Register here

Author Topic: Using Real Names on the forum  (Read 15855 times)

Offline Matej

• Deputy Administrator
  • CLEARANCE: Top Secret
  • Multiuniversal creator
    • Hitechweb - bizare aviation
Re: Using Real Names on the forum
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2012, 12:44:10 pm »
For a lot of users their virtual name is something like trademark with all the consequences related to it. Thus its hard to change it. Its obvious that I don't have problem to use my real name :-)

Bizarre aviation expert.

Online PaulMM (Overscan)

• Secret Projects Forum Founder
  • Administrator
  • Paul Martell-Mead
    • Secret Projects
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2012, 01:51:20 pm »
I agree - it really came from setting up a Facebook page - its hard sometimes to figure who people are on the forum.

I'm not going to make any existing users change their name - but I have considered putting some rules on new user registrations. Not least, this would make it very easy to identify automated bot signups as they are unlikely to read the terms of the forum :)

If anyone wants to change their display name - see below. It doesn't change your logon name.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 01:52:55 pm by PaulMM »
"They can't see our arses for dust."

- Sir Sydney Camm

Offline Stingray

• CLEARANCE: Secret
  • Brony rotorhead...
    • Stingray's List of Rotorcraft
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2012, 02:03:53 pm »
How about this?

On my forum, users have to option of having both a public screen name, plus their real name. For security, the real name can only be viewed on their profile, and only registered users can see profiles.

Is is possible with this forum's software to have this kind of setup?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 02:07:05 pm by Stingray™ »

Offline BAROBA

• 3D artist
    • BAROBA's 3D portfolio-site
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2012, 02:31:04 pm »
Who is this PaulMM running around here, thinking he is the boss?
Wait until Overscan hears about this! >:(
 :P
You could use firstname'avatar' lastname as a possible solution.
Something like Paul 'Overscan' MM.

Just my two cents :)

Rob

Offline uk 75

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2012, 02:43:38 am »
I started using UK 75 on this and similar sites because it reflected my starting point "RAF order of battle in 1975 with TSR 2 etc" and "The Boeing SST in service in the 70s as originally planned". However, on some sites where the subject matter is just straightforward discussion of new aircraft models I did use my own name-ralph morton.
I will carry on using UK 75 for the time being as most of you know what to expect (or avoid for those I bore or annoy too much) from my pet subjects.

Offline starviking

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2012, 07:07:25 am »
For me, whilst starviking was initially a tribute to a game I was, and am heavily into, it has also become a useful way to maintain a presence on many fora, without the worry that my opinions will leak out to employers, society etc. A bit paranoid perhaps - but it's my security blanket.

Offline AlanDavies

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2012, 09:52:29 am »
I am taking this opportunity to use my real name as opposed to using my young son's toy dog (fudge) as my identity on this forum.

I am not a very frequent contributor to this site but can often be found lurking near to TSR2, P1154 and P1216 posts.

Alan

Offline Nik

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2012, 06:01:51 am »
I prefer to be semi-anonymous after years of having an employer that might, uh, grumble at my 'fringe hobbies'. They considered me odd enough as it was, and HR was prone to over-reacting aka 'getting in a royal snit'. At first, I even had to submit my letters to electronics magazines for prior approval. Fortunately, HR would promptly route same back to the engineers, to whose department I was effectively attached...

Also, I wrote an off-beat on-line novel about plausible vampires, and didn't care to put my entire name to it...

Since then, the habit has stuck. 

Offline foiling

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2012, 03:49:16 am »
I find this discussion quite a revelation, with very valid arguments either way. I imagine that most of the more senior members know each other's true identity, anyway (?) There are times - more often than not - when I wonder if I might recognise the person by their real name as the author of numerous books that I have purchased with much pleasure & a greedy lack of self-control.
I must admit, I do also wonder sometimes who is behind the occasional unkind retort or unpleasant argument, but I usually get on line after the dust has settled and I wouldn't know the pugilists anyway.
I automatically used my usual pseudonym because the site - like most - leads one in the that direction, if I recall correctly. I rather like 'foiling' because it has an air of mystery about it, making me seem more important & knowledgable than I really am. And, it is an anagram of my name: N F Giloi; but you can call me Neville.

Offline RP1

• I see the truth in it.
    • RP1 dot net
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2012, 10:22:50 am »
I've generally avoided using my real name, but also been clear about who I am - largely because, as Matej indicates, a username is basically a "brand" - I've had RP1 as a nickname since the age of 11!

Paul; I never twigged that that was the source of "overscan". For some reason I thought it was from the phenomenon with airborne weather radars... The line "[size=78%] [/size][size=78%]I when we used to do computer graphics on Amiga computers at raves and nightclubs back in the 1990s."[/size]

implies an interesting backstory...

RP1
"Just your standard-issue big gun."
- Batou, Ghost in the Shell

http://rp-one.net/

Offline Schneiderman

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2012, 08:55:33 am »
I agree with the 'brand' concept, if I used my real name it says nothing, my id and avatar, on this and other aviation forums, is more imformative. Its easy enough to work out who I am if you really felt the need to know, or you could just ask. However if the policy were to use real names I would not object,

SM