Curtiss Aircraft List

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Hi,

Of course I can't speak about all Curtiss aircraft but I will speak about
Model-1 to Model-100,and some Curtiss Wright aircraft.

1 JN-4 two seat trainer biplane.
2 R series two seat recce biplane .
3 Model-T built for Wanamaker as large triplane powered by four 240 hp Renault inline engines.
4 ---------?.
5 N-9 single seat training floatplane.
6 H-12 twin engined flying boat biplane.
7 Judson single seat hydro triplane powered by one 450 hp Curtiss K-12 inline engine.
8 HS-1 single engined coastal patrol flying boat biplane.
9 L side-by-side two seat private-owner trainer triplane powered by one 90 hp Curtiss OX engine.
10 S series single seat scout triplanes.

For reference, I attached the Curtiss model number index from

Peter M. Bowers: "Curtiss Aircraft 1907-1947", Putnam, 1979​

As usual, the quality of the scans is "readable", but no better ;). It must be noted that all numbers prior to 75 were assigned retroactively in 1935.

Regards
Andreas

Attachments

• curtiss1.jpg
    curtiss1.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 545
  • curtiss2.jpg
    curtiss2.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 570
So the numbers without "CW' appear to be from the main plant while the ones with "CW" are from the St. Louis plant? That would seem to make some sense. Where was the main plant? I know they did operate a government plant in Columbus, OH, but were ordered to transfer the entire operation to NAA.

Curtiss had its principal facilities in Hammondsport, NY and Buffalo, NY.
Hammondsport was the place were Glenn Curtiss was born. I think the Buffalo plant was formerly operated by Consolidated.
The St Louis plant, was transferred to McDonnell Aircraft in July 1945 and all aircraft production was then concentrated in Columbus, OH until 1950 when the Airplane Division ceased to exist.

The original project listing is reproduced in the recent (and pricey, and heavy and beautiful) book on Curtiss combat planes by Schiffer Publishing. However, first it ends in 1945, and second itdoesn't include all projects and designs studied (far from it, I think...)

Hi,

The Model-79 (Hawk IV) was developed from Hawk III with enclosed cockpit
as single seat fighter/bomber biplane.

Hi,

The Model-88 (XP-53) was a single seat low wing monoplane fighter project,
fitted with eight-guns.

Dear Andreas Parsch,

Some little known aircraft for Cutriss;
Model-11 was a project of winged car with twin boom configuration.
Model-24 was a highly unusual three seat torpedo bomber.
Model-29 SX4-1 flying boat glider.

Attachments

• curt-auto02.jpg
    curt-auto02.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 434
  • curt-ct.jpg
    curt-ct.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 401
So far , we have four -dependable-sources about Curtiss aircraftdesigns .

Curtiss Aircraft - Putnam via Andreas Parsch
Curtiss X-planes - Schiffer via Jos Heyman
Curtiss Fighter Aircraft - Schiffer via Skybolt
Curtis CW-24 designation use - Skyways 37

As we can see the letter codes differ...
What is the explanation of the difference.
Purpose of the design or Curtiss department were the design was created
or a combination of both...
Are there more sources /references?

There is something at the Smithsonian, were the shreds of the Curtiss Aircraft Division ended up after major looting.

Hi All!

Curtiss Model 65---export version of XF11C-2, 126 built including 32 as floatplanes (for Bolivia, Chile, China, Colombia, Cuba, Germany, Norway, Thailand and Turkey).

The 1935 system was created artificially from the remains of whatever information was available to the company historians at the time. The sequence was not always coherent, some planes went missing, others were not exactly in chronological order.

Here is the list of Models 1 to 99, to the best of my knowledge.
Wherever some gaps could be filled, I've indicated some possibilities.

model number] former designation - popular name - details

1] Model JN "JENNY"
2] Model R series
3] Model T "WANAMAKER TRIPLANE"
4] Model K
5] Model N-9
6] Model H series AMERICA / SMALL AMERICA / LARGE AMERICA
7] Model FL (designation also found for the "JUDSON TRIPLANE")
8] Model HS
9] Model L
10] Model S
11] AUTOPLANE
12] Model NC "NANCY" (Navy-Curtiss)
13] Model BA Tractor
14] Model BA Pusher
15] Model 18-T/18-B "BATTLEPLANE" (Army)
16] Model HA "DUNKIRK FIGHTER" (Navy)
17] ORIOLE
18] Model MF (Navy), MF-SEAGULL
19] EAGLE
20] CRANE
21] Army PN-1
22] "COX RACERS"
23] Navy CR and Army R-6
24] Navy CT
25] SEAGULL
26] license-built ORENCO D
27] undocumented in archives (perhaps NIGHT MAIL ? Curtiss-Bleecker helicopter?)
28] Navy TS-1
29] SX4-1
30] Army NBS-1
31] Navy CS
32] Navy R2C and Army R-8
33] Army PW-8
34] HAWK / SUPER HAWK (Army PW-8A, P-1 and Navy F6C)
35] HAWK (Army P-6E/-6F/-6I)
36] Army NBS-4
37] FALCON (Army O-1)
38] FALCON (Army O-1G)
39] "IRON DUKE" (Navy F4C), developed jointly by Curtiss and Hall
40] CARRIER PIGEON
41] LARK
42] Navy R3C
43] SEAHAWK (Navy F7C)
44] FALCON (Army A-3)
45] FALCON
46] FALCON (Army BT-4)
47] HAWK II
48] FLEDGLING (Navy N2C)
49] HELLDIVER (Navy F8C/O2C)
50] ROBIN
51] FLEDGLING
52] CONDOR (Army B-2)
53] CONDOR-18 (Model CO)
54] TANAGER
55] KINGBIRD and Navy JC/RC
56] THRUSH
57] TEAL
58] SPARROWHAWK (Navy F9C)
59] SHRIKE (Army A-8/A-10)
60] SHRIKE (Army A-12)
61] HELLDIVER (Navy S3C)
62] RAVEN (Army O-40)
63] HAWK (Army P-23)
64] HAWK/GOSHAWK (Navy F11C)
65] HAWK export version; 65-A was a demonstrator HAWK
66] SWIFT (Army P-31)
67] HAWK (Navy F11C/BFC/BF2C)
68] HAWK III
69] SHRIKE (Navy S2C)
70] Navy F13C
71] SEAGULL (Navy O3C/SOC/SO2C/SON)
72] FALCON II
73] Navy F12C/S4C, SBC-1
73] FALCON Army Observation Type II
75] HAWK / MOHAWK (Army P-36, XP-37, P-40, XP-42)
76] SHRIKE II (Army A-14, A-18)
77] HELLDIVER (Navy SBC-2 to -4)
78] Single-seat midwing pursuit proposal
79] HAWK IV
80] Interceptor Fighter Proposal (X-608 competition?)
81] TOMAHAWK (Army P-40)
82] SEAGULL III / SEAMEW (Navy SO3C)
83] Army attack bomber proposals from the late '30s (CP 38-385)
84] SHRIKE (III) (Army A-25) and HELLDIVER III (Navy SB2C)
85] OWL (Army O-52)
86] Army P-46
87] KITTYHAWK / WARHAWK (Army P-40)
88] Army P-53
88] Twin engine observation proposal; never built
90] Army XP-60, XP-60D
91] Army P-62
92] BLACKHAWK (Army XA-43 project with TG-180 turbojet)
93] HELLDIVER (Navy XSB3C-1 with R-3350 engine)
94] Navy F14C-2
95] Army XP-60A/B/C/E
96] Navy BTC-2
97] SEAHAWK (Navy SC)
98] Navy BT2C-1
99] "STINGAREE" (Navy F15C)

Till next time with the CW-series...

The XP-46 was to be the improved fighter reserved for the Air Corps and paid with foreign sales of P-40's. It was a pursuit interceptor in the European style, as fast as the Bf 109. The British, ordered 1000 P-46 in late 1940. But Curtiss failed to produce the expected fighter and North American which was tasked with the production of the British order offered its own NA-73 instead (The future Mustang).

If France could have resist a few months against the German invasion (capitulation was signed June 1940) an XP-46 order could have been plausible. But since XP-46 toke place in February 1941, I think the fighters would have been delivered in 1942 (considering a succesful aircraft). P-46 in France...too whatif scenario.

Stargazer2006 said:
Dear joncarrfarrelly, the allocation of the number "83" was unknown to me until today... Thanks for the info! Can you fill in my other missing Curtiss designations too? Models 27, 65, 74, 78, 80, 89, 92 and 93 are still unaccounted for in my lists, and the otherwise great Putnam book had nothing to say about them!

In the back of the Dean & Hagedorn book they reproduce the original Curtiss generated list that Pete Bowers used to create the list
in the Putnam book.

The list was evidently produced as a retrospective attempt by Curtiss to list all projects from 1916 on, it is originally dated 25 Sept. 1945 with a revision date of 15 Jan. 1946.

As pointed out in the Dean & Hagedorn book, Pete's Putnam list of designations has problems in that in many cases listed designations do not show up in primary Curtiss documentation. Also the author's found designations in Curtiss documents that were not on Pete's list nor the Curtiss list of 1946.

I highly recommend the Dean & Hagedorn book.

From the Curtiss list (note the reuse of 92):
27 Racer
(Navy) CR2 L-17-3
Army Racer R-6

65 Hawk Type 2
65A Demonstrator Hawk

74 Army Observation Type II Falcon

78 Pursuit (proposal only) Single-seat midwing

80 Interceptor Fighter Proposal with extension shaft
80A Interceptor Fighter Proposal

89 Observation Twin engine proposal Never built

92 Scout bomber Helldiver XSB2C-2 Twin float seaplane replaced by Design 84C, 84D

92 Attack XA-43 TG-180

93 Scout Bomber Helldiver XSB3C-1 R-3350

Jon

Hey John, thank you so much!

This makes my Curtiss list complete... almost. I realize there is a possible mistake on Model 27, as my list states the CR- and R-6 racers were Model 23 (an info I found in several sources)... Also the HAWK II is supposed to be Model 47. Any clues as to why?

Thanks again!

From the same list:
23 Racer CR-1 L-17-1 Navy
23A Hydro Racer CR-3

47 Special Doolittle Hawk

You have to bear in mind that the Curtiss list was generated after the fact in 1945 and was primarily based on, quoting D & H, "C-W Report 5789" and "miscellaneous correspondence and records". The authors point out that while the list is a Curtiss generated document it nonetheless has numerous errors and anomalies that don't match other Curtiss records. Also it seems that all published project lists have been based on this Curtiss document thus repeating and compounding its errors, anomalies and omissions. They conclude that a lot of research remains to be done.

From an entry in the Export Hawk section of the Dean & Hagedorn book, the Roman numeral 'II' nomenclature first shows up in the
Curtiss records on a Colombian order for Seaplane Design 35-A, (MSN 11701 to 11705), otherwise, based on original order and
delivery documents
, the export Hawk Type II are 65 and 65-A.

Jon

Hi joncarrfarrelly!

Thanks, very good information!

74 Army Observation Type II Falcon---in which competition was involved ?
78 Pursuit (proposal only) Single-seat midwing---in which competition was involved ?
89 Observation Twin engine proposal Never built---in which competition was involved ?

93---XSB3C-1 and XA-40

and Model 83---?

but XA-43---Model 100 (source: AAHS Journal, Vol. 52, No. 1 - Srping 2007)

Wow! Lots of very interesting information and sound explanations!

Models 83 and 83-A were described earlier on in this topic as "attack bomber proposals from the late '30s".

If the XA-43 was Model 92, how can it also be Model 100? Would they change the Model number simply for a change in engine? Doesn't compute with the practice at Curtiss then. Or was it a whole different design? A Buffalo designation for the CW-27/XP-87?

Hi,

I think the Model-80 was for X-608 competition,which led to develope Lockheed P-38,
and the Model-83 was for USAAC Circular Proposal 38-385,which of the contenders
were; Bell Model-9,Boeing-Stearman Model-100 XA-21,Martin Model-167 XA-22,
Douglas Model-7B A-20 and North American NA-40,for attack bomber.

Hi,

also I think the Model-78 was submitted to the same tender as Vought F4U.

Hello I found this fascinating forum while mistakenly typing "Curtiss CW-6" instead of Cessna CW-6, an original factory photo I was seeking info on...*But won't wander off into Cessna designations, right now...
I am happy to help with research into many of the Curtiss Wright original archive files. The Stargazer2006 lists are very good indeed. I will try to fill in blanks when I notice any differences that stand out, or missing items. Aside from production reports and many original first generation photo files (many of the photos are backs tamped "Office Original") and original 8 x 10 negatives and reports for various periods and projects of Curtiss Wright, one of my most used reference books is a clasp/binder compilation of horizontal "spread sheet type" listings, titled "Curtiss Wright Airplane Model Designations."
As already noted there are a lot of mixed and confused designations. But at least this book has many of them in some reasonable order.
The fields/columns across the top of each page are as follows:
Design #; Type; Model Designation (broken into two sections-Primary and Alternate); Year; Quantity; S.O.; Customer; Model Spec; Built At; Engine (with sub-cat Make and Model) and Description.

As Stargazer2006 list starts with "Model number" those numbers match the First column in the Curtiss Wright book for Design #. I will try to fill in questions, and note differences, a bit later.
Fist, it would be best to give CWs own explanation of the spread sheets.
At top of first page, it reads
"Revised t0: 25 Sept.1945
Each different design is given a designating number. Subsequent variations or developments of the design are given a dash letter.
(References: C-W Report 5789 plus Misc correspondence and records)
Design numbers note in () represent St. Louis (Curtiss-Robertson Airplane Mfg. Co. or Curtiss-Wright Airplane Corporation)
Travel Air, and Moth airplanes for which numbers of a different series were assigned before establishment of the present master numbering system. They are inserted in their approx. correct chronological order."
One question I see here is about #45.
The list has Design # 45; Special; Lindbergh; A-3B; 1930; One built; Customer: Army Lindbergh; with a Curtiss D-12-E for Army and (converted to?)Curtiss GV-1570; Description/NC7455.
Well, it is a start I suppose...
The clasp, type of binder and paper age prevent bending back the pages to scan them..

Design # 27; Type-Racer, Navy; Model desig, Primary, L-17-3, Alternate, CR2; 1922;; One; Navy; Garden city; Curtiss D-12

*Also below this #27 line is (No design # space filled in but ABOVE the line that starts Design # 28)
Army Racer Q-6 1922; Curtiss D-12; World's record.

There are numerous confusing entries. Some do not seem to make sense. (listing two distinctly different Types as same design #) , for instance, in some cases.

I am only listing what is in the original 1945 CW spread sheets..

memaerobilia said:
Design # 27; Type-Racer, Navy; Model desig, Primary, L-17-3, Alternate, CR2; 1922;; One; Navy; Garden city; Curtiss D-12

*Also below this #27 line is (No design # space filled in but ABOVE the line that starts Design # 28)
Army Racer Q-6 1922; Curtiss D-12; World's record.

There are numerous confusing entries. Some do not seem to make sense. (listing two distinctly different Types as same design #) , for instance, in some cases.

I am only listing what is in the original 1945 CW spread sheets..

Hi! Thank you for popping in and sharing your precious information with us!

I'm really impatient to read more of your contributions to this thread... and thrilled that Curtiss archives are still available somewhere!

Regarding the problem with the spine of the files, you don't have to spread them open. A digital camera can do wonders, believe me. No flash and sufficient aperture, preferably on a tripod stand... Try it! You'll be amazed of the results.

Joe, from the data you provided on designs #27 and #45, I started an Excel file that I will update as more information comes along. Does that correspond to how your information is organized, or have I made a mistake?

Attachments

• test-curtiss.gif
    test-curtiss.gif
    5 KB · Views: 258
Yes, Stargazer (Sorry I don't know your names on here, yet) those are the correct Excel fields and columns, in the correct order. Sorry I could not have responded earlier, but you got them right, so did NOT waste time..I belong to a couple of other aviation history forums, so am not a complete novice to posting with images etc for most forum posting requirements. Have a little photobucket account for sending images to illustrate some of my discussions and answer image requests. (Aside from the Curtiss and Curtiss Wright Original photos & 8 x 10 negatives in the files, I have a British photographer/author's collection of 30,000 aviation prints and 120,000 negatives of mostly British and British Commonwealth aircraft, but many other nations in there also-for all eras and in all sizes of negatives, Have scanned about 2400 so far in high res.With the Excell lists of my own searching fields and IDX. They are all indexed by me after a six week full time re-organization after they all tumbled about during shipping to me..
I DO notice that there are FEW images on this forum, so perhaps they are not desirable?
Back to CW. I DO have one Excell list of Curtiss and CW OOAK (one-of-a-kinds) as per the production/designation list we have been discussing, here. It is only a work in progress, as I get to it when looking for info requests. Only has about 77 or so, mostly pre-war aircraft (so far) that were one-off (acording to the list) so won't be surprised to eventually find out that a couple were never even produced...Now, I know how to get the code line for forum image posting via photobucket. But I have never tried an MS Excel list, which, of course is not a jpg. or .gif. I also know how to attach it to my emails. Any tips for trying to post a sample Excel list page on here? Also the regular "insert image" seems a little different in the reply post template, here. Do I still use the regular forum post code from, photobucket, to add them to posts here? Some other forums allow me to simply go to my own computer ile and add the image from my computer file, to directly upload to the forum WITHOUT all the editing and resizing tagging on photobucket. most want under 50kb .jpgs, for that. Once I get comfortable posting Excels and jpgs, I can respond with more info and answer specific requests (if i have the information in my files.) Right now I have a lot-and growing number of Excel lists, that mostly correspond to my scans of specific aircraft types, but some cover Misc and groupings. I hesitate to post my email address on a forum, (Have almost been banned by my ISP after getting some spamming problems, after some people got my email address and mass-mailed/spammed using my return address.!) I don't see a Private Message feature here-which I do not like ANYway. How can i give you MY email, or get YOUR email so I can ask a few questions about using THIS forum and some help. then we can really get up to speed! :)
You CAN email me by going to my website and using the "contact" info at bottom of page. my website is the same as my ID here with an added.dot com.
Incidentally, I have a LOT of info, brochures and first generation company photos and negs for various CW VTOLS. and all kinds of things for proposals and one-offs for other aircraft. I even have some of the company's LARGE (original artork I think, as I have never peeled back the clear plastic sheeting that encloses and protects it) color detail dwgs of some of the various CW air-cars, including some that were NOT produced, I think.

We listed the XA.43 as Model 92, but Aerofiles as Model 100 http://www.aerofiles.com/_curthyphen.html

??? ??? ???

To the best of my knowledge, the projected XA-43 was the Model 92, while "Model 100" was the temporary designation of what became the CW-29 or XP-87.

There is an understandable confusion of several design/Model numbers of Curtiss and Curtiss Wright aircraft, due to their policy of re-issuing the same design number of one cancelled design project to other completely different aircraft design, that followed. The following information comes directly (Un-edited) from the “Curtiss Wright Airplane Model Designations” Company book which charts the productions of most of the company’s aircraft production, from the Curtiss Jenny, up through 25 Sept, 1945.
As to the XA-43:

Design # (different than Model designation)
(First listing)#92 charts Scout Bomber; Helldiver; XSB2C-2; cancelled; S.O. 400; Navy; Columbus; Wright R-2600-8; Marine Seaplane, twin float-Replaced by Design #84 C and D.

A following chart for (again) design #92 lists:
(Second listing)Design #92; Attack; Formerly assigned to XSB2C-2; XA-43; S.O. 200; Army; Buffalo; GE4 TG-180 jets; 2-place; Contract W33038 AC6266

For reference, here is also the information on the Design #84C and 84, as referenced, above.

Design #84C; Scout Bomber; SB2C-2; 1 built; S.O.100; Navy; Model Spec. SD268-1A; Columbus; Wright R-2600-8; Contract 93691, Marine.
• NOTE that the S.O. 100 MAY be where the model 100 listed on the Aerofiles page, originated?

Design # 84D; Scout Bomber; SB2C-2; 350 built; Navy; Columbus; Wright R-2600-8; Contract # 79082, Marine.

I’ll follow with some other corrections, clarifications to the Curtiss lists compiled in earlier posts on this thread. But I think it would be best to keep each design # in a separate post, to avoid even more confusion. I will list multiple design numbers in the same post, when they ALSO reference each other in the Curtiss Charts, as I have done with design #s 92, 84c and 84D, above.

Design #91 clarification. (it is listed as Army P-62, in above list, so this is just a clarifcation)

Design #91; Pursuit; XP-62; 2 built; S.O. 430; Army; Model Spec. 8343; Buffalo; Wright R-3350; Single place pursuit, Contract AC-19440.

Design #91A; XP-62; All information is the same as above, but. adding..."G.E. C.M. Turbo" in end description field.

Thanks so much. As usual, when it comes to Curtiss, you are THE MAN!!

Any idea what "S.O." might signify? I'm at a loss here... ???

Hi Stargazer;
I try not to speculate , when I honestly do NOT know something. No sense in pretending I do.. Does not seem to apply to "special 'Order" or even Service order. or? I HOPE, someone on this list can solve that desgnation question for us.I have not come across the answer (Yet!) in going through several file drawers or tech reports and aircraft files. It must be in there in several places, I'd think?

I was just looking to see what might need further clarifications and was somewhat "rattled" by looking at the Design # 37 charts! There are 27 separate listings for design #37 Falcons & Hawks, from 1926 O-1 through #37L 1930 Falcon 0-26! Five of them are one-builts. Will attack those once my head stops spinning. Certainly needs clarifications..
Interesting to me, was there was only one "X" "Alternate Model Designation" plane in that whole list. The 1929/30 X016 Falcon, with 6 built for the Army, at Garden City. as a two place trainer. That is an assumption, as description note reads " TR 2 PLP"

Found the Basic "S.O." info with some more digging in the files. Came up with some papers with matching numbers as "Sales Order Number." Have not yet cracked the codes as to 100, 200, 400 series numbers yet. But numbers preceded by C, D, & S. appear to be for planes manufactured in St. Louis. The sales order numbers include sales of all kinds, from a sale of one plane to a named individual:
S.O. C-18 4/23/35 to Don Robertson, 1 Curtiss Fledgling
to a foreign Govt, multi-plane order:
S.O. D-1 4/5/38 C.W. export to Bolivia 10 19R trainers
To single plane and multi-plane orders up to 3000, for US Army Air forces

Filling in two blank spots on list...

Design #74; Army Observation Type II; Falcon; 1934; Kenmore plant; not built

Design #89; Observation; Twin engine proposal, not built

*Correction: I see that design #89 IS on the list, but was accidentally typo'd as a second #88..leaving a blank spot for 89.

Here is another significant one:

It is oddly designated as:
Design # (1)28
Primary Model Designation: CW-28
Customer: American Airlines
Engine make: Wright/ Model: C18B6
Description: Low Wing, 2 Eng. DC3 Replacement

There is no number in the "number built" column, so I assume none were built.

memaerobilia said:
Here is another significant one:

It is oddly designated as:
Design # (1)28
Primary Model Designation: CW-28
Customer: American Airlines
Engine make: Wright/ Model: C18B6
Description: Low Wing, 2 Eng. DC3 Replacement

There is no number in the "number built" column, so I assume none were built.

Hadn't seen this post before. CW-28 was a projected CW-20 COMMANDO commercial variant with a nose gear. It was not built.

GREAT! Stargazer.
Yes I was aware of the Chile Export and NAT Mailplanes as there is related material I have, on them from other filed sources. Also the DC-3/Commando comparison/replacement concept.
Your information fills in "puzzle questions" of Mine, and apparently, some of my info confirms, or fills in "puzzle questions" of yours. Progress :)
That clears things up enough for me to go further in recording these. Then we can add to the "L" listings. Some of the dwgs and Engineering reports have the "L" number, and lists ONE plane after that (ie. the PW8-A after L-18-3). But further, closer inspection of the bluprint drawings, especially, may contain a number of additional specific aircraft designations under the same dwg. Some will have all of the different matching Navy, Army, civilian and commercial designations, and some may even add specific export and Mailplane versions that fit that "L" designation. I did not notice these desginations the first few times I tried to describe them in making an inventory list of them. (Not to mention carefully unfolding 80 year old, 11 foot long dwgs!)These additonal designations (sometimes up to six for a single "L" designation, are usually noted in very small boxes in the blueprint table boxes, along with the usual draftsmen, department, title, dates, subjects. revisions, etc etc To be honest, my list only contains about the same amount of aircraft as YOUR list, but with the different ones, we can make some good progress, I hope.

I hav just stumbled across Secret Projects in my search for some Curtiss information and am hoping someone here can help. Has anyone ever heard of Curtiss Manual N-100 ?

I am restoring a Curtiss Robin airplane and have acquired whatever drawings were available from NASM. On nearly all of the drawings is a general note saying, "Refer to Manual N-100." I believe this was a standard practices manual which would have specified finishing methods, tolerances, heat treating, etc.

Any leads will be appreciated.

Dick Fischer

otrcman said:
I hav just stumbled across Secret Projects in my search for some Curtiss information and am hoping someone here can help. Has anyone ever heard of Curtiss Manual N-100 ?

I am restoring a Curtiss Robin airplane and have acquired whatever drawings were available from NASM. On nearly all of the drawings is a general note saying, "Refer to Manual N-100." I believe this was a standard practices manual which would have specified finishing methods, tolerances, heat treating, etc.

Any leads will be appreciated.

Dick Fischer

Welcome to this forum, Dick, and congratulations on the Robin restoration. What exact type is it? What engine?

Anyway, I am a Curtiss buff myself but I think the best person to ask about Manual N-100 on this forum is probably a member called memaerobilia, who has access to a vast amount of Curtiss material. Unfortunately he doesn't visit too often, but if you check on his profile page you can send him a personal message from there, maybe even an e-mail if he has left his address there.

A good address on the web for old books and brochures is www.icarusbooks.com but they don't seem to have anything like the "N-100" at this point.

Thank you for the lead toward finding Manual N-100. I have sent an email as you suggested. Actually, I have two Curtiss Robin projects. The "front burner" project is a Model J-1D, serial no. 711. The J-1D makes it a Wright J6-5 powered Deluxe model. When I acquired this project it had been a crop duster and was significantly modified. I have "un-modified" the plane and located an original J6-5 engine. Had to make all new cowling and firewall forward engine hardware from scratch.

My other Robin is really a parts pile that went through a fire at one time. There is no serial number in evidence, but it is a very early OX-5 machine. I have acquired both N-number and title for the very first Robin, NC5049. According to CAA records, NC5049 (serial no. G-1) was destroyed and written off the registry in 1937. My understanding is that "G-1" tells us that it was the first airplane of that model and was built at Garden City. After about ship #3, all production Robins were built by Curtiss-Robertson in St. Louis.

Regarding the designation L-710, I have a number of engineering reports that carry this same number. I will have to review my work, but it seems to me that there are sub-designations for different Robins, such as L-710-1, L-710-2, L-710-3, etc. The dash numbers imply successively later Robin models which would correspond to Model B, Model C-1, Model C-2, Model J-1 ....... I have never fully broken the code between dash numbers and model numbers.

Dick

joncarrfarrelly said:
Hi Tophe, the R-1830 powered Hawk 81A was not an intermediate step between the P-36 and P-40, rather
it was a P-40 purchased by Pratt & Whitney to test their R-1830-SSC7-G engine.

Any pic of this plane?