Blohm und Voss P.185

Has anyone ever seen original documents (drawings or technical descriptions by Blohm & Voss)? Although it has some design elements which could be attributed to Dr. Richard Vogt, I have doubts regarding the authenticity ...

Technical drawing though not very good

Attachments

• P185.jpg
    P185.jpg
    679.1 KB · Views: 328
  • Scan.jpg
    Scan.jpg
    820.3 KB · Views: 310
Finished profiles....late I know..... :-[

Attachments

• BV185A.jpg
    BV185A.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 887
  • BV185B.jpg
    BV185B.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 854
  • BV185C.jpg
    BV185C.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 799
  • 10V9BV.jpg
    10V9BV.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 730
  • 11V9BV.jpg
    11V9BV.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 676
  • 12V9BV.jpg
    12V9BV.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 165
Wurger said:
Great!!! Now, bound for the Bv P.180 B)?

Yes Wurger...woking on it. ;D

But will be away over Christmas so if not finished I'll pick it up on my return...

Flitzer's aircraft profile was posted today in a Facebook-Group... as usual the origin of the prifile was not shown/cut away (at least the posted did not pretend it to be its onw work).

Anyhow - it made me aware of this thread in this forum (where else would I find it...)

Two questions, if I am allowed:

A) Above original (?) drawings appear to not show a fully glazed cockpit, only the forward section, less than half seems to be glazed to me

B) Normally if an aircraft has a "gull wing", then the reason is to keep the legs of the undercarriage short whilst still having enough ground clearance for the propeller (examples are the Ju 87 and the "Corsair") - here the "gull wing" brings the propeller even closer to the ground... whould could be seen as a reason to design this aircraft with a "gull wing"?

I once read about the Corsair - forgot where - that the gull wing attached at right angles to the fuselage, causing cleaner airflow around the wing root than would have been the case with a low mounted straight wing.

To allow the tail gunner access - past the horizontal tail spar - the horizontal tail spar needs to be mounted on the top or bottom of the fuselage. Glider pilots learned - before WW2 - that low-mounted tails were more suseptical to damage when landing on rough fields.

As for the inverted gull-wing ..... they probably wanted to improve the pilot’s lateral vision over the Beaufighter or deHavilland Mosquito.

As for the Vought F4U Corsair’s inverted gull-wing .... it was a horrid series of compromises. First, they wanted undercarriage short enough to retract aft and fit between the wing spars. Then they added a huge engine and propeller, etc.
As for streamlining ..... Grumman did quite well without complicated dihedral or wing root fillets.

Kuno said:
A) Above original (?) drawings appear to not show a fully glazed cockpit, only the forward section, less than half seems to be glazed to me

Slightly cleaner view of the cockpit from the original drawing.

Attachments

• P185 cockpit.jpg
    P185 cockpit.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 122
Thanks, Nesdeskan. Your scan confirms to me what I wrote above - only the forward section of the cockpit was tought to be glazed.

Thanks for the fresh information.
Still battling to get my old iMac fixed. If I can, I will surely modify the profiles.
My new iMac will not accept all my profile making software.

However I've discovered some internet threads that suggest my old iMac may be fixable.
Everything crossed.

P

Flitzer said:
Thanks for the fresh information.
Still battling to get my old iMac fixed. If I can, I will surely modify the profiles.
My new iMac will not accept all my profile making software.

However I've discovered some internet threads that suggest my old iMac may be fixable.
Everything crossed.

P

Crossed everything! :)