Register here

Author Topic: CAC Postwar Projects  (Read 50395 times)

Offline Petrus

• CLEARANCE: Secret
Re: CAC Postwar Projects
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2007, 03:48:06 am »
Some more Pics of the CA.23 (including mock-up pics):

(...)

Regards,

Greg

Do you know the CA-23's dimensions and other specs? I presume the engines were to be the Avons. Am I right?

Best regards,
Piotr

Online Archibald

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2007, 12:44:24 pm »
Australian project from the 60's, delta wing, RB-172 engine (another aircraft powered by this prolific family of engines  ;))
Mach 1.5, the aim was to train RAAF pilots to the Mirage IIIO. In the end the role was filled by both Aermacchi MB-326 and twin-seat Mirage III.
I have the air Enthusiast article on Australian designs, but I'm deseperately seeking a 3-view of this project (and more pics of the mockup, I know it has been preserved).

Thanks in advance...

Conservatoire de l'Air et de l'Espace d'Aquitaine
http://www.caea.info/en/plan.php

Profanity: weaker mind trying to speak forcefully

Political correctness: just bury your head in the sand for the sake of appeasement and "peace for our time"
- https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serge_Dassault#Affaires_

Offline PaulMM (Overscan)

• Secret Projects Forum Founder
  • Administrator
  • Paul Martell-Mead
    • Secret Projects
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2007, 12:12:30 pm »
http://www.flightglobal.com/PDFArchive/View/1967/1967%20-%201366.html
http://www.flightglobal.com/PDFArchive/View/1967/1967%20-%200463.html

PROGRESS WITH THE CA-31

ADVANCED-TRAINER PROJECTS make news these days and reflect the importance of offering sufficient performance to simulate as many as possible of the characteristics of the type of aircraft which the pupil pilot will eventually fly. Last week we described the Dornier Do P375 universal trainer; this week we illustrate a mock-up of the Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation Pty CA-31 operational trainer, proposals for which were submitted to the Australian Government last winter.

Forward planning by the Commonwealth Department of Air—as shown by its acquisition of the Mirage IIIO and, soon, the F-111C- indicated the need for a supersonic two-seater as a logical follow-on to the Macchi MB.326H which will be used for the primary training programme (the first Australian-built MB.326s will fly next year). While, therefore, the Department of Air was evaluating a number of aircraft already built and projected, the CAF drew up a specification for the CA-31. This trainer is probably unique in having a delta wing, most existing delta trainers having been developed from existing operational aircraft. The design is clearly aimed at providing delta-wing training for the Mirage, notwithstanding the existence of the conversion trainer - the Mirage IIID - already in service with the RAAF.

The CA-31 has been engineered to produce an effective, versatile, supersonic jet trainer which can be operated effectively in a number of roles. The design emphasises low weight, simplicity and excellent handling, together with minimum maintenance and logistic support requirements. With a 21ft-span double delta wing (similar to that of the Draken) go a swept fin and rudder. Full-span elevons provide control in pitch and roll. Overall length is 37ft. The estimated approach speed is 120kt, while the landing and take-off runs are 2,050ft and 1,200ft respectively.

While the gross weight in the training configuration would be 8,500lb, no decision has apparently been made about the selection of the powerplant; but CAF thinking is now turned towards a single turbofan providing 4,600lb of static thrust or 6,900lb with afterburner. This engine could well be the Rolls-Royce/Turbomeca Adour which has been selected for the Anglo-French Jaguar trainer/strike fighter, but the Bristol-Siddeley Snecma M45 series of engines offers an attractive alternative. The speeds at high level and "on the deck" are understood to be Mach 1.5 and Mach 1 respectively.

The aircraft is, according to CAF, readily adaptable to light ground-attack duties and guns, rockets, bombs and missiles may be carried for advanced training or operational use.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 12:21:35 pm by overscan »
"They can't see our arses for dust."

- Sir Sydney Camm

Offline PaulMM (Overscan)

• Secret Projects Forum Founder
  • Administrator
  • Paul Martell-Mead
    • Secret Projects
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2007, 12:52:23 pm »
Added from other topic, posted by Jemiba
"They can't see our arses for dust."

- Sir Sydney Camm

Offline GTX

• All hail the God of Frustration!!!
    • Beyond The Sprues
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2007, 10:01:00 pm »
Thanks for that - there is also a fairly close approximation of the CA-31 by Peter Hobbins on the whatifmodelers site:

Regards,

Greg

Offline Kadija_Man

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2007, 05:37:27 am »
Obviously one got real value for money in those days...

Offline Justo Miranda

• Secret Projects Master
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2008, 01:31:47 pm »
Australian heavy fighter

Offline GTX

• Beyond The Sprues
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2008, 11:54:52 pm »
I don't know about the P223 designation, but this is the CAC CA-23 - see more (including mock-up pics) here:

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1479.0

Regards,

Greg

Offline Justo Miranda

• Secret Projects Master
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2008, 12:40:41 pm »
I don't know about the P223 designation, but this is the CAC CA-23 - see more (including mock-up pics) here:

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1479.0

Regards,

Greg

My source , AIR ENTHUSIAST Nº 63 ,uses the P223 denomination , as you may see at the lower section of the drawing I seen yesterday.
When using the "Search" option on the CAC P223 dit not get anything.It happens sometimes...

Offline GTX

• Beyond The Sprues
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2008, 10:51:30 am »
No problem.

Regards,

Greg

Offline Petrus

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2008, 12:24:52 pm »
As for the CA-23 there is an interesting webpage on this project. You may find it at http://jet-flight.net/ca23.html.

Piotr

Offline GTX

• Beyond The Sprues
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2010, 12:46:43 am »
Has anyone got a decent line drawing that also includes a side view of the CA-23?

Regards,

Greg

Offline Matej

• Deputy Administrator
  • Multiuniversal creator
    • Hitechweb - bizare aviation
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2010, 05:20:14 am »
Topics merged

Bizarre aviation expert.

Offline Pioneer

• Seek out and close with the enemy
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2010, 05:42:42 am »
Hello gents

Does anyone have or know of any 3-view drawing or side profile drawing of the CA-31 design???

Regards
Pioneer
And remember…remember the glory is not the exhortation of war, but the exhortation of man.
Mans nobility, made transcendent in the fiery crucible of war.
Faithfulness and fortitude.
Gentleness and compassion.
I am honored to be your brother.”

— Lt Col Ralph Honner DSO M

Offline Petrus

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2010, 08:27:49 am »
I'm not sure if you look for something I've attached below. But there are the CA-31's three-view drawings of a kind.

Best regards,
Piotr