Register here

Author Topic: LOH, ASH, AHIP, ARH and AAS. US Army Scout Helicopter Programmes.  (Read 14213 times)

Offline yasotay

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: LOH, ASH, AHIP, ARH and AAS. US Army Scout Helicopter Programmes.
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2013, 06:27:47 am »
The rotor head fairings were scrapped early in the considerations because they were a pain in the posterior for maintainers, for little gain.  There were practical safety concerns as well with combat damaged components flying into the rotor system with predictable results.

Are you talking about OH-58X/Kiowa Warrior or about the OH-58 LO kit (circa 1990-1991)?
I was speaking of the LO kit, but I think the Army made the same determination had it gone forward with the OH-58X effort.

Offline 500 Fan

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2014, 07:45:00 am »
Here is a small video from Hughes Helicopters from around 1974. It features the AAS/ASH OH-6 conversion (01:51) that Hughes proposed in the 1970's as a scout for the AH-56 Cheyenne/ AH-64 Apache programmes as one was cancelled and the other was started. It also has footage of The Quiet One and an OH-6A fitted with a minigun and a four-shot rocket pod. Could that have been the OH-6B that Hughes proposed in the late sixties as an upgrade for the OH-6A?

Does anyone have any photos or drawings of the AAS/ASH Hughes OH-6?

500 Fan.

Offline 500 Fan

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2017, 10:08:21 am »
Does anybody know where I can find the technical details in the U.S. Army's "Request for Proposal" for the renewed LOH competition from 1967/1968 that was ultimately won by the Bell OH-58A? Apparently Hughes offered a version of their OH-6A that included a few improvements. I am trying to figure out what those upgrades might have been. Thanks.

500 Fan.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 06:02:14 am by 500 Fan »

Offline Grey Havoc

• The path not taken.
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2017, 02:01:17 am »
Does anybody know where I can find the technical details in the U.S. Army's "Request for Proposal" for the renewed LOH competition from 1967/1968 that was ultimately one by the Bell OH-58A? Apparently Hughes offered a version of their OH-6A that included a few improvements. I am trying to figure out what those upgrades might have been. Thanks.

500 Fan.

The closest I've been able to come so far is this citation over on DTIC for a technical report [Rept. no. 5, 22 Apr-21 Jul 67] on the Light Observation Helicopter Avionics Package (LOHAP). You will have to apply directly for a copy of the report itself, I'm afraid.

EDIT: This may also prove useful, but again you will have to apply directly for the report. 
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 02:08:59 am by Grey Havoc »
The sole imperative of a government, once instituted, is to survive.

Offline Grey Havoc

• The path not taken.
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2017, 02:21:26 am »
This Engineering Flight Test report of the Light Observation Helicopter (LOH) OH-6A Armed (XM-27E1) from December 1967 is directly available: http://www.dtic.mil/get-tr-doc/pdf?AD=ADA951595
The sole imperative of a government, once instituted, is to survive.

Offline ZacYates

• LHX SuperTeam fanboy
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2017, 09:24:20 pm »
Could that have been the OH-6B that Hughes proposed in the late sixties as an upgrade for the OH-6A?
I would very much like to see the B. And more of the AAS/ASH variant, too.

Offline 500 Fan

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2017, 05:28:56 am »
Could that have been the OH-6B that Hughes proposed in the late sixties as an upgrade for the OH-6A?
I would very much like to see the B. And more of the AAS/ASH variant, too.

I would too. I am currently researching the period between 1967 and 1978 when the US Army initiated a number of different programmes to find a new scout helicopter. So far, I have come across programmes entitled "New Initiatives Aerial Scout", "Advanced Aerial Scout", Advanced Scout Helicopter" and another interim scout helicopter programme that preceded the Army Helicopter Improvement Program (AHIP). Because most of these programmes were abandoned, very little info is now available on them and the technical specifications of the proposed helicopters. I am not sure what new versions of the OH-58 that Bell came up with during the 70's but there are a few images out there of what appears to be their NIAS proposal. Hughes had the OH-6C, OH-6C+ (both NIAS) and the OH-6D "Interim ASH" (this was only ever a proposal based on the 500D but probably never even resulted in any initial drawings being made up). 

500 Fan.,

Offline 500 Fan

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2017, 05:31:39 am »
The MD540A (previously known as the MD540F) was demonstrated to the Army as part of their AAS programme but ultimately this selection process never went ahead. The MD540A has now officially been cancelled, although this has been known about for some time. Presumably, the MD6XX will become MDHI's main focus when it comes to a modern H-6-based light attack/armed scout helicopter.

http://www.janes.com/article/72806/mdhi-drops-development-of-md-540a-light-attack-helo

The prototype, N540HH, has been returned to MD530FF-configuration and is, I believe, still in use with MDHI as a test-ship. It test flew the new HTC main rotor blade that is destined for use on the MD6XX.

500 Fan.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 08:06:14 am by 500 Fan »

Offline hesham

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2017, 05:57:43 am »
Nice Info,thanks.

Offline RAP

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2018, 08:46:28 am »
Ad for Hughes LOH.