LOH, ASH, AHIP, ARH and AAS. US Army Scout Helicopter Programmes.

500 Fan

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
I thought I'd start a topic covering the five scout helicopter programmes initiated to provide the US Army with turbine-powered scout helicopters from 1963 to the present day. The LHX and RAH-66 Commanche programmes should of course be included but they have their own topics so I left them out.

The various programmes are;

LOH - Light Observation Helicopter (1963). Reopened in 1968.
ASH - Armed Scout Helicopter. This was more of a theoretical programme for industry to develop new technology (1970's).
AHIP - Army Helicopter Improvement Programme. An "interim" programme to update the LOH until the LHX arrived (1981).
ARH - Armed Reconnaissance Helicopter. A mid-2000's programme that was cancelled due to high costs.
AAS - Armed Aerial Scout. The latest programme currently ongoing.

The interesting thing is that after running four different programmes, LOH, AHIP, LHX and ARH, the US Army is still flying a scout helicopter based on an airframe selected in the late sixties.

The LOH programme of 1963 saw the entries narrowed down to three, Hiller (YOH-5), Hughes (YOH-6) and Bell (YOH-4). Initially the Hughes entry won and went into production. It gained a legendary reputation in Viet Nam but production problems at Hughes saw the LOH contest re-opened with Bell winning this time with the Bell OH-58A.

The ASH programme was probably generated from the planned purchase of the AH-56A Cheyenne. With the huge increase in capability that the Cheyenne would have brought, the US Army saw the future need for a more advanced scout helicopter that could work with the AAFSS. I don't think any actual ASH prototype was built but Hughes built a few interesting OH-6 helicopters in the mid-seventies that were possibly based on ASH requirements.

AHIP was a fight between the OH-6A and OH-58A for a programme that would see the winner being upgraded with lots of improvements including a mast-mounted sight. The OH-58D proved to be the winner and it is still in use today. Bell have even re-opened the production line to build a number of attrition replacements.

ARH was initiated after the cancellation of the LHX programme. The Bell ARH-70A Arapaho was selected as the winner but as the helicopter neared production, the costs had risen so high that the programme was cancelled.

AAS is the current contest to find a new scout helicopter for the US Army. Boeing, Eurocopter, Bell and Sikorsky are in the mix. Some sources have also mentioned AgustaWestland, probably with a version of the A109. Sikorsky are offering their S-97 Raider but that won't be flying for some time yet and will miss next month's initial AAS flight demonstration. Just to confuse things, this competition was initially referred to as the "Armed Scout Helicopter".

There are plenty of photos and details available of the helicopters that went into production arising out of these contests in the past but less is known about the prototype helicopters flown in each programme or the helicopters that didn't win or even the proposals that were made by various companies that only ever made it into model or mock-up form. Plenty of export derivatives were also made of the various proposals that did fly, so if anyone has anything interesting to add, documents, drawings, photos or links, please add them here. The scout helicopter is often overshadowed by its big brother, the Attack Helicopter, so hopefully this thread will gather together a large pool of information on the the development of the US Army's turbine-powered scout helicopters from the early sixties to the present day.

500 Fan.

Here is a series of pictures related to the LOH program:

1°) The Bell D-250 full-scale mockup
2°) An item on the first flight of the Bell Model 206 (YOH-4A)
3°) The YOH-4A and YOH-5A contenders together
4°) The Hiller Model 1100 full-scale mockup
5°) An item on the first flight of the Fairchild-Hiller FH-1000 (YOH-5A)
6°) The announcement of the flyoff between the three contenders
7°) An inflight photo of the first Hughes 369A in flight (YOH-6)
8°) An item on the first flight of the Hughes 369A (YOH-6A)

Some important notes:
  • The Bell contender was only designated as plain Model 206. It lost the competition and was quite different from the later Model 206A (Jet Ranger) which became the H-57/H-58.
  • At the time of the selection, the designations were YHO-4, YHO-5 and YHO-6 in the old Army HO- (Helicopter Observation) list. By the time the prototypes flew, they were redesignated as YOH-4A, YOH-5A and YOH-6A in the new tri-service H- (Helicopter) list, with the "O" prefix added for observation.
  • At that stage, none of the contenders had received any popular name.
  • Please note the very different tail in the early stages of the OH-6A.

Attachments

• Bell D-250.jpg
    Bell D-250.jpg
    750.9 KB · Views: 1,441
  • Hughes LOH undergoes flight test (July 1963).jpg
    Hughes LOH undergoes flight test (July 1963).jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 145
  • first YOH-6A (62-4212) with temporary civil registration.jpg
    first YOH-6A (62-4212) with temporary civil registration.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 145
  • HO-6 (Jan 1962).gif
    HO-6 (Jan 1962).gif
    157.8 KB · Views: 128
  • First flight of Hiller OH-5A (Mar 1963).jpg
    First flight of Hiller OH-5A (Mar 1963).jpg
    399.7 KB · Views: 1,165
  • mockup.jpg
    mockup.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 1,197
  • YOH-4001.jpg
    YOH-4001.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 1,240
  • OH-4 prototype airborne (Feb 1962).jpg
    OH-4 prototype airborne (Feb 1962).jpg
    462.9 KB · Views: 1,328
Here are some photos of the Bell YOH-4, along with some of the other entrants in the LOH competition. These photos are from the US Army Aviation Museum collection and are the result of extensive research carried out by Ray Wilhite aka "Rotorwash".

LOH1000hourcompletionJune131964-2.jpg

LOH1000hourcompletionJune131964.jpg

TaskForceWhirlwindgroupYOH45and6HunterLeggettMay181964-1.jpg

3713.jpg

YOH-4XM8Jul241964-2close.jpg

YOH-4XM8Jul241964close.jpg

YOH-4XM8Jul241964-3close.jpg

YOH-4004.jpg

YOH-4004close.jpg

YOH-4005.jpg

YOH-4005close.jpg

The YOH-4 was eliminated in the first fly-off between the three entrants in the first LOH contest. Eventually it would be transformed into the OH-58A and would do quite well.

500 Fan.

Magnificent pictures! Once again, rotorwash delivers... Thanks for sharing these, 500 Fan!

Hope I have this in the right place. A couple of drawings of the Hiller RH-1100M Hornet.

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    824.5 KB · Views: 187
  • scan0003.jpg
    scan0003.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 202
Photos of Bell YOH-4

Source:
http://kevsaviationpics.blogspot.com/2012/03/bell-oh-4.html
http://1000aircraftphotos.com/Contributions/HatcherDavid/5551.htm
http://1000aircraftphotos.com/Contributions/HatcherDavid/5552.htm
http://1000aircraftphotos.com/Contributions/HatcherDavid/5502.htm

Attachments

• 5502L-1.jpg
    5502L-1.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 89
  • 5552L.jpg
    5552L.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 5551L.jpg
    5551L.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 105
  • Bell YOH-4A 62-4206 1.jpg
    Bell YOH-4A 62-4206 1.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 128
Wikipedia claims that this helicopter is the Bell OH-58X

The OH-58X was a modification of the fourth development OH-58D (s/n 69-16322) with partial stealth features and a chin-mounted McDonnell-Douglas Electronics Systems turret as a night piloting system; including a Kodak FLIR system with a 30-degree field of view. Avionics systems were consolidated and moved to the nose, making room for a passenger seat in the rear. No aircraft were produced.

OH-58X Kiowa. Modified OH-58D prototype. Note nose, pitch link cover and engine cowl area

Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_OH-58_Kiowa
http://1000aircraftphotos.com/Contributions/HatcherDavid/5950.htm

Attachments

• OH-58X.jpg
    OH-58X.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 132
  • 5950L-1.jpg
    5950L-1.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 135
Triton said:
Wikipedia claims that this helicopter is the Bell OH-58X

The OH-58X was a modification of the fourth development OH-58D (s/n 69-16322) with partial stealth features and a chin-mounted McDonnell-Douglas Electronics Systems turret as a night piloting system; including a Kodak FLIR system with a 30-degree field of view. Avionics systems were consolidated and moved to the nose, making room for a passenger seat in the rear. No aircraft were produced.

OH-58X Kiowa. Modified OH-58D prototype. Note nose, pitch link cover and engine cowl area

Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_OH-58_Kiowa
http://1000aircraftphotos.com/Contributions/HatcherDavid/5950.htm
Thank you Triton for the second OH-58X pic.. Not too many pics on the Internet..

I also had these in my HDD as OH-58X (unfortunately, I can't recall where I got them from).

Attachments

• OH-58X_02.jpg
    OH-58X_02.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 154
  • OH-58X_03.JPG
    OH-58X_03.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 171
CostasTT said:
I also had these in my HDD as OH-58X (unfortunately, I can't recall where I got them from).

OH-58X_02 shows the aircraft with the actual (fielded) low observable mods. So that may not be the same OH-58X, but another aircraft with the LO modifications. I am not 100% certain the rotor head fairings were part of the fielded kit though.

CostasTT said:

familiar w/ these but thank you CostasTT...

quellish said:
CostasTT said:

OH-58X_02 shows the aircraft with the actual (fielded) low observable mods. So that may not be the same OH-58X, but another aircraft with the LO modifications. I am not 100% certain the rotor head fairings were part of the fielded kit though.
The rotor head fairings were scrapped early in the considerations because they were a pain in the posterior for maintainers, for little gain. There were practical safety concerns as well with combat damaged components flying into the rotor system with predictable results.

yasotay said:
The rotor head fairings were scrapped early in the considerations because they were a pain in the posterior for maintainers, for little gain. There were practical safety concerns as well with combat damaged components flying into the rotor system with predictable results.

Are you talking about OH-58X/Kiowa Warrior or about the OH-58 LO kit (circa 1990-1991)?

quellish said:
yasotay said:

Are you talking about OH-58X/Kiowa Warrior or about the OH-58 LO kit (circa 1990-1991)?
I was speaking of the LO kit, but I think the Army made the same determination had it gone forward with the OH-58X effort.

Here is a small video from Hughes Helicopters from around 1974. It features the AAS/ASH OH-6 conversion (01:51) that Hughes proposed in the 1970's as a scout for the AH-56 Cheyenne/ AH-64 Apache programmes as one was cancelled and the other was started. It also has footage of The Quiet One and an OH-6A fitted with a minigun and a four-shot rocket pod. Could that have been the OH-6B that Hughes proposed in the late sixties as an upgrade for the OH-6A?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0NBhbrKvCI

Does anyone have any photos or drawings of the AAS/ASH Hughes OH-6?

500 Fan.

Does anybody know where I can find the technical details in the U.S. Army's "Request for Proposal" for the renewed LOH competition from 1967/1968 that was ultimately won by the Bell OH-58A? Apparently Hughes offered a version of their OH-6A that included a few improvements. I am trying to figure out what those upgrades might have been. Thanks.

500 Fan.

500 Fan said:
Does anybody know where I can find the technical details in the U.S. Army's "Request for Proposal" for the renewed LOH competition from 1967/1968 that was ultimately one by the Bell OH-58A? Apparently Hughes offered a version of their OH-6A that included a few improvements. I am trying to figure out what those upgrades might have been. Thanks.

500 Fan.

The closest I've been able to come so far is this citation over on DTIC for a technical report [Rept. no. 5, 22 Apr-21 Jul 67] on the Light Observation Helicopter Avionics Package (LOHAP). You will have to apply directly for a copy of the report itself, I'm afraid.

EDIT: This may also prove useful, but again you will have to apply directly for the report.

500 Fan said:
Could that have been the OH-6B that Hughes proposed in the late sixties as an upgrade for the OH-6A?
I would very much like to see the B. And more of the AAS/ASH variant, too.

ZacYates said:
500 Fan said:
Could that have been the OH-6B that Hughes proposed in the late sixties as an upgrade for the OH-6A?
I would very much like to see the B. And more of the AAS/ASH variant, too.

I would too. I am currently researching the period between 1967 and 1978 when the US Army initiated a number of different programmes to find a new scout helicopter. So far, I have come across programmes entitled "New Initiatives Aerial Scout", "Advanced Aerial Scout", Advanced Scout Helicopter" and another interim scout helicopter programme that preceded the Army Helicopter Improvement Program (AHIP). Because most of these programmes were abandoned, very little info is now available on them and the technical specifications of the proposed helicopters. I am not sure what new versions of the OH-58 that Bell came up with during the 70's but there are a few images out there of what appears to be their NIAS proposal. Hughes had the OH-6C, OH-6C+ (both NIAS) and the OH-6D "Interim ASH" (this was only ever a proposal based on the 500D but probably never even resulted in any initial drawings being made up).

500 Fan.,

The MD540A (previously known as the MD540F) was demonstrated to the Army as part of their AAS programme but ultimately this selection process never went ahead. The MD540A has now officially been cancelled, although this has been known about for some time. Presumably, the MD6XX will become MDHI's main focus when it comes to a modern H-6-based light attack/armed scout helicopter.

http://www.janes.com/article/72806/mdhi-drops-development-of-md-540a-light-attack-helo

The prototype, N540HH, has been returned to MD530FF-configuration and is, I believe, still in use with MDHI as a test-ship. It test flew the new HTC main rotor blade that is destined for use on the MD6XX.

500 Fan.

Ad for Hughes LOH.

Attachments

• Hughes LOH.png
    Hughes LOH.png
    1,013.6 KB · Views: 231
Not sure what that is under the belly, but it does not seem a M230 to me. Besides, the 500 could not handle the recoil for long, nor could it carry much in the way of ammo. With the extra gear and ammo the aircraft would likely be near MGTOW, thus not the nimble bee we all think of a 500 acting as in a combat configuration.
@500 Fan Came across this photo of a Defender with mast-mounted sight and seemingly an M230 chain gun. Any relation to ASH or AHIP, or just for export orders?

292519.jpg

Not sure what that is under the belly, but it does not seem a M230 to me. Besides, the 500 could not handle the recoil for long, nor could it carry much in the way of ammo. With the extra gear and ammo the aircraft would likely be near MGTOW, thus not the nimble bee we all think of a 500 acting as in a combat configuration.
@500 Fan Came across this photo of a Defender with mast-mounted sight and seemingly an M230 chain gun. Any relation to ASH or AHIP, or just for export orders?

292519.jpg

Here's another angle on it. Looks like an M230 to me. (Source: https://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photo/000292520.html)

292520.jpg

292519.jpg

Here's another angle on it. Looks like an M230 to me. (Source: https://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photo/000292520.html)

292520.jpg
I will agree that it is a cannon, however I am thinking it might be a smaller caliber (20mm?). Given how much a M-230 shakes a heavy AH-64, I can't imagine it being good for a light platform like the 500. I suspect there would have to be reinforcement of the bottom and front of the aircraft for that concussive effect of the weapon. I would be interested in finding out if anyone has ever actually fired an M-230 on something light like a 500. The OH-58D is more robust and to my knowledge the largest gun ever fit on that platform was a GAU-19, and they elected to go with a different .50 after that.

Hughes developed a wide range of chainguns, including 20, 25, and 30mm variants. The Bushmaster, for example, was also a Hughes product.
I would guess that a 500 would mount the 20mm, and even that seems... ambitious. Particularly with all the other goodies bolted on. Probably got a fair amount of attention at air shows and trade shows, though.

292519.jpg

292520.jpg
I will agree that it is a cannon, however I am thinking it might be a smaller caliber (20mm?). Given how much a M-230 shakes a heavy AH-64, I can't imagine it being good for a light platform like the 500. I suspect there would have to be reinforcement of the bottom and front of the aircraft for that concussive effect of the weapon. I would be interested in finding out if anyone has ever actually fired an M-230 on something light like a 500. The OH-58D is more robust and to my knowledge the largest gun ever fit on that platform was a GAU-19, and they elected to go with a different .50 after that.

I just realized that what I was seeing as an M230 muzzle brake was actually the step on the front skid strut. On further examination, I suspect it's a 7.62mm Chain Gun.

1673489463307.png

At minimum, I'd put my money on a 12.7mm MG.

Regards
Pioneer

From Army Aviation 1979/10,

please notice the picture # 28.

Attachments

• 27.png
    27.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 21
  • 26.png
    26.png
    2 MB · Views: 21
  • 25.png
    25.png
    2 MB · Views: 23
  • 24.png
    24.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 25
  • 23.png
    23.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 24
  • 22.png
    22.png
    2 MB · Views: 22
  • 21.png
    21.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 26
  • 20.png
    20.png
    2 MB · Views: 32
  • 28.png
    28.png
    988.8 KB · Views: 30
The Bell 222 was never a serious contender for the Scout role.