Lockheed Martin F-16 Fighting Falcon Developments

I've always wondered if; had the official name for the F-16 been simply "Falcon", it would have been accepted and referred to as such by the fighter pilot community.
After all, they had no problem with "Eagle"
Was the "Fighting" suffix added to the name of the aircraft as a way to avoid confusion with the Hughes AIM-4 Falcon series of air-to-air missiles? The -4F/-4G variants of that AAM were still in the ANG inventory during the F-16 procurement;they remained in service with the Guard until 1988 when the last F-106s were retired?

V8Interceptor said:
I've always wondered if; had the official name for the F-16 been simply "Falcon", it would have been accepted and referred to as such by the fighter pilot community.
Was the "Fighting" suffix added to the name of the aircraft as a way to avoid confusion with the Hughes AIM-4 Falcon series of air-to-air missiles? The -4F/-4G variants of that AAM were still in the ANG inventory during the F-16 procurement;they remained in service with the Guard until 1988 when the last F-106s were retired?
Sounds logical to me. -SP

TomS said:
Probably -- my memory is vague. At the time, all I'd seen was X-Wings and TIE fighters (and Vipers).

Was January of '79 and overcast with a bit of rain as I recall.

V8Interceptor said:

I'd heard they couldn't use "Falcon" because Dassault was already using it for a business jet.

FighterJock said:
Steve Pace said:
As I understand it the V suffice simply stands for the name Viper which USAF pilots prefer their '16s to be called. The official name Fighting Falcon never really turned '16 drivers on. -SP

So why did the USAF not call the F-16 the Viper instead of the Fighting Falcon? A highly strange situation if you ask me.

Highly strange? Maybe not. Notice they didn't they rename the A-10 as the Warthog although NO ONE calls it a Thunderbolt II.

There have always been official names and pilot-given names for operational combat types. That doesn't mean the latter should necessarily make it into the official documents. The only case I'm aware of when it actually happened was the F-111, whose later variants received the name Aardvark, a nickname which had been in use for a while with the pilots.

Then there's the Bone for B-1 (B-one), Boner for B-1R (B-one Regional) bomber - on and on and on...

Officially, the F-111 was named Aardvark only at its retirement ceremony; before then there was no official name for the type. Oddly enough, the EF-111 was officially the Raven even while the base model was unnamed.

marauder2048 said:
LowObservable said:
Wouldn't be too sure about that. The F-16 aftermarket is much bigger than any other, and the Korea experience showed how difficult it is to break in.

Willful misrepresentation (and that's a kind way of putting it) makes it difficult to break into just about any market.

More on that willful misrepresentation (I did use that term advisedly)

BAE Spoiled $1.7B Radar Deal With Korea, Suit Says

By Adam Sege
Law360, Wilmington (February 3, 2016, 6:06 PM ET) -- Defense giant Raytheon sued BAE and two subsidiaries in Delaware Chancery Court on Tuesday over the soured $1.7 billion sale of F-16 aircraft radar upgrades to South Korea, saying BAE hid the fact the deal was in trouble and caused its ultimate demise.

While Raytheon Co. had met all its obligations as a subcontractor, prime contractor BAE Systems Holdings Inc. concealed mounting problems with the project and ultimately caused price increases that led to the deal's failure and the subcontractor's losses on the project, the complaint alleges.

“[R]elying on BAE-T’s representations, Raytheon invested millions of its own dollars in the upgrade program,” the suit states. “BAE-T, however, failed to meet its own obligations, both to the U.S. government and to South Korea, and these repeated failures ultimately caused Korea to cancel the purchase.”

The dispute relates to a planned, $1.7 billion sale in which Raytheon and BAE were to provide the South Korean government with radar upgrades for F-16 fighter jets, according to the complaint. After reaching an agreement with the Korean government, the U.S. government designated BAE as the prime contractor on the upgrades, with Raytheon listed as a subcontractor, the suit says.

Raytheon says it assigned 70 employees to the project and abided by all its obligations.

But the sale ultimately fell apart, with the Korean government ending its contract with the U.S., the U.S. government nixing its contract with BAE, and BAE terminating its subcontract with Raytheon.

Raytheon claims that cost increases caused by BAE contributed to the breakdown, and that BAE contributed to Raytheon’s losses by hiding warning signs about the project.

“Despite knowing the upgrade program was in serious trouble, BAE-T continued to tell Raytheon negotiations were on
track and that Raytheon should continue to invest its own funds,” Raytheon says.

The subcontractor’s claims against BAE and its subsidiaries include breach of contract, unjust enrichment, and breach of implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing.

In addition to its immediate losses associated with the botched deal, Raytheon says, the sale’s failure has impacted the subcontractor's future business by robbing it of an opportunity to demonstrate its capability in the F-16 radar market.

“For both companies, winning these contracts represented a beachhead into the large and lucrative F-16 upgrade marketplace, theretofore dominated by Lockheed Martin, the F-16’s original manufacturer, and by Northrop Grumman,
supplier of the F-16’s original radar system,” the suit states.

In a company statement emailed to Law360, BAE said it was "disappointed" to learn its former partner on the project had filed suit.

"As we have said previously, BAE Systems does not believe the company owes the Republic of Korea any monies related to Korea’s decision to cancel the KF-16 upgrade program," BAE continued. "By extension, we do not believe BAE Systems owes Raytheon any additional monies outside of the normal contractual termination settlement process. We are currently reviewing Raytheon’s complaint and will respond in due course through the appropriate legal processes.”

An attorney for Raytheon declined to elaborate on the company’s complaint.

Raytheon is represented by Jack B. Jacobs, Mark D. Hopson, Gordon D. Todd, Maureen B. Soles and Morgan Branch of Sidley Austin LLP.

Counsel information for BAE was not immediately available.

The case is Raytheon Co. v. BAE Systems Holdings Inc. et al., case number 11957, in the Court of Chancery of the State of Delaware.

The company has plans to make structural improvements to the F-16s that remain in military service even after production stops. The company is now pushing what it calls the F-16V, a new configuration that includes some of the technology developed for its successor, the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter.

The upgrades include a new mission computer and Northrop Grumman-made radar, which is common with the same system used on the F-35. That allows the plane to track more targets in the air and on the ground.

The configuration is part of the upgrade the U.S. is offering Taiwan’s existing fleet in lieu of selling new F-16s. Lockheed is also pitching the upgrades to Indonesia. Howard said the company is in discussions “with multiple countries for upgrades of their existing F-16s.”

dan_inbox said:
sferrin said:
Why would the F-15A be called Rhodan?

I suppose that it is a reference to to scifi books hero Perry Rhodan, but I don't get it.

That's a typo. It should be Rodan.

latest

DOD Contracts for Nov. 18, 2016

Lockheed Martin Aeronautics Co., Fort Worth, Texas, has been awarded a $1,204,200,000 fixed-price-incentive-fee contract to upgrade F-16 aircraft for the Republic of Korea. Work will be performed at Fort Worth, Texas, and is expected to be complete by Nov. 15, 2025. This contract is 100 percent foreign military sales to the Republic of Korea. This award is the result of a sole-source acquisition. Air Force Life Cycle Management Center, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio, is the contracting activity (FA8615-l 7-C-6045).

Re: Lockheed Martin’s Fighting Falcon Evolves With New F-16V

1st, I think we need to merge the "F-16V Takes Flight' topic into this one.

2nd. First time I see an F-16 with a triple AMRAAM launcher and I am impressed although its probably just a rendering and nothing like this exist yet.
Via
https://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/lockheed-martins-new-f-16-block-70-fighting-falcon-has-f-22-26419

Update: also found this official tweet from LM India, so the 3 launcher is not fan art
https://twitter.com/lmindianews/status/985017881732710400

Attachments

• final_airtoairloadout_steveotte_lowreswithchute.jpg.pc-adaptive.1920.medium.jpeg
    final_airtoairloadout_steveotte_lowreswithchute.jpg.pc-adaptive.1920.medium.jpeg
    114.3 KB · Views: 464
Done, thanks for the clue !
Title shortened, as it's about 6 years ago, that the F-16V was unveiled and 3 years, that
it had its maiden flight !

Re: Lockheed Martin’s Fighting Falcon Evolves With New F-16V

lantinian said:
2nd. First time I see an F-16 with a triple AMRAAM launcher and I am impressed although its probably just a rendering and nothing like this exist yet.

It looks very similar to the launch rack F-16's have for Maverick

Attachments

• F-16 with Mavericks.jpg
    F-16 with Mavericks.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 469

Attachments

• F16 Product Card_Slovakia.jpg
    F16 Product Card_Slovakia.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 414
I see that picture of the Block 70, and all I can think of is how much Pierre Sprey must be frothing at the mouth over it.

MihoshiK said:
I see that picture of the Block 70, and all I can think of is how much Pierre Sprey must be frothing at the mouth over it.

How dare an aircraft evolve to better suit what the customer actually wants and actually uses them for....
A fine line between visionaries and zealots, and the former can easily evolve in the latter...

MihoshiK said:
Pierre Sprey must be frothing

He started doing that within 5 years of the F-16 going IOC as they added BVR weapons and more sensors to the F-16.

If they can do that from the air, they can do that from a ship ;)

Kinematics aren't as favorable shooting up from a standing start as they are shooting down from 500 knots.

That's a nice "side use" of capability.

For cruise missile scenario tho.. i would put more faith on AMRAAM's.

Isn't that just a trick of kinematics like dropping a bomb ana flying helicopter? Or...?

The Block 70 was a different configuration on offer to India. Then there's the Block 61. The "V" designation is more amorphous and unblock like since, IIRC a customer an do a la carte upgrades from the "V" grab bag of avionics.
Block 70 has SABR and F-110GE129 while Block 60 has APG-80 and F-110GE 132
GE-132 has higher thrust and block 70 has no cooling upgrade like block 60, so SABR range is much worse than APG-80
1.PNG

Aw.. looking at above paper really reminds me that i have to take down the AESA radar calculator and replace it with the fixed version ASAP.

The earlier version i put up have issue namely inconsistent unit, for calculation of detectability factor. I admiteddly made mistake with the equation. The issue was not really obvious as the calculator still does work and give reasonable result, it only came to my awareness after the researcher contacted me and finally i re-read the literatures.

The version used in the paper is rectified version where i finally (hopefully) got things straight with the help of the researcher. The latest version is on the work but i havent released it yet as i incorporated some more features and actually attempt to make a user manual. Containing the equations and "flows" of the sheet.

EO6gz5vWAAEGcGd.png

This is an abbreviated version of the Aviation Week & Space Technology article “USAF Death Claw Shows New Way To Speed Development”, which describes the full details of issues faced with the F-16’s capabilities, how Death Claw aims to address these issues, and industry insights into the system.

A 40-year-old idea to improve strafing accuracy by transferring flight control of a manned fighter to the autopilot to aim the gun is being revived as the U.S. Air Force looks internally for innovations that can be demonstrated and delivered quickly. An operational version of the Digitally Enhanced Aiming Through Control Law (Death Claw) system is in development less than two years after the U.S. Air Force Test Pilot School conceived and performed an eight-month demonstration.

In effect, Death Claw has two functions. As a new automated flight mode, it solves a practical problem for pilots of F-16s and potentially other fly-by-wire fighters. The system also highlights a path to introducing aircraft upgrades faster by involving the test community up front. Adding an “auto-gunnery mode” to the flight control law, and allow the autopilot control to point the aircraft when the gun is engaged. Bill Gray, chief test pilot of the test pilot school, launched a demonstration program in late 2017 to prove it could work.

The test pilot school owns the F-16 Variable stability Inflight Simulator Test Aircraft (VISTA), an aircraft specially modified to allow inflight changes to the flying qualities. “I realized it would be a relatively simple modification to adjust the control of that airplane to actually test this to do the concept exploration,” he says.

As much as the Air Force pushes to accelerate development, the question still remains how much schedule compression is possible during the test-and-evaluation phase.

In the case of Death Claw, the test pilot school used a live demonstration to prove a basic autopilot capability. Lockheed Martin’s Skunk Works is now working on an improved operational version of the new autopilot gunnery mode, but the Air Force collected the data it needed to make a decision with a rudimentary system created within four months in 2017. The test community also now has experience with the technology, which could help focus the follow-on test schedule.

Keith-Hartley.jpg

BAe Test Pilot Keith Hartley undertaking not everyday’s test flight in 1988. This “cockpit habitability test” purpose was to evaluate if the Tornado pilot could operate efficiently after the departure of the canopy at speeds up to 500 knots.

He made it look so damn cool and easy.

Great find! Imagine what it must have been like to be that pilot.

Also, does anyone have any information on the PANNAP (Panavia New Aircraft Project)? From the information given in Tony Buttler's "British Secret Projects 2: Jet Bombers Since 1949", these projects were made up of trainers, strike and air-superiority fighters. Does anybody have any documents or drawings on this type? Was the Panavia 100 related to it?

Thanks in advance,

Wyvern

Lockheed Martin is currently offering India a highly improved variant of the F-16 called the F-21 for their MRCA program.

general-dynamics-36610-atoms-for-peace-vintage-poster.jpg.600x0_q85_upscale.jpg

Lockheed Martin Corp., Fort Worth, Texas, has been awarded a $62,000,000,000 ten-year contract for new production of F-16 Foreign Military Sale (FMS) aircraft. The total value for the initial delivery order is $4,941,105,246 and will be awarded on the same date. The initial delivery order is for 90 aircraft. Work will be primarily performed in Greenville, South Carolina; and Fort Worth, Texas, and is expected to be completed Dec. 31, 2026. This contract involves 100% FMS to FMS partner nations and is the result of a sole-source acquisition.

in 1993 Lockheed acquired the production line of the F-16 from General Dynamics for only $ 1.53 billion (about $ 3 billion today)

Last edited:
Another kill for the combo Viper/Amraam ? Probably some here have more fresh news.
An Armenian defence ministry spokeswoman said the Armenian Sukhoi Su-25 warplane had been on a military assignment when it was downed by an F-16 fighter jet owned by the Turkish air force.

legion_es.jpg

Lockheed Martin on Nov. 17 unveiled a miniaturized infrared search and track (IRST) sensor with an embedded processor for the F-16 Block 70/72 series.

The Legion-Embedded System (ES) pod has been ordered by an undisclosed F-16 Block 70/72 customer and is available for delivery to new operators starting in 2023, said Jim Ni, Lockheed’s IRST21 program manager.

The first deliveries of a newly built F-16 Block 70 are scheduled in 2021 to the Royal Bahraini Air Force. Taiwan, Slovakia, and Bulgaria also have scheduled F-16 Block 70 deliveries, while Morocco has ordered F-16 Block 72s.

The Legion-ES repackages the long-wave sensor developed for the Legion pod and IRST21. The computer processor is integrated into the F-16’s forward equipment bay.

As a result, the 300-lb., 77-in.-long Legion-ES pod on the left-underside of the forward fuselage is significantly lighter and smaller than Lockheed’s other, fully podded IRST systems, Ni said.

Although the pod is tucked beneath the fuselage, the field of view of the sensor is not obstructed at the ranges anticipated for IRST detection of hostile aircraft, Ni said.

Lockheed developed the full-size Legion pod to integrate on the U.S. Air Force’s fleet of F-16 Block 40/42/50/52 jets.

The Legion pod is significantly larger than the Legion-ES because it is designed with growth to carry other systems, such as a communications relay or other sensors. The processor for the full-size Legion pod also is integrated on the pod itself, rather than inside the forward equipment bay.

Lockheed miniaturized and consolidated electronics in the forward equipment bay of the F-16 Block 70/72 series. The extra room created space to house the processor for the Legion-ES, Ni said.

Last edited: