Register here

Author Topic: F/A-16. A CAS aircraft with some get up and go.  (Read 38654 times)

Offline Doggzilla

• CLEARANCE: Restricted
  • This space available for advertising.
Re: F/A-16. A CAS aircraft with some get up and go.
« Reply #135 on: May 26, 2014, 12:48:21 pm »

I don't understand why the Army and the Marines wanted the A-10 and OV-10.

Err…where does it say that the USMC wanted A-10s/OV-10s?   It states that "In 1990, Congress decreed that some USAF A-10A's and OV-10 Broncos be turned over to the Army and Marine Corps beginning in 1991."
[/quote

Talked to a Colonel of an F-16 reserve unit who also had instructed in the A-10 and OV-10. Said the OV-10 was his favorite, and that the A-10 was awesome except it needed more powerful engines.

Its not just congress, some of the fighter jocks really liked them as well.
If you haven’t found it yet, keep looking. Don’t settle. As with all matters of the heart, you’ll know when you find it. And like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on.

Offline Colonial-Marine

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
  • Fighting the UAV mafia.
« Reply #136 on: January 08, 2015, 05:58:20 pm »
According to the A-16 information at F-16.net the 30mm gun would heat up and singe the inner components of the left fuselage. So the 30mm cannon planned for the A-16 was internally mounted in the wing-root like the normal 20mm M61A1? Was it the same GAU-13/A used in the GPU-5/A gun pod by the "F/A-16"?

A bit off-topic but the GPU-5/A was tested on a number of other aircraft including the A-7 in which it was carried on wing store stations versus under the fuselage. I presume one was carried under each wing but I can't find anything to confirm that. Does anybody have any images or information about this? Was the GPU-5/A envisioned as an important weapon for the A-7F? I presume the aircraft would have been a somewhat sturdier gun platform than the F-16.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 06:11:08 pm by Colonial-Marine »
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

Offline Abraham Gubler

« Reply #137 on: January 08, 2015, 06:27:54 pm »
According to the A-16 information at F-16.net the 30mm gun would heat up and singe the inner components of the left fuselage. So the 30mm cannon planned for the A-16 was internally mounted in the wing-root like the normal 20mm M61A1? Was it the same GAU-13/A used in the GPU-5/A gun pod by the "F/A-16"?

The GAU-12 25mm gatling was designed to fit the footprint of the M61 20mm gatling but firing a high velocity projectile. Even the smaller GAU-13 30mm would be too long to fit into the internal footprint of the M61 on the F-16.

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,11.msg145841.html#msg145841A bit off-topic but the GPU-5/A was tested on a number of other aircraft including the A-7 in which it was carried on wing store stations versus under the fuselage. I presume one was carried under each wing but I can't find anything to confirm that. Does anybody have any images or information about this? Was the GPU-5/A envisioned as an important weapon for the A-7F? I presume the aircraft would have been a somewhat sturdier gun platform than the F-16.

See here:

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,11.msg145841.html#msg145841
"There is a tendency in our planning to confuse the unfamiliar with the improbable." Thomas Schelling

Offline pathology_doc

« Reply #138 on: January 12, 2015, 05:18:26 am »
IIRC the key attributes of a CAS aircraft are the ability to loiter, combat persistence (plenty of hardpoints, lots of ordnance and oodles of cannon ammo), and the ability to shrug off hits from hand-held small-arms, at least from the systems-integrity POV. A single-engined airplane optimised for dogfighting, with a thin low-aspect-ratio wing and a section optimised towards the high subsonic end of the speed spectrum, seems a rather poor choice in that regard, whatever its merits as a delivery system for accurate and devastating single-pass strikes. In a shooting war with Iran, China or North Korea, sure. As a general go-anywhere, do-anything CAS tool, possibly not. (Which is not to say you can't have a helmet-mounted sight and two or four ASRAAM-type fire-and-forget missiles plus the appropriate training to deal with careless enemy fighters or battlefield helicopters, but the last thing you want is your CAS pilot reverting to dogfight mode and leaving the troops in the lurch. That's what air superiority is for, and without air superiority, the US forces are philosophically meaningless.)

Offline GTX

• All hail the God of Frustration!!!
    • Beyond The Sprues
« Reply #139 on: March 09, 2019, 04:23:46 pm »
Did we ever identify which 30mm cannon was proposed to be fitted internally?