Register here

Author Topic: Looking for Authors!  (Read 14847 times)

Offline Jayslater

• CLEARANCE: Restricted
Looking for Authors!
« on: March 06, 2012, 03:03:16 am »
Greetings,
I hope all is well and some may know of me: I have commissioned the likes of Ed Dyer, Tim McLelland, Tony Buttler and many more. I previously commissioned books at Ian Allan Publishing and The History Press, the latter being a waste of time and effort on my part. That said, I have been asked to join Fonthill Media to be launched this spring as their publisher. The first books are the definitive titles on the P-51 Mustang and Westland Whirlwind fighters, for example. I am in talks with Ed Dyer on other new books, but please, if you do have an idea for a book, by all means drop me a line so we can discuss it further:
j.slater (at) fonthillmedia.com and/or jayslater (at) uk2.net
With very best wishes,
Jay Slater
Ed.

Offline lucamax

• CLEARANCE: Secret
    • Res Aeronautica
Re: Looking for Authors!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 11:53:27 am »
Hi, in my opinion it should be nice to pubblish a book-encyclopedia about bombers. I really appreciate the book "The Complete Book of Fighters" wrote by William Green and Gordon Swanborough and I note the absence of a similar volume about bombers... I think that an hypothetical book "The Complete Book of Bombers" should be great.

Offline Justo Miranda

• Secret Projects Master
  • CLEARANCE: Top Secret
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 12:27:37 pm »
Unfortunately the bombers do not sell well. William Green never completed his series "War Planes of the Second World War". The publication stopped on Volume Ten (German Bombers).
Same thing happened to me with Reichdreams. "Arado Jet Bombers" Dossier no. 17 sold five times less that no 16 "Arado Jet Fighters"

PECUNIA NON OLET
(Vespasian, AD 69 to AD 79)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 12:29:38 pm by Justo Miranda »

Offline lucamax

• Res Aeronautica
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 02:08:57 pm »
It's a shame... :'( :'( :'(

Offline Jayslater

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 02:45:17 pm »
Have been looking for the definitive book on the Ju 88, however, after the successful He 177 I worked on for IAP some years back.

Offline foiling

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 06:18:37 am »
I would certainly be very interested in a good book on bombers, especially if it included some of the more interesting or advanced proposals & projects, too.

Offline Antonio

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 12:42:10 am »
I would certainly be very interested in a good book on bombers, especially if it included some of the more interesting or advanced proposals & projects, too.

me too

Offline cluttonfred

• Eric Clutton's classic homebuilt FRED and more!
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 12:55:48 am »
While I am not in a position to write it, I would love to see a definitive book on tandem wing designs, from early days to the French innovators like Peyret, Mignet, Delanne and Payen to the English experiments at Westland and Miles right on through to the Rutan designs like the Quickie.
Matthew Long, Editor
cluttonfred.info
A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

Offline Skyblazer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 01:09:08 am »
While I am not in a position to write it, I would love to see a definitive book on tandem wing designs, from early days to the French innovators like Peyret, Mignet, Delanne and Payen to the English experiments at Westland and Miles right on through to the Rutan designs like the Quickie.

Very interesting idea! I'm for books with a little more flavor and originality, myself.

Honestly, I still wonder how anybody can claim to come up with the "definitive book" on subjects like the Mustang, the Spitfire, the Fortress or the Thunderbolt, when hundreds of books, articles and monographies have been published... and especially what else is to be expected of new books on these subjects...

There are so many nooks and crannies in aviation history that have long been overlooked and that DO deserve a definitive book: My fondest dream is to one day publish one on Curtiss flying boats, but there are many other topics that would greatly enrich knowledge on aviation if anybody took to the task of properly researching for them.

Deciding that "fighters sell" and "bombers don't" and turning this into an editorial line is typical of today's rational thinking: put out stuff that sells, period. I'm glad that early publishers such as Profile Publications (Aircraft in Profile) or Monogram (Close Up) did not think in those terms and went ahead publishing cheap yet very informative booklets on lesser known types. And I'm glad that there are still a few publishers to do that (the Mushroom Model series come to mind, Albatros's Windsock Files, or Ginter's Navy and Air Force Fighters series too).

Big expensive so-called definitive books can very well coexist with cheaper, profile-size books on less popular but historically significant subjects. I think a publisher ought to aim at publishing a bit of both.

Offline Jayslater

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 01:24:50 am »
Morning!
'...and especially what else is to be expected of new books on these subjects...'
I would suggest the format, unpublished images, photos, human stories, etc. And we are also publishing cheaper, profile-size books on lesser known aircraft.

Offline Skyblazer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 01:33:28 am »
Morning!
'...and especially what else is to be expected of new books on these subjects...'
I would suggest the format, unpublished images, photos, human stories, etc. And we are also publishing cheaper, profile-size books on lesser known aircraft.

I hope you understand I didn't mean this remark in a derogatory way. I was just expressing the idea that each new book on those subjects claims to be the ultimate but there's still tons that could still be told or shown (as you rightly said), so it can't really be as definitive as they claim...

But at the end of the day, I guess there are two different types of readers: those like me who are interested in the inception of the aircraft, either civilian or military, who designed them, how they were thought out, developed, test-flown etc.; and those who are more into the operational career and human experience side of things, which is mostly related to war stories.

Offline Jayslater

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 02:00:23 am »
Of course not, and I value your opinion. It all helps at the end of the day for the publisher to understand concerns and wants of the market. But I am all ears if anyone should have ideas for books. I have received a number of e-mails from this site and hope to move forwards with gusto.
With very best wishes,
Jay

Offline Steve Pace

• Aviation History Writer
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 07:55:43 am »
As the author of the upcoming Mustang book for Fonthill Media I must clarify that it will not be the definitive work on the subject but rather a comprehensive work on the subject loaded with illustrations, tables, appendices and first person accounts. - Steve Pace
When you know you're right, go ahead.

Offline bercr

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 09:46:58 am »
Well, the kind of books I want to buy :

American Secret Pusher Fighters of World War II
XP-54, XP-55 and XP-66
by Gerald H. Balzer

If I should keep only 1 book with me, I will keep this one : a great book with outstanding text and photos (not thumbnails...).

I would like to find this kind of books on :

XB-42 and XB/YB-43

USAF's Penetration Fighters  XF-88, XF-90 and YF-93

C-74 Globemaster

Northrop XP-61E / F-15 Reporter

XB-46, XB-47, XB-48...

F3 Demon

F4 Phantom prototypes

and so on...

« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 09:48:46 am by bercr »

Offline Justo Miranda

• Secret Projects Master
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 10:25:05 am »
Looking for authors here is like leaving your sister sitting in a cherry red Corvette parked in front of a Marines base.... :D