Avions Marcel Dassault (MD) designations

Archibald said:
It would essentially looks like a Mirage 5 or Mirage 50. It wouldn't be too hard to create a (fake) 3-view, a kind of frankenstein Mirage F1 / V / 2000 composite.
The problem is

-10% more wing area (34,85 m² for the Mirage III => around 38,34 m² for MD 600)
-Wing with LERX (like the Mirage III V) for 5% more lift at high incidence

We don't know were are these 10% more wing area :

-same length but wider span of the wings ?
-root of the leading edge more forward ?
-root of the trailing edge further back ?
-the LERX is bigger (or not) than on III NG and/or IIIV ?
-mix of two or more of these possibilities ?

Maybe it would have LERX akin to the Mirage III-NG ?

I often wonder why did the Mirage III airframe stuck with the Atar 9K50 until the very end, in 1988.
The last Mirage III developments are
- Mirage 50 (1979)
- Mirage III-NG (1982)
- Mirage IIIEX (1988)
- Mirage 50M (1988)

One might think the III-NG might have had a M53, considering it had canards and fly by wire.

From Le Fana 447,

here is an Info about Dassault T30 Project and MD-301,MD-302 & MD-303.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    156.5 KB · Views: 172
  • 2.png
    2.png
    109 KB · Views: 164
From Icare 188,

the Ouragan variants.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    85.7 KB · Views: 104
  • 2.png
    2.png
    126.8 KB · Views: 92
  • 3.png
    3.png
    33.1 KB · Views: 87
Deltafan said:
At the beginning of the Cuny book Les chasseurs Dassault Ouragans, Mystères et Super-Mystères there is some extras for the 500, 600 and 650, and 800 :

-MD 500 : four Nene engines, 40 tons, 60 passengers for 2000 km, wings and fins looked likes those of the Ouragan (1948-49)

My dear Deltafan,

in Ailes 7/1948,they mentioned that,the MD-500 was a twin engined tourist aircraft Project,who
we can believe it ?.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    215.6 KB · Views: 37
hesham said:
Deltafan said:
At the beginning of the Cuny book Les chasseurs Dassault Ouragans, Mystères et Super-Mystères there is some extras for the 500, 600 and 650, and 800 :

-MD 500 : four Nene engines, 40 tons, 60 passengers for 2000 km, wings and fins looked likes those of the Ouragan (1948-49)

My dear Deltafan,

in Ailes 7/1948,they mentioned that,the MD-500 was a twin engined tourist aircraft Project,who
we can believe it ?.

This issue of Les Ailes 7/1948 shows that this MD-500 project was : Grand Tourisme - 2 x 200 hp - already cancelled.

Probably, as this first project was cancelled, the designation MD-500 was reused for the project that we knew before (MD 500 : four Nene engines, 40 tons, 60 passengers for 2000 km, wings and fins looked likes those of the Ouragan (1948-49)).

OK my dear Deltafan,

you meant the MD-500 re-allocated.

From Aviation Magazine 1953,

here is a strange Info about MD-600 fighter and MD-900 three jets bomber Projects;

According to source information American, six different prototypes are in the final stages.
at the Marcel-Dassault factories. One military apparatus would be of the lineage previous
and would carry the designation of Mystery-VI. We count, among these prototypes, the
interceptor has Delta MD-550 wing and a three-engine, the MD-900, which would be an
airplane of bombing raid. This confirms the information published in May 1953 by the
German magazine Der Flieger, which specified that the delta MD-550 was to reach 1,800
km.-h. and that another fighter had to be produced under the designation of MD-600.

Attachments

• MD.png
    MD.png
    254.2 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
From Aviation Magazine 1953,

there was a variants to MD-900 Jet Bomber Project,had a more powerful engines ?.

Attachments

• MD-900.png
    MD-900.png
    249.2 KB · Views: 22
from Georges Messier site,

there was also MB-31 ?.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 14
Hi!
Despite this question could be far from "designation", I wonder, why "Mirage" became not just a name of aircraft' series, but the the designation for most of AMD combat aircraft?
From tiny prototype MD-550 to nuclear bomber Mirage IV. From conventional Mirage F1 to exotic "Milan" and "Balzac" - all these different type bear the one famous name.
I'm also curious, if "Balzac" has been named after French novel' author?

I'm also curious, if "Balzac" has been named after French novel' author?
Balzac was a piece of humour. The Mirage III first prototype was numbered 001. At the time the Jean Mineur advertising company was famous, its logo appearing to French cinema audiences regularly along with its telephone number 'Balzac 001'. The central telephone exchange in Paris being on the rue Balzac...
When the Mirage IIIV demonstrator was built, it used the Mirage III 001 fuselage and so became nicknamed 'Balzac V'.

Balzac was a piece of humour. The Mirage III first prototype was numbered 001. At the time the Jean Mineur advertising company was famous, its logo appearing to French cinema audiences regularly along with its telephone number 'Balzac 001'. The central telephone exchange in Paris being on the rue Balzac...
When the Mirage IIIV demonstrator was built, it used the Mirage III 001 fuselage and so became nicknamed 'Balzac V'.

Thank you!
Really bold sense of humour.
I wonder if "Milan" obtain its's name by the character "Colonel Milan" from "The Tall Blond Man with One Black Shoe" comedy? Of course, movie has been released later, in 1972 - but who knows?

Anyway, it's nice, that such historical details are preserved. Aircraft naming is a big field for researchers.

Last edited:
I wonder if "Milan" obtain its's name by the character "Colonel Milan" from "The Tall Blond Man with One Black Shoe" comedy? Of course, movie has been released later, in 1972 - buth who knows?
No, this time it was nature that inspired, Milan is the French name for the kite, an agile raptor which fitted well the intent of the retractable canard programme.

No, this time it was nature that inspired, Milan is the French name for the kite, an agile raptor which fitted well the intent of the retractable canard programme.

Thanks for explanation, Hood!
I always think about Milan as Italian city :cool:
Mystere, Ouragan, Mirage and Rafale are truly successive names for fighters.

Back
Top Bottom