May and June Italian magazines

Nico

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Hi all,
as I usually I'm late in announcin' the new Italian publication of the month, this time I'm late on May but early bird about the June magazine (some are still to be published).
In my opinion the more interesting is "Savoia-Marchetti S.55" (I Grandi Aerei Storici, Delta Editrice); I tried to describe the aircraft mainly from the technical point of view and there is also an appendix devoted to all the twin-boom and twin hull SIAI-Marchetti aircraft, as S.60, S.64, S.65, S.66, S.77, S.88, SM.91, SM.92, SM.104, SM.105, SM.166 and also the FN.333 (that wasn't a SIAI design but was built under licence).
On "AEREI" N. 69 (May-June) there is a small feature about the power plant of the XF-84H and a fairly large article about the McDonnell F3H Demon. Moreover there is a divertissement about fake aircraft like the Soviet CZ-2 and the barrel-like "MiG-19" inspired by the Focke-Wulf Ta 183. There is also a feature devoted to the US Navy's Type Specification 149 (already subject of many posts on the Modern Aircraft section of this forum) and an article of my son Alberto about the projects of Charles H. Kaman.
For those interested in military vehicles, on the sister magazine "Eserciti nella Storia" (N. 68 May-June) there are some pics of lesser-known products like the Terrapin amphibious lorry or Canadian Pattern GM/Chevrolet vehicles, during the Battle for Scheldt More in depth, there is a description of the German light scout cars of the SdKfz 221 family (SdKfz 221, SdKfz 222, SdKfz 223, SdKfz 260 and SdKfz 261).
In June appeared "Caccia Sovietici" (Soviet Fighters, in the series GAM, I Grandi Aerei Moderni, The Great Modern Aircraft). Initially I was requested to do the Soviet Fighters 1950-1970, since the MiG-19 to the Yak-38, but excluding MiG-25/31. Later, the publisher changed his mind , including MiG-25, MiG-31 and T-50 (that cannot be labelled as "Soviet"...).
On "Aerei nella Storia", among some already wellknown and often treated matters, you can find a personal interpretation of mine about the Shinryu Kamikaze aircraft and a short article about how the Ilyushin Il-22 was influenced by the Heinkel He 343.
As much of our blogger friends know, I love cars like (and perhaps more) the aircraft, and sometime I manage to coniugate the two interest. On the very last issue of "Ruote Americane" (American wheels) there is a short story about the high performance chase cars used by the U-2 spy-plane units. About military vehicles there is an article about the new DARPA magic password: outsourcing, with some reference to the Experimental Crowd-derived Combat-support Vehicle Local Motors XC2V Flipmode. Totally off topics for this section, I wrote also a brief feature about advertisement of the 1959 International Harvester truck line.
If someone of you is interested in those magazine, the address of the publishers it's easy to find with Google (Ruote Americane is also available as a very low-priced PDF).
Nico