rodney

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
:) Very interesting article from Navy International April 1975 regarding a convertible warship design.
Does anyone have access to further information, perhaps a larger and clearer drawing as per page 23 or 25?
Enjoy and I look forward to any replies.

Attachments

• Protean 1006.jpg
    Protean 1006.jpg
    289.5 KB · Views: 1,124
Very interesting concept!!
I found the following interesting -
"One such proposal showed an overall ship-cost (excluding aircraft) which was less than 70% of the cheapest conventional alternative, and for a ship more nearly meeting the user's requirements"

Unfortunately I'm not able to find anything more on the "Protean' project on the web :'(
Hopefully you will be able to uncover more information!!

Regards
Pioneer

It is one of History's little ironies that one of the potential customers for this concept was the Argentinian Navy.

Should there have been a Protean 1001 scan?

No. The article starts on Pg 22, in post 1, and continues on Pages 23-26 in post 2. The file names are a bit out of order, but the whole article appears to be reproduced here.

Navy News Nov 1977 has a half page with 3D views of ship & hangar deck

Naval Record August 1976 pp 145-149 full description with 3d drawings of structure plus full page drawing showing ship profile, flight, hangar, services, tank top decks

Numerous references in Australian documents (e.g. The Navy) discussing future carriers, available via Google

Back
Top Bottom