Register here

Author Topic: US Navy’s UCLASS / CBARS / MQ-XX / MQ-25 Stingray Program  (Read 221400 times)

Offline sferrin

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: US Navy’s UCLASS / CBARS / MQ-XX / MQ-25 Stingray Program
« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2013, 09:02:33 am »

The F-35 is in every way a modern F-4.   And UCLASS brings back the strike range that's been lacking since the A-6.  Granted, the A-6 had a lot of capability the UCLASS never will (at least in uncontested airspace) but the extra range will be a boon.
I'm sorry but no. If you're looking for the modern F-4 on a carrier, the yellow shirts are going to point you at the Super Hornet.

In what way is the F-35 not a modern F-4 where the Super Hornet is? 
"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Offline Vahe Demirjian

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
  • I really should change my personal text
« Reply #61 on: May 21, 2013, 12:53:34 pm »
Regarding the designation for the UCLASS program, if Northrop Grumman's X-47B is declared the winner of the UCLASS competition, the DoD should designate the Navy UCAV A-11 rather than A-47 to avoid creating a third out-of-sequence designation in the post-1962 attack series.

On another question, how will the cost of the UCLASS program affect the Navy's original procurement for the F-35 and the P-8? The concern is that if the cost of the UCLASS rises twofold, then the Navy may have to cut the F-35C procurement in half and cancel plans for a variant of the P-8 to replace the EP-3C.

Offline AeroFranz

• Aerospace Engineer
  • Top Contributor
« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2013, 03:05:46 pm »

On another question, how will the cost of the UCLASS program affect the Navy's original procurement for the F-35 and the P-8? The concern is that if the cost of the UCLASS rises twofold, then the Navy may have to cut the F-35C procurement in half and cancel plans for a variant of the P-8 to replace the EP-3C.

That is assuming UCLASS will cost as much as an F-35C. I hope that's not the case.
All modern aircraft have four dimensions: span, length, height and politics.   TSR.2 got the first three right - Sir Sydney Camm

Ian33

« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2013, 04:41:38 pm »
I am positive some one here on the SP Forum can decipher this for me  ???

http://news.usni.org/2013/06/26/navy-docs-reveal-uclass-minimum-ranges-and-maximum-costs

Because if I am reading this correctly, the cost is to be $150 million dollars apiece?  :o  ouch.

Offline gTg

« Reply #64 on: July 02, 2013, 02:40:17 am »
It's  "$150 million per orbit", i suppose you need at least 2-3 drones to keep up an orbit 24/7.

Offline Vahe Demirjian

• I really should change my personal text
« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2013, 12:13:42 pm »
The UCLASS program will be assigned a designation by the end of the year (http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/auvsi-usn-to-designate-uclass-before-end-of-fiscal-year-389506/). The million-dollar question is: what will the designation be?

In the past, combat UAVs have been assigned designations starting with "MQ-". Since RQ-12 has been assigned to the Wasp III for the Marines, the UCLASS may be designated either A-14 or MQ-23.

Offline Grey Havoc

• The path not taken.
The sole imperative of a government, once instituted, is to survive.

Offline George Allegrezza

« Reply #67 on: January 01, 2014, 09:26:47 am »
UCLASS concept now 70K to 80K lbs, has tanker and AMRAAM carrier roles, possibly with an unaugmented F135:

http://news.usni.org/2013/12/23/navy-uclass-will-stealthy-tomcat-size

Offline sferrin

« Reply #68 on: January 01, 2014, 09:41:51 am »
UCLASS concept now 70K to 80K lbs, has tanker and AMRAAM carrier roles, possibly with an unaugmented F135:

That sounds almost too good to be true. 

Offline sublight is back

« Reply #69 on: January 01, 2014, 09:56:52 am »
But Manazir cautioned that the UCLASS will not be nearly as stealthy as the F-35C.

I guess it wont look anything like the X-47B then. The weight will double too...

Offline sferrin

« Reply #70 on: January 01, 2014, 12:01:02 pm »
But Manazir cautioned that the UCLASS will not be nearly as stealthy as the F-35C.

I guess it wont look anything like the X-47B then. The weight will double too...

??    120,000 lbs would be too much for a carrier.

Offline George Allegrezza

« Reply #71 on: January 01, 2014, 12:56:09 pm »

That sounds almost too good to be true.

I'm wondering if the Navy is institutionally beginning to believe that, with the Pacific pivot, the A-12 mission never really went away, and they're trying to expand the UCLASS program to include some of the Avenger's capabilties in a platform that can be deployed relatively quickly.

Offline sublight is back

« Reply #72 on: January 01, 2014, 02:13:26 pm »

??    120,000 lbs would be too much for a carrier.
I'm saying it wont have the same stealthy shape, and at least double the mass @ 80,000 lbs.

Offline bobbymike

Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

Charles W. Eliot

Offline sferrin

« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2014, 11:24:48 am »
War is Boring delivers yet again:
"The manned planes would spot targets and the UCLASS would fire air-to-air missiles, functioning as a sort of “flying missile magazine,” Manazir said."
Hardly dogfighting as they claim in their headline.   ::)