Flying Sorcerer said:
Anyone have info on the XP-67 Warrior? It was a CAC project from the late fifties.

All I know about XP-67 Warrior,it was a Mach-2 fighter project.

These two look like they could have been lifted straight out of "British Secret Projects: Fighters since 1950". Then again, why not? It was early days, and with little known, convergent solutions would have been the norm. They vaguely suggest straight-wing versions of Avro's jet-plus-rocket fighters, which suggests an interesting answer to the question of what, if anything, might have evolved had the Miles M.52 flown and the resultant data been used as a line of development.

GTX said:
I have the articles you were referring to. The XP-65 was to be powered by a RA24R Avon series engine. Span was 7.3m, length was 14.3m.

Here are some pics from them. First the XP-65:

82a2d01f.jpg

scan0010.jpg

And the related XP-68 - this was also to be built of stainless steel. It was to be powered by a RR Avon RA19R. It also had provision for a search radar. Armament was 2 30mm cannon + 1 missile on each wingtip + another semi-recessed under the fuselage. It was to be Mach 2 capable and was largely seen as a competitor to the F-104

52813092.jpg

Regards,

Greg

Attachments

• australian.jpeg
    australian.jpeg
    26.8 KB · Views: 1,262

Attachments

• CA-23  6.JPG
    CA-23 6.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 125
  • CA-23  5.JPG
    CA-23 5.JPG
    17 KB · Views: 152
  • CA-23  4.JPG
    CA-23 4.JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 635
  • CA-23  3.JPG
    CA-23 3.JPG
    15.4 KB · Views: 689
  • CA-23  2.JPG
    CA-23 2.JPG
    17.4 KB · Views: 696
  • CA-23  1.JPG
    CA-23 1.JPG
    19.5 KB · Views: 1,200
  • CA-23  7.JPG
    CA-23 7.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 155
Unfortunately I can't find a scrap of additional info about the COIN project.

For comparison, in 1974 Thailand paid US$12 million for 20 Fairchild AU-23s with spares. That is US$600,000 per unit, or about AUS$860,00 according to Measuring Worth in 1974.

So AUS$220,000 would have been remarkably good value even without spares...

I wonder if it was this one based upon the Nomad (but GAF rather than CAC):

nomhourl18_zps5217fa9b.jpg

I believe this was another version of the same:

nomhourl23_zpscbbb1c54.jpg

Supplied to me by "Uncle Les" (of modelling fame) who got them from the late Kevin Kerle.

Les has actually attempted to model it too:

littleDSC08505.jpg

Wow,very nice drawings and Model,thank you my dear GTX.

Kiltonge said:
Unfortunately I can't find a scrap of additional info about the COIN project.

I'll add it to my scanning list!

There are a few pages of details in Joe Vella's CAC projects article in AE63. It was basically a high wing, light twin (300 hp pistons) with a narrow fuselage and a modular 'prime mover' cab. Called the LMS [Light Military Transport] but despite the name concieved as a COIN support aircraft. COIN aircraft had a turret with two MGs, pilot and rear facing observer/gunner.

Here is an image of the display model of the CAC LMS. This example is fitted with the 'wide' body passenger/cargo pod. The COIN version would just have a gunner's position and turret in its place. Air Enthusiast 63 has three view line drawings by Joe Vella of some of the different proposals. And many other CAC designs. I recommend anyone interested in CAC secret projects should get a copy:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Air-Enthusiast-63-Israel-Spitfire-Blackburn-Dart-Wellesley-/400728757621?pt=UK_Magazines&hash=item5d4d4b9575

Attachments

• CAC_LMS.png
    CAC_LMS.png
    375.9 KB · Views: 188
Hang on....hold the fort :eek: I missed this CAC LMS [Light Military Transport] design posting ???
The head-on drawing you posted GTX of the COIN design, is this a real design proposal or one of your 'What If' drawing mate?
If it's the real thing, can I obtain more info please??

P.S. Agreed ;)
Amazing find Kiltonge

Regards
Pioneer

From Wikipedia,

I don't understand,there was a project called GAF F2 two seat jet trainer,it became the
CAC CA.31 or not ?.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_Australia

The end of the Vampire programme marked the beginning of an extended period when no complete aircraft were produced, although there was work for the company in various modification (see DHA-3 Drover) and repair and overhaul programmes, including repairing RAAF DHC-4 Caribous damaged on active service during the Vietnam War and major servicing of the RAAF Caribou fleet. One design project pursued during this time was for a military jet trainer for the RAAF. HdH offered its P17 indigenous design derived from the Vampire and was also involved in the Government Aircraft Factory (GAF) F2 project, which would have seen HdH undertaking production work on this aircraft with GAF and the Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation (CAC). The CAC-built version of the Aermacchi MB-326 was selected for production in 1965 and neither project proceeded. However all was not lost as CAC subcontracted to HdH the manufacture of the wings and wingtip fuel tanks, tailplanes,ailerons, flaps, hydraulic system components and landing gear for the Macchi, as well as parts of the Macchi's Viper engines built by CAC.

In Air Pictorial 3/1958و

they spoke about De Havilland (Australia) intended to produce a four-five seat executive
aircraft,I don't know it it was its design (Project) or no.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    22.1 KB · Views: 97
  • 2.png
    2.png
    39.8 KB · Views: 94
Interesting. In the DHA designation system DHA-4 to DHA-9 are missing (DHA or HDH-10 is an RPV), so possibly this executive aircraft could be one of those designations. Maybe this is a direction for a search.

hesham said:
From Wikipedia,

I don't understand,there was a project called GAF F2 two seat jet trainer,it became the
CAC CA.31 or not ?.

The P17 and F2 were proposals for the Vampire advanced trainer replacement. Australian aviation industry were very upset with the RAAF for not providing enough time for them to tender developed proposals for this requirement. Hence the selection of the MB-326 which CAC were lucky to secure license production of. The CA.31 was developed after this decision as a fighter combat trainer to replace CAC Sabres being used in this role. I don't think GAF had anything to do with the CA.31 development.

Jos Heyman said:
Interesting. In the DHA designation system DHA-4 to DHA-9 are missing (DHA or HDH-10 is an RPV), so possibly this executive aircraft could be one of those designations. Maybe this is a direction for a search.

Sharp Notice my dear Jos,

and the HDH-10 was appeared in 1975 and HDH-11 was appeared in 1978,later I will
speak about them.

And thanks you Abraham Gulber.

hesham said:
the HDH-10 was appeared in 1975 and HDH-11 was appeared in 1978,later I will
speak about them.

HDH-10 Enmoth I, HDH-11 Beemoth I. There was also an HDH-12 Promoth in 1980. All mini-RPVs.

Abraham Gubler said:
From this source here is the brochure for the CAC Wallaby downsized to fit within the attachment limits here.

Absolutely splendid... Thank you so much for sharing.

Abraham Gubler said:
From this source here is the brochure for the CAC Wallaby downsized to fit within the attachment limits here.

Amazing find Abraham,

and can I ask you,on the last drawing,they wrote AP35,is that meaning Project P.35 ?.

Attachments

• 35.png
    35.png
    556.6 KB · Views: 689
hesham said:
and can I ask you,on the last drawing,they wrote AP35,is that meaning Project P.35 ?.

AFAIK CAC used Pxyz codes for aircraft project designs until sometime in the early to mid 1950s when they changed to XPxy and APxy.

At a Russian webpage http://aviadejavu.ru/Site/Arts/Art8805.htm you may find pictures that were published in the "Air Enthusiast" issue 3 of 1996 in an article "From Fisherman's Bend. CAC Projects, Proposals and Concepts" by J.Vella.

Piotr

Petrus said:
At a Russian webpage http://aviadejavu.ru/Site/Arts/Art8805.htm you may find pictures that were published in the "Air Enthusiast" issue 3 of 1996 in an article "From Fisherman's Bend. CAC Projects, Proposals and Concepts" by J.Vella.

Piotr

Great find my dear Petrus.

Attachments

• CAC P.63.jpg
    CAC P.63.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 149
  • CAC P.62.jpg
    CAC P.62.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 149
  • CAC P.46.jpg
    CAC P.46.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 144
  • CAC LUTA.jpg
    CAC LUTA.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 138
  • CAC LMS.jpg
    CAC LMS.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 448
  • CAC Jet Trainer.jpg
    CAC Jet Trainer.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 454
  • CAC development Cessna.jpg
    CAC development Cessna.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 445
  • CAC CA-28.jpg
    CAC CA-28.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 463
And;

Attachments

• CAC P.177.jpg
    CAC P.177.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 156
  • CAC P.176.jpg
    CAC P.176.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 133
  • CAC P.175.jpg
    CAC P.175.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 127
  • CAC P.148.jpg
    CAC P.148.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 177
  • CAC P.76 - P.54.jpg
    CAC P.76 - P.54.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 190
  • CAC P.74 - P.73.jpg
    CAC P.74 - P.73.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 153
  • CAC P.68.jpg
    CAC P.68.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 128
  • CAC P.65.jpg
    CAC P.65.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 145
Does anyone know where I could find stats/specs for the CAC LMS? I'm curious about engines, weights, dimensions!

Avimimus said:
Does anyone know where I could find stats/specs for the CAC LMS? I'm curious about engines, weights, dimensions!

LMS? I might be able to assist but need to clarify exactly wha you are referring to.

GTX said:
Avimimus said:

LMS? I might be able to assist but need to clarify exactly wha you are referring to.

The Commonwealth Air Corporation LMS Light Military Transport:
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1479.0;attach=577624;image

Mentioned in reply #53 and #54.

Gentlemen, can I press upon the forum for information (or an educated guess) as to what 'year' the Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation (CAC) CA-31 might have entered production, had it been politically and militarily supported in Australia.

Regards
Pioneer

Attachments

• ca-31c.jpg
    ca-31c.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 887
Pioneer said:
Gentlemen, can I press upon the forum for information (or an educated guess) as to when the Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation (CAC) CA-31 might have entered production, had it been politically and militarily supported in Australia.

Regards
Pioneer

My dear Pioneer,I think yes.

hesham said:
Pioneer said:
Gentlemen, can I press upon the forum for information (or an educated guess) as to when the Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation (CAC) CA-31 might have entered production, had it been politically and militarily supported in Australia.

Regards
Pioneer

My dear Pioneer,I think yes.

Thank you my friend

M.A.D