Boeing Twin Boom Airliner

Arjen

It's turtles all the way down
Reaction score
Boeing twin boom spotted in Aviation Week's Leading Edge blog.

Boeing's design is described as having "two independent spaced apart fuselages and two wings of similar area", the lower forward wing attached to the forward fuselages and the upper aft wing mounted on struts so the tips of the wings are separated vertically by at least 25% of the span.The wings have to be spaced apart to avoid the wake from the forward wing having an adverse aerodynamic effect on the aft wing. The Airbus configuration mitigates this by carrying less lift on the forward wing than the aft wing, and using forward sweep to minimize the vortices shed by the forward wing. Together, these allow the aft wing to be attached directly to the rear fuselages, saving weight. The engines can then be mounted on the aft wing, on the centerline, with adequate ground clearance.

Attachments

• Boeing double 1.jpg
    Boeing double 1.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 218
  • Boeing double 2.jpg
    Boeing double 2.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 207
Oops. I did, but after seeing several single-fuselage-tandem-wing patents by Boeing I seem to have skipped the bit where this configuration is mentioned.

Arjen said:
Oops. I did, but after seeing several single-fuselage-tandem-wing patents by Boeing I seem to have skipped the bit where this configuration is mentioned.

Which goes to show that we'd be better off with just ONE Boeing patents thread instead of creating new topics every time...

Fair enough. This topic to be deleted?

Arjen said:
Fair enough. This topic to be deleted?

I think this has to be decided between overscan and the moderators. I'm for the idea that the Patents section should contain topics by manufacturer, period. In the case of very large companies like Boeing one may consider two or three separate topics (prop aircraft, rotorcraft, jet aircraft for instance) but that's it. Otherwise it becomes unmanageable. What do others think?