Register here

Author Topic: Northrop Post-ATF concepts  (Read 19527 times)

Offline Sundog

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: Northrop Post-ATF concepts
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2009, 02:11:43 pm »
I see the large-scaled YF-23 Regional Bomber in those pics.  And in the pics above, the artist concepts of the single engined fighter, that is clearly the SHARC.

Where do you see the SHARC, because I don't see it in that pic. I see what looks like the Northrop MRF proposal, but I don't see the SHARC anywhere. If you're talking about what's in the bottom center, the strakes aren't anywhere broad enough to be the SHARC and the nose isn't nearly tapered enough for the SHARC. Take a look at the pics at the beginning of the thread of the MRF. Not to mention, the SHARC, as shown at this link, wasn't a Northrop program.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 06:33:06 am by Matej »

Offline tacitblue

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2009, 05:41:59 am »
Where do you see the SHARC, because I don't see it in that pic. I see what looks like the Northrop MRF proposal, but I don't see the SHARC anywhere. If you're talking about what's in the bottom center, the strakes aren't anywhere broad enough to be the SHARC and the nose isn't nearly tapered enough for the SHARC. Take a look at the pics at the beginning of the thread of the MRF. Not to mention, the SHARC, as shown at this link, wasn't a Northrop program.

The SHARC is in the pics/drawings above this photograph.  
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 06:32:37 am by Matej »

Offline Matej

• Deputy Administrator
  • Multiuniversal creator
    • Hitechweb - bizare aviation
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2009, 06:36:42 am »
1. Please don't quote everything what you are able to quote.

2. As Sundog said, the drawing at the beginning of the topic is not SHARC, it is Northrop's MRF study. SHARC is a pure NASA program of a (some characteristics of) subsonic attack plane, related much to the Grumman FAAV. It has nothing to do with the Northrop, nor that drawing. It is not a good idea to make conclusions only from visual resemblance.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 06:39:31 am by Matej »

Bizarre aviation expert.

Offline George Allegrezza

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2009, 08:44:34 am »
Posting here to avoid dragging another thread off-topic, but I never realized until today that in the AMC patent, Wainfan and Mrdeza cite the Testors F-19 as prior art.   ;D

Offline CFE

• CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2009, 12:06:37 am »
Posting here to avoid dragging another thread off-topic, but I never realized until today that in the AMC patent, Wainfan and Mrdeza cite the Testors F-19 as prior art.   ;D

Ironically enough, so did Lockheed in their pre-X-33 patent.  The relationship there is even more tenuous.

Offline flateric

• Deputy Administrator
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2010, 01:47:45 pm »
LCF from Langley photo archives (check for their recent updates!)

« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 11:44:47 am by flateric »
"There are many disbelievers in
stealth, more than a few of them truly technically ignorant and proud of it." Sherm Mullin, Skunk Works

Offline Ogami musashi

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2010, 01:47:52 am »
Flateric's pics show the two models having the wing-fuselage section being not aligned in pitch...any direct lift/variable AOA wing study?

Offline flateric

• Deputy Administrator
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2010, 03:12:22 am »
any direct lift/variable AOA wing study?
no. it was inflatible nose section study afair
"There are many disbelievers in
stealth, more than a few of them truly technically ignorant and proud of it." Sherm Mullin, Skunk Works

Offline BAROBA

• 3D artist
    • BAROBA's 3D portfolio-site
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2012, 06:06:20 am »
There is some confusion here about a prgram from NASA called SHARC and a project from Northrop called LCF and nicknamed SharK.

From : http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,278.45/topicseen.html

SHARC aka Shark

As stated, SHARC is related to the YF-23. However, SHARC was an earlier design, and the YF-23 design was derived from it, though scaled-up and twin engined. Northrop design, Advanced Project (AP-2), begun August 1978, was for an advanced fighter to accompany Tacit Blue on missions. Late 70s/early 80s, Northrop RCS testing involved several different models of different designs - Hawk (ATB/AP-4/& 10), Manta, Whale (AP-1 / aka Shamu / Tacit Blue), and Shark (AP-2).

The name "Shark" sounds similar to the acronym SHARC, as tested by NASA Langley. However, Shark is the name Northrop personnel gave the design. Shark was a follow-on to the F-20 Tigershark. Shark/AP-2 was proposed to the USAF in 1978. Its more formal title was "Light Co-operative Fighter" or LCF. It was in the 17,000-lb class, powered by one GE F404 engine. Supersonic, but less than Mach 2.

In 1981, when the ATF program (Senior Sky) began, Northrop was in a good position to present the USAF with an excellent proposal. As reported in AW&ST, June 1, 1981 issue, (though not in exact words), stated thusly: "Northrop is building a fighter-size stealth aircraft that will fly soon; based a design proposed to the USAF." This was Shark, and is reported to have flown at Groom in late summer 1981. About the size of Have Blue, but heavier. Code name of program was Tacit ____

I hope this clears things out.

Cheers,

Rob

Offline XP67_Moonbat

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2012, 07:15:29 am »
Wow. Things that make you go "Hmm".
In God we trust, all others we monitor. :-p

Online Mr London 24/7

« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2012, 03:57:51 pm »
Members should be aware that the original source of this info is a notorious former DLR Poster called 'wolfbane', (who has not exactly been reliable):

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,133.msg698.html#msg698

Offline quellish

• Top Contributor
  • I am not actually here.
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2012, 06:34:02 pm »
Members should be aware that the original source of this info is a notorious former DLR Poster called 'wolfbane', (who has not exactly been reliable):

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,133.msg698.html#msg698

IIRC, this is related:
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2782.0
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 06:37:27 pm by quellish »

Offline PaulMM (Overscan)

• Secret Projects Forum Founder
  • Administrator
  • Paul Martell-Mead
    • Secret Projects
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2018, 01:59:41 pm »
Yep just to be clear the SHARC/Shark Northrop stuff is wild speculation.
"They can't see our arses for dust."

- Sir Sydney Camm