Vought V-1100 fighter to LWF specification

overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The V-1100 project was a further modification of the V-1000, which in turn was an improved F-8 Crusader. It had an enlarged rear fuselage for an F100 engine and a modified wing for greater manouvreability. The forward fuselage was also redesigned, primarily to improve the rear view from the cockpit.

V-1100 was submitted to the LWF program which resulted in the YF-16 and YF-17, but was rejected. Vought placed second-to-last, ahead of Lockheed.

Sources
  • Jay Miller
  • http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/planes/q0236.shtml

Attachments

• v1100-2.gif
    v1100-2.gif
    21.2 KB · Views: 3,018
  • v1100-3.gif
    v1100-3.gif
    20.1 KB · Views: 2,798
What with the F-8 Crusader’s reputation as the last true gun dogfighter (up until the USAF LWF / ACF program winner – F-16), I would say that with the thrust offered by the F100 turbofan engine, and its new wing and cockpit arrangement, the V-1100 could have been a very capable and effective fighter in its own right.

It’s a pity that there is not too much more information on this LTV design!

Regards
Pioneer

there's pictures of the mockup of the V-1100 on this forum. You might be surprise seeing it, cause the plane really look like...a F-16!

Archibald said:
there's pictures of the mockup of the V-1100 on this forum. You might be surprise seeing it, cause the plane really look like...a F-16!

Thats something new for me. Where?

And regarding to V-1100, its good that USAF pressed more on development potencial than on fast reliability and less development risk. Can you imagine F-8 Block 1860 currently in service instead of F-16E/F? :D

Sorry Archibald but what pictures of the Mock-up V-1100 ???

Regards
Pioneer

Greetings All -

Nothing like resurrecting an old thread! Last week I spent a few fruitful days in the Vought Archives and came away with a lot of new info - will post most of it over the next few months. One of the photos I scanned is a later variant of the V-1100 that appears much like Overscan's drawing but you'll note the installation of small "moustache" strakes forward of the wing itself. No luck in finding any line drawings :-(

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

• xLTV LWF V-1100 drawing.jpg
    xLTV LWF V-1100 drawing.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 5,419
Last edited by a moderator:
Nice picture, Mark! From the original sketch to me it looked more like a Crusader but from that angle its looking more F-16 with the LERX and wing. This makes the whole "three second place finishers but Northrop chosen" story seem more congruent since both the Boeing and LTV entry were similar, with GD's being the most evolved of that type.

Its been a while - but do you have a pic or link of this Mock-up V-1100 Archibald????
The suspense has been killing me!!!!!!!!!!

Regards
Rioneer

... and another image of the V-1100 LWF from the Vought Archives.

Can't help but think F-8 marries F-16 and the results are....

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

• xLTV V-1100 LWF-2.jpg
    xLTV V-1100 LWF-2.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 3,813
The head-on artist's drawing looks like the V-1100 may have had DSI. If so, would that be the first application of DSI? Boeing's ATF proposal looks as though it may have had DSI?

Grumman tested DSI on an F11F back in the late '50s timeframe.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

xltv-fighter-models-jpg.62160

Thanks Paul for posting these - had not gotten there yet myself :)

The one to the left in the full rez scan shows a V-?00 on the stand.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

I suppose I'm stating the bleeding obvious when I point out that the one on the left looks remarkably like the V-1100 from that other thread?

Ok, closer analysis leads me to conclude the model on the left is an early iteration of the V-1100 design.

Here's a comparison with the V-1000 and the V-1100. The tail is almost identical across all three, the ventral fin is common to V-1000 and mystery fighter, while the sharp break in the LERX with canard on the V-1100 as opposed to the smooth curve of the mystery fighter is better aerodynamically for vortex generation.

V-1100.jpg

Last edited:
overscan said:
Ok, closer analysis leads me to conclude the model on the left is an early iteration of the V-1100 design.

Here's a comparison with the V-1000 and the V-1100. The tail is almost identical across all three, the ventral fin is common to V-1000 and mystery fighter, while the sharp break in the LERX with canard on the V-1100 as opposed to the smooth curve of the mystery fighter is better aerodynamically for vortex generation.

The model also seems to have a separate windshield where the V-1100 artist's impression shows a frameless canopy - suggests that the model represents an earlier design iteration as well.

Another mistery projects are:

V-523 (1973): Very advanced fighter project for the USN.

V-540 (1980): Special project. Classified. Top Secret.

Hi All -

Here's the model cropped out of the original archival file I made.

HTH! Mark

Attachments

• xLTV Fighter Models1.jpg
    xLTV Fighter Models1.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 1,917
The lightweight fighter on the left of the original picture is the only project left to identify.

Trident said:
overscan said:

The model also seems to have a separate windshield where the V-1100 artist's impression shows a frameless canopy - suggests that the model represents an earlier design iteration as well.

A more realistic one, yes, but earlier? I'm not sure. Blended chines could have replaced canards as a more economical solution.

As for the designation, the stand clearly indicates V-*00. Two possibilities:
1°) If it's a four-digit designation, it can be only "V-1100", since there is no room for two wider digits. This seems the most plausible explanation to me.
2°) If it's a three-digit designation, it could only be V-700, V-800 or V-900 (all others were allocated), but if this was to be a development of the V-1100, I can't see Vought giving it a lower number. Unless of course, it is an EARLIER design as suggested... but it's unlikely because V-1000 had already been allocated for a lightweight "Freedom Fighter" project derived from F-8 in 1969 and also the "Super V-1000" proposal for LWF...

Stargazer2006 said:
A more realistic one, yes, but earlier? I'm not sure. Blended chines could have replaced canards as a more economical solution.

As for the designation, the stand clearly indicates V-*00. Two possibilities:
1°) If it's a four-digit designation, it can be only "V-1100", since there is no room for two wider digits. This seems the most plausible explanation to me.
2°) If it's a three-digit designation, it could only be V-700, V-800 or V-900 (all others were allocated), but if this was to be a development of the V-1100, I can't see Vought giving it a lower number. Unless of course, it is an EARLIER design as suggested... but it's unlikely because V-1000 had already been allocated for a lightweight "Freedom Fighter" project derived from F-8 in 1969 and also the "Super V-1000" proposal for LWF...

I've looked closely at the cropped photo and I'm convinced that the bar is obscuring a single digit. Even two 1s would not fit unless they were spaced much closer together than the spacing between the visible characters on the base.

Nice work Overscan!
Thanks for you're time and effort!!

Regards
Pioneer

Archibald said:

Ok....I give up.....I can't find this pictures of the mockup of the V-1100 on this forum :-[

Regards
Pioneer

There aren't any, I've never seen such a thing.

There is a photo of the Boeing design in mockup form, plus the Lockheed CL-1200 mockup.

A couple more images have come to light.
VAHF Collection.
V-1100-Artwork.jpg
V-1100-Briefing-Slide.jpg

Fantastic! Thank you Bill.

I looked at this again and I agree, the gap is too small for anything but a single digit. Rough sizing can be done from the pic with the 2 other designs (V-2000 and AI).

index.php

1971 still seems like a good timeframe though V-2000 studies go on to 1976 at least.

Anyone found anything more on this since 2011?

Engine nozzle seems to be exactly the same size as the V-2000, interestingly. Its roughly 46ft long so its very close to the V-1100 in size. I think its an F100 engine not J101/F404.

PaulMM (Overscan) said:
Engine nozzle seems to be exactly the same size as the V-2000, interestingly. Its roughly 46ft long so its very close to the V-1100 in size. I think its an F100 engine not J101/F404.

Nice Info my dear Paul.