Register here

Author Topic: Sikorsky CH-53K King Stallion Heavy Lift Replacement (HLR)  (Read 37860 times)

Offline TomS

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: Sikorsky CH-53K King Stallion Heavy Lift Replacement (HLR)
« Reply #120 on: February 09, 2018, 11:37:43 am »
Jinx!

Offline fredymac

« Reply #121 on: March 07, 2018, 02:57:24 pm »

Offline Triton

• Donald McKelvy
    • Deep Blue to Wild Blue
« Reply #122 on: March 09, 2018, 02:30:22 pm »
Sikorsky CH-53K Completes Critical Flight Envelope Expansion with 36,000-pound External Lift

Published on Mar 7, 2018

The Sikorsky CH-53K King Stallion completed an external lift of a 36,000-pound payload at the Sikorsky Development Flight Center, achieving a maximum weight on the single center point cargo hook. Learn more: http://lmt.co/2FoXH3f

Offline Adventurer104

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
  • Retired Texas Peace Officer
« Reply #123 on: March 09, 2018, 11:29:53 pm »
While we’re here. Can someone point me to details on angling the rear rotar down to increase lift.
I’ve only seen a casual mention, not a detailed explanation suitable for a tired old retired cop.
Thanks in advance!

Offline marauder2048

• "I should really just relax"
« Reply #124 on: March 28, 2018, 01:15:44 pm »
It is.  I can't find a folded pic of the King Stallion anywhere.   I mean, they must have folded the beast by this point in testing.

I did find one rendering.

Getting closer...

Offline fightingirish

« Reply #125 on: April 23, 2018, 12:01:15 pm »
CH-53K Heads to ILA Berlin | Time-Lapse
In collaboration with the Naval Air Systems Command (NAVAIR), Sikorsky is bringing the CH-53K helicopter to ILA Berlin Air Show. This historic milestone marks the King Stallion’s international debut, and the very first time this heavy lifter will display its capability to the German public.
See how we got the King Stallion to the show in this video!
Video:

Code: [Select]
https://youtu.be/uQbCkQMxXIg
Slán,
fightingirish

Slán ist an Irish Gaelic word for Goodbye.  :)

McDonnell Douglas Model 225 painting by "The Artist" Michael Burke (Tavush) 2018, found at deviantart.com and at Secret Projects Forum » Research Topics » User Artwork » McDonnell Douglas Model 225 Painting

Offline AeroFranz

• Aerospace Engineer
  • Top Contributor
« Reply #126 on: April 23, 2018, 07:40:42 pm »
Does anyone know whether the German CH-53s had retained the power folding features? I mean, there's a lot of weight that goes into the actuators. I guess it's useful when you're trying to get inside a cargo plane, but that could probably be achieved manually given how infrequent that happens...
All modern aircraft have four dimensions: span, length, height and politics.   TSR.2 got the first three right - Sir Sydney Camm

Offline TomS

« Reply #127 on: April 24, 2018, 07:13:51 am »
Does anyone know whether the German CH-53s had retained the power folding features? I mean, there's a lot of weight that goes into the actuators. I guess it's useful when you're trying to get inside a cargo plane, but that could probably be achieved manually given how infrequent that happens...

They kept it in the CH-53G.  Here's a video showing the fold mechanism in action:

Offline RavenOne

« Reply #128 on: April 29, 2018, 09:22:56 pm »

Here she is, my photos first prodcution a/c making its first international debut ...mid week at ILA,

cheers

Offline seruriermarshal

« Reply #129 on: May 16, 2018, 04:34:46 pm »
Marine Corps receives first CH-53K King Stallion

May 16, 2018 |
Justin Katz

The Marine Corps today received the first CH-53K King Stallion heavy-lift helicopter at Marine Corps Air Station New River, NC, according to a service statement.

The service will begin an assessment on the maintenance, sustainment and overall aviation logistics support of the aircraft in a supportability test plan, the statement said.

Designated System Demonstration Test Article 3, the aircraft will not fly for the government as a regular asset until summer 2019.

CH-53K prime contract Sikorsky expects to deliver the second helicopter in early 2019, according to a company statement.

The King Stallion is the replacement for the CH-53E Super Stallion and is expected to carry three times the load of its predecessor. The first eight aircraft of the program of record -- which will purchase 200 helicopters -- are under contract with some of those aircraft scheduled to be delivered this year. The service will transition to eight active duty squadrons, one training squadron and one reserve squadron to support operational requirements.

"I am very proud of the work accomplished to deliver the most powerful helicopter ever designed into the hands of our Marines," said Lt. Gen. Steven Rudder, deputy commandant for aviation. "And confident in the teamwork and dedication in this program which will carry us to [initial operational capability]."

The Marine Corps expects the CH-53K to reach initial operational capability in December 2019.

Offline NeilChapman

• Interested 3rd party
« Reply #130 on: May 17, 2018, 01:59:43 am »

To bad they couldn't get it there for the airshow the other weekend.

Offline seruriermarshal

« Reply #131 on: June 15, 2018, 04:08:19 pm »
The U.S. Senate Armed Services Committee has included language in the 2019 National Defense Authorization Act asking the U.S. Navy to submit a report on the “feasibility and impact of recapitalizing the MH–53E fleet with a derivative of CH-53K.”

http://alert5.com/2018/06/16/lawmakers-suggest-replacing-mh-53e-with-ch-53k/

Offline TomcatViP

• Hellcat
« Reply #132 on: November 10, 2018, 10:40:05 am »
Nice video of brownout condition landing test
Notice the recirculation flow (perpendicular to ground) 

Offline GWrecks

• Tailless Kitsunemimi
« Reply #133 on: Yesterday at 07:31:01 pm »
Someone told me that the King Stallion's rotor hub alone weighs one ton.

I find that impressive, though I'm not certain it's true.
↑↑↓↓LRLRBA