Bassou designs

Tophe said:
A derivative of the Bassou Rubis of 1936 (see http://www.aviafrance.com/bassou-fb-31-rubis--aviation-france-9852.htm ) was (or would have been?) the Heider amphibian (from Le Trait d’Union #163 Sept-Oct 1995):
Well, in the Trait d'Union #170 (Nov-Dec 1995), the aspect of the Bassou Rubis (corrections article) is very different from the photograph in the link above. Alas I have not the main article of Trait d'Union about Bassou aircradt.

Attachments

• r_tu170.JPG
    r_tu170.JPG
    19.9 KB · Views: 604
Tophe said:
Alas I have not the main article of Trait d'Union about Bassou aircraft.
I was completely lost in the alphabetical counter-directions of the Trait d’Union articles "French manufacturers 1919-45 by Charles Claveau", anyway the Index helped me: I found the Bassou article, in T.U.137 (May-June 1991).
So, there were several Bassou families (or SCAL = Société de Construction et d’Aviation Légère) before 1945:
* Rubis family: high wing twin-boom (tractor or glider), only one copy (Rubis) has been built
* FB 20: one built
* FB 30: one built
* FB 31: low wing twin-boom pusher, two and half copies built, nick-named Fol (Crazy) or Le Grand Père Vampire (The Vampire Grand Father).
* FB 40/41: biplane, 3 copies built
So the link to the Bassou FB 31 should not have been called Rubis, or should have been read as "Rubis II".
The enclosed 3-view (initial project?) is more ‘purely’ twin-boom than the corrected one published later (presented here previously, built prototype):

Attachments

• r_tu137.JPG
    r_tu137.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 575
Tophe said:
* Rubis family: high wing twin-boom (tractor or glider), only one copy (Rubis) has been built
Detail of the Rubis family:
- Rubis: two seater, school or tourism (maybe 'General Aviation' in English), first flight in 1933, with code F-ALZZ, 40hp Salmson 9Ad engine
- Saphir: single-seat trainer (project)
- Heider: two-seat amphibian (project)
- Lutin: glider or motorglider (project)

In the Trait d'Union #224 (Nov-Dec 2005) is a good addition to the Bassou family:
1= Lutin glider
2= Saphir single-seater
3 = Rubis two-seater

Attachments

• r_tu224.JPG
    r_tu224.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 563
The article posted below appeared in l'Aéro. Unfortunately when I took a copy of the article, I failed to make a note of the date of the issue. I'll have to go back to my source and try to ascertain this. However for the present, the article is interesting in that it addresses the various variations on the original Rubis theme. But was the aeroplane photographically illustrated in the article F-ALZZ (which was registered as the SCAL Rubis c/n 01)? If the 'three view' drawing is a true representation of the aeroplane photographically illustrated, then it differs significantly from F-ALZZ. I'm inclined to think that F-ALZZ was an evolution of the aeroplane photographically illustrated. Maybe the aeroplane photographically illustrated was the Bassou FB.20. But if so, I've never come across another photograph of the FB.20, by reference to which to confirm or deny this theory.

Attachments

• rubis.jpg
    rubis.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 120
Very nice Info,thank you for sharing Avion.

Here Bassou fb 31 and 41
(aviation magazine)

Attachments

• test.jpg
    test.jpg
    471.8 KB · Views: 118
Don't forget that one of these curious little beasts actually made it onto the British civil register. F-APDT became G-AFCD in 1937 but it didn't last long, being destroyed in a fatal crash the following year. There is some newsreel footage of it after its arrival in the UK but before being re-registered as G-AFCD . The CAA records it as a FB.30, c/n 2 (which ties in with the French civil register entry for F-APDT). But if the information in Tophe's post of 24.09.11 is correct, maybe actually it was a (the?) FB.31. The information that Jackson gives about G-AFCD is that it was a wooden two seater pusher, powered by a 40 CV Menguin engine. However the photograph accompanying the text shows what appears to be a low wing aeroplane with twin booms (as does the newsreel footage of F-APDT after its arrival in the UK) - which is a different aeroplane to the single boom pusher illustrated on the aviafrance website and there described as the 'FB.31 Rubis'. So maybe there was more than one FB.30?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl9acRCqin8

I've looked again at the FB.31 illustrated on the aviafrance website and now realise that the aeroplane illustrated has twin booms - as do the aeroplanes in both of the top two photographs posted by Toura earlier today. Thus I think that, despite the registration details recorded against it in both France and the UK, F-APDT/G-AFCD was a FB.31. But maybe it started life as a FB.30 and no-one bothered to change its registered description when it was converted to a FB.31. So does anyone have a photograph of a FB.30?

Hi,

from L'Aerophile 11/1935,here is anther drawings to some of his aircraft.

Attachments

• Bassou.JPG
    Bassou.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 99
Bassou FB.40, for l'Aviation Populaire, still under construction in early 1938.
Text, drawing and specifications from L'Aérophile 02/1938.
Name is spelled "Bassou EB4" in the table, surely a mistake.

Attachments

• aviation_populaire_L_Aérophile_1938_p79.jpg
    aviation_populaire_L_Aérophile_1938_p79.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 61
  • aviation_populaire_L_Aérophile_1938_p80.jpg
    aviation_populaire_L_Aérophile_1938_p80.jpg
    636.8 KB · Views: 66
  • bassou_FB.40_L_Aérophile_1938_p82.jpg
    bassou_FB.40_L_Aérophile_1938_p82.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 71
Here is some different Bassou Projects ,

http://www.avia-it.com/act/biblioteca/periodici/PDF%20Riviste/Ala%20d'Italia/L'ALA%20D'ITALIA%201934%2005.pdf

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    455.8 KB · Views: 280
  • 2.png
    2.png
    430.4 KB · Views: 259
  • 3.png
    3.png
    481.1 KB · Views: 243
c460 said:
Bassou FB.40, for l'Aviation Populaire, still under construction in early 1938.
Text, drawing and specifications from L'Aérophile 02/1938.
Name is spelled "Bassou EB4" in the table, surely a mistake.

My dear C460,

there was a Bassou FB.40,and FB.4.

Attachments

• a.png
    a.png
    377 KB · Views: 205
Am I correct in my understanding that there were two aircraft designers with the surname Bassou, namely Antoine and Félix? Were they brothers (post # 8 refers to 'les frères Bassou')? Félix seems to have been involved with SCAL and to have been the designer of the post-war FB.31 and the FB.41, whereas it seems that Antoine was the designer of the pre-war Saphir and Rubis and their derivatives. It's not helpful that many of the texts simply refer to the designer as M. Bassou! Can anyone shed light on this?

I'll be much obliged, Hesham, if you can post a copy of the relevant extract from that issue of TU.

avion ancien said:
I'll be much obliged, Hesham, if you can post a copy of the relevant extract from that issue of TU.

OK my dear Avion.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    149.7 KB · Views: 117
Tophe said:
(from Le Trait d’Union #163 Sept-Oct 1995):
Presented also are derivatives of the Rubis designed by Guy Michelet:

From L'Air Revue 1743,

a clearer views to Rubis derivatives,with more Info.

Attachments

• 113.png
    113.png
    468.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 114.png
    114.png
    433.7 KB · Views: 53
  • L'Air___revue_mensuelle___[...]Ligue_nationale_bpt6k9796475z_17.jpeg
    L'Air___revue_mensuelle___[...]Ligue_nationale_bpt6k9796475z_17.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 49
  • L'Air___revue_mensuelle___[...]Ligue_nationale_bpt6k9796475z_18.jpeg
    L'Air___revue_mensuelle___[...]Ligue_nationale_bpt6k9796475z_18.jpeg