Hawker P.1121 "Hurricane"

overscan said:
Here's a nice pic of the P.1121 front fuselage in the Structures Hangar at Cranfield
Hi
Where is it now Scrapped??

Stored at Cosford... I tried to get to see it some years back but was knocked back because of security considerations in the wake of 9/11... strange as as I got onto the Typhoon line at Warton a couple of years later with no problems...

Just wish they'd display the bird.. or what's left of it as Im pretty sure there's lots of people who'd love to see it... even if it was just rolled it out for the airshow one year...!

Zeb

I was told I could not photograph it because the storage hangar is unsafe for public access.

I think i have said before that it would make a fantastic display, especially if it was displayed with the proposed power plant (a Gyron?)

sealordlawrence said:
I think i have said before that it would make a fantastic display, especially if it was displayed with the proposed power plant (a Gyron?)
Hi,
I agree , are there still any big de Havilland Gyrons? maybe the alternative Olympus?

Where is the storage hangar at Cosford? From memory it must actually be on the RAF base rather than the museum site. The only unopen building on the museum plot is the conservation centre which opens occasionally for a week. I'll make some enquiries when I'm back there over the summer.

THESE were the other designs competing

images removed - (c) issue

I've seen (and photographed) two Gyrons, one at the de Havilland Aircraft Heritage Centre in St Albans and the other at Rolls-Royce Heritage Bristol which has incorporated the old Leavesden collection of de Havilland engines.

Regarding the deleted pics in JJC's post, were they the usual suspects (F155T proposals, Avro 728, SR.177) or something new?

All were the usual suspects from Tony's BSP: Jet Fighters book.

I have an image of the Avro 729 which was designed to F155T but not submitted. It will hopefully be published in my book on the P.1103/P.1121, and is completely different to the Avro 720 designs sharing configuration more with the Avro 730 bomber. Avro were expected to submit to F155T, in one file their name is on the submission sheet but crossed out.

I also have many early configurations of the P.1103 for example. However, all submitted projects have been previously published, so there's little chance of any more F155T designs appearing unless they were drawn up but not submitted.

starviking said:
Regarding the deleted pics in JJC's post, were they the usual suspects (F155T proposals, Avro 728, SR.177) or something new?

Hi,

The final Avro 728 was like a cross between the Viggen and the Typhoon with a “canard “ wing STOL fighter, has any one a picture please?

I seem to recall seeing a Gyron at the Science museum in London, it may have been a Gyron junior though, or even worse my memory failing completely!

I'm pretty sure they have one, not sure if its still on display though or if its in store.

Is there any reasonable 3 (or more) view of this plane? I found this, but the top view is missing and it is distort. Or at least does anybody know the source of this scans? Seems like the guide for the plastic kit.

Attachments

• P1121%20below%20%28Medium%29.jpg
    P1121%20below%20%28Medium%29.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 930
  • P1121%20side%20%28Medium%29.jpg
    P1121%20side%20%28Medium%29.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 908
Hi Overscan!.
I am interested in obtaining a gut 3 view of the P1121. Barrie Hygates publication is aut of print and very expensive second hand!
I would appreciate it if you could PM me as well. Thanks.
Nigel

overscan said:
Matej, I have everything, photos, 3 views and much more. Will contact you via PM later.
Pray, do you have data on prospective 2-seat versions of the P.1121? I could see either tandem seating or side-by-side seating as possible and I'd love to try modelling both if I could find some good references.

Yes, a side by side seat naval version and a tandem twin seat bomber derivative, as well as the predecessor twin seat P.1103 interceptor of course.

Apologies for digging this thread up from the grave, but I was curious as to the status of the book being written about the P.1121?

Still ongoing. I'm now in touch with Barrie Hygate who has done a lot of work on his own P.1121 book including many beautiful CAD drawings, hopefully we can work together.

Overscan,

You have made the prospect yet more tantalising, I am eagerly awaiting the outcome!

May I request now, nice fold out drawings that can be easily scanned in for modeling purposes. I hate drawings that go across the spine of the book. They're usually impossible to scan in correctly without taking the book apart. Or put the three view on one page and the cross section on the page across from it. I'm definitely looking forward to this book.

Just found ...

http://www.anigrand.com/AA4050_Nimrod-AEW3.htm

... but I want one in 1/72 !

Deino

Attachments

• AA4050_Nimrod-AEW3_parts.gif
    AA4050_Nimrod-AEW3_parts.gif
    248.7 KB · Views: 983
Another bump to ask how things go with the book... my interest having been piqued by the part the type played in the GOR.339 deliberations, you see...

Slowly. Hectic at work and at home at the moment.

Barrie Hygate is making good progress on 5 view drawings, however.

overscan said:
Barrie Hygate is making good progress on 5 view drawings, however.

Wow, that's great news! However, unlike his book, please ask the publisher to layout the views without going across the spine of the book. That sort of ruins them. Just put the three views on one page and the cross sections, if there are any, on the page across from it. Or if you want the book to be more expensive, use foldout pages. His book is one of my favorites, but those drawings across the spine drive me nuts. ;) ;D

Great to hear that other folk are frustrated & disappointed by 3-views that cover two pages. It is a huge insult to a quality drawing to render it virtually useless in this way. I have on several occasions bought 2nd copies of magazines, so that I could keep one whole, and remove the staples of another so as to fully delight in the drawings.

overscan said:
Still ongoing. I'm now in touch with Barrie Hygate who has done a lot of work on his own P.1121 book including many beautiful CAD drawings, hopefully we can work together.

Hi

A Government Minister refers to the P1121 as the Hawker Hurricane in a debate recorded in Hansard.

Spark

Here is a picture of the P.1121 mockup from Ray Braybook's excellent history of the development of the Harrier.

Attachments

• p1121.png
    p1121.png
    350.4 KB · Views: 930
Topics merged.

I know the search engine is not always 100% reliable, but please try to check if there is another topic before creating a new topic. There is no need to add to the work of the moderators!

If I can get my act together ( :eek: ) there may be a better account of the P.1121 available in print from a certain small publisher in the not too distant future.

I have the whole article above, and can post it in the meantime.

I am aware of my lack of delivery on this front. I have produced two fine children and emigrated to New Zealand in the meantime. I won't get anyone's hopes up yet.

Just pondering the photos of the model on page2 of the thread - I wonder; how would one persuade them to lend me that model to make a mould from it? Hmmmm... (Answers on a postcard)

Regards,

S&N models in the UK made a 1/72 resin model. It is now OOP AIUI but might be available on Evilbay if you look hard enough.

Freightdog models used to sell them, so they might be a point of contact.

Braybrook described the 1121 as "a badly designed F-105" IIRC.

LowObservable said:
Braybrook described the 1121 as "a badly designed F-105" IIRC.

Except the "Thud" was UGLY and the Hurricane was pretty handsome... But then I agree it's all a matter of taste... ::)