag-1985).

Attachments

• Junkers 100t project.jpg
    Junkers 100t project.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 830
Junkers Junkerissime layout from the 1998 book Junkers Grossflugzeuge...

Source:
Junkers Grossflugzeuge (H.J.Nowarra) Motorbuch Verlag (1998) ISBN 3613012243

Attachments

• Junkers_Junkerissime_Project_Schematic.jpg
    Junkers_Junkerissime_Project_Schematic.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 751
Junkers J.1000 model from the 1998 book Junkers Grossflugzeuge...

Source:
Junkers Grossflugzeuge (H.J.Nowarra) Motorbuch Verlag (1998) ISBN 3613012243

Attachments

• Junkers_J1000_Model.jpg
    Junkers_J1000_Model.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 334
Thank you my dear Cy-27,

do you have a drawing to J.28 two seat fighter project ?.

Hesham - No J28 I'm afraid, but I did find a JG.1 drawing on a disk drive secured back in 2003 ! Sorry, source unknown, looks like a scan from a book.

Attachments

• Junkers_JG.1_Schematic.gif
    Junkers_JG.1_Schematic.gif
    17.7 KB · Views: 666
Hi,

the Junkers Gleitflieger projects.

http://alternathistory.org.ua/pervoe-letayushchee-krylo

Attachments

• Gleitflieger.JPG
    Gleitflieger.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 578
"Gleitflieger" principally means glider, in this case not quite correct, as to versions
are actually fitted with engines.

Jemiba said:
"Gleitflieger" principally means glider, in this case not quite correct, as to versions
are actually fitted with engines.

I don't know my dear Jemiab,but in the translation,they said;

Fig.5.Four versions of the proposed Junkers «Gleitflieger»-a.So they had to look after the renovation.
On all versions (not mentioned in the patent) is missing tail.

Figure 5 a.Above shows the actual «Gleitflieger» as described in the patent - without propulsion and c chassis.

Figure 5 b.In this embodiment, «Gleitflieger» with the power plant with two screws and pulling c chassis.For reconstruction has benefited from the description of the patent, made ​​by hand Junkers, sketches of a patent application and a similar model for wind tunnel tests.

Figure 5 c.Another option «Gleitflieger»-but with the power plant, in this case with a pusher propeller.

Figure 5 d.Like this must look option «Gleitflieger»-and the chassis, c two pulling and two pushing screws

Yes, I know those drawings, they are shown in an Luftfahrt International issue, the translations on the alternatehistory-site
usually are very close to the original text. Don't have access to that mag in the moment, but will look it up this evening.
Principally, the origin of the "Gleitflieger" was a patent drawing, the motorized versions are reconstruction using them and
handmade sketches and notes from Hugo Junkers, so probably no "projects", but "ideas".

Indeed, from Luftfahrt Internationnal n°18, concerning the potential applications of Junkers Patent n°253.788 filled on February 1st, 1910.
So no projects, just ideas :)

Attachments

• Junkers005A.jpg
    Junkers005A.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 355
  • Junkers005E.jpg
    Junkers005E.jpg
    435.7 KB · Views: 198
Thank you my dear Retrofit for your explanation.

Today "Der deutsche Luftverkehr - Die Pionierjahre 1919 - 1925" (German Airtrafic - The Pioneering Years 1919 - 25)
from the series "Die deutsche Luftfahrt" has fallen into my hands. Shown are a single and a twin engined version of the
Junkers G 23, which actually evolved as a tri engined aircraft. Probably those two versions were just theoretical calculations
by Ernst Zindel (chief designer for Junkers), to show, why in the end three engines were chosen.

Attachments

• Junkers_G-23_single-engined_01.jpg
    Junkers_G-23_single-engined_01.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 223
  • Junkers_G-23_twin-engined_01.jpg
    Junkers_G-23_twin-engined_01.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 224
Excellent my dear Jemiba,

but is there any drawing to J.17 and J.18 Projects ?.

AFAIK, the J 17 was a project for an improved K 16, but is isn't mentioned and so, of course,
no drawings. And the J 18, wasn't it an aircraft for the German Navy ? So it's not very probable
to find it in a book about civil aircraft. isn't it ? ;)

From: 'Hugo Junkers Pionier der Luftfahrt - seine Flugzeuge' by Wolfgang Wagner, Bernard & Graefe, 1996.

J 17: redesigned K 16 for which a monocoque fuselage was considered to save weight.
J 18: two-seat aircraft with combined rudder/elevator; five cylinder radial engine. Some windtunnel work was done for this design, Junkers hoped to sell it to the German Navy, construction was to take six weeks.

No drawings. Neither aircraft was built because of the aircraft construction ban imposed on Germany by the allies after World War One.

Not actually an aircraft project, but one for additional equipment, that I recently in a small brochure with the title „Kolloquium zum Leben und Werk von Hugo
Junkers – Erste praktische Experimente zur Anwendung der Raketentechnik in den Dessauer Junkers-Flugzeugwerken“ (Colloquium about Hugo Junkers –
First practical experiments fort he use of rocket technology in the Junkers aircraft plant, Dessau“. During 1929 Junkers started with experiments to use solid
fueled (powder) rockets as a means of supporting an overladden aircraft during take-off. Rockets made by the J.P.Eisfeld company were used for those tests,
each haven a length of 0,40 m and a diameter of 6 cm, developing a thrust of 75 kp each for about 1.5 seconds. Fitted in pairs to the underside of the wing
centersection of a Ju 34, starting with two and later 6 rockets, the results were regarded as very promising and especially useful for float planes and flying
boats. Although it wasn’t actually the first use of rockets for man carrying aircraft, it probably was the first time with a real scientific approach.

Attachments

• Ju-34_take-off-rockets.GIF
    Ju-34_take-off-rockets.GIF
    8.1 KB · Views: 908
The pre-project looks especially interesting due to its strange wing shape. THanks for reminding
me to wagners book, will have a look into it again.
About the aft fuselage covered with corrugated aluminium panels: AFAIK, it was originally planned
to build all aircraft this way, but the shortage of raw materials led to most aircrat being completed
with fabric covering only.

The Junkerissime, not posted yet. The description is from the Spanish magazine Aérea, Apr. 1924.
(The image is a better copy found on the web.)

Attachments

• junkerissime_gefuv.jpg
    junkerissime_gefuv.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 224
  • junkerissime_Aérea_011_p17.jpg
    junkerissime_Aérea_011_p17.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 226
Hi,

From Luftfahrt 3/1979,here is an early design to Junkers G 38 aircraft,this project
had a high-wing and only a twin engined for propulsion.

Also a glider project based on G 38.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 247
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 263
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 168
  • 4.png
    4.png
    347.8 KB · Views: 112
The glider shown was intended as a manned flying model. Interesting, that a
Junkers F 13 was used to carry a test arrangement for the G 38 tail plane, which
was carried above the wing.

Jemiba said:
The glider shown was intended as a manned flying model. Interesting, that a
Junkers F 13 was used to carry a test arrangement for the G 38 tail plane, which
was carried above the wing.

That's right my dear Jemiba,and here is the pictures for it.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 165
Hi Chuck,

although I have many books about Junkers,but no one of them contains airship
projects,may be someone can help.

Here is the W33 experimental twin in flight and a better resolution photo of the one previously posted by hesham. Note the wood grain on the props.

Attachments

• Junkers W33 twin big.jpg
    Junkers W33 twin big.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 563
  • Junkers W33 twin.jpg
    Junkers W33 twin.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 556
That's nice Kdmoo,

I forgot to speak about it,thanks.

Hi,

here is a high altitude aircraft projected by Junkers during 1930s,from Luftfahrt 11/1979,
I can send the whole article if someone wants.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 485
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 470
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 420
  • 4-1.JPG
    4-1.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 90
  • 4-2.JPG
    4-2.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 100
Very interesting find, hesham !
Really would like to read that article ! Is there any mention, that this design is based on
the Ju 52 ? At least the model quite clearly is based o it, I think.

OK my dear Jemiba,

but I divide the every pages into two parts to can read it,except the page 3,no
words in it.

Attachments

• 4-2.JPG
    4-2.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 95
  • 4-1.JPG
    4-1.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 175
  • 2-2.JPG
    2-2.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 168
  • 2-1.JPG
    2-1.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 163
  • 1-2.JPG
    1-2.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 166
  • 1-1.JPG
    1-1.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 186
Many thanks, the drawings are probably based on patent draings, the model shown in
the article is said to have been built from parts of a Ford Trimotor and a Ju 52 kit to give
an idea about the general layout. So, the actual shape may have been different.

Thank you my dears Toura and Jemiba,

and that design never appear in Luft46 site.

Hi,

amazing project from Luftfahrt International 1/1982,it was a three engined
twin boom blended wing transport aircraft project,had many features,one
of them is easy to check and fix the two engines of the wing also can cut
its twin boom to get a small size in storage,of course the fuselage was not
blended completely with the wing but a part of it.

Attachments

• Do  1.png
    Do 1.png
    621 KB · Views: 588
  • Do  2.png
    Do 2.png
    317 KB · Views: 516
  • Do  3.png
    Do 3.png
    332 KB · Views: 455
  • Do  4.png
    Do 4.png