BAE HALO Stealth technology Demonstrator

Vulcan652

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Last year I submitted a FOIA request to the UK MOD regarding the BAE HALO project (thought to stand for High Agility Low Observable, which in fact it doesn't according to the information I received). There was a bit of back and forth over this request and it took some time to get the response (admittedly partly due to my poor FOIA technique, I'm sure!). Anyway, I thought I'd post in its entirety as it may be helpful to your research:

• Is/was HALO an aircraft?
No, HALO was the reference name given to a Technology Demonstrator Programme (see below).
  • If so, was it a technology demonstrator, a prototype or an operational aircraft?
HALO, was a Technology Demonstrator Programme (TDP). The programme was set up to demonstrate a number of signature control technologies utilising a Hawk aircraft as a low cost technology demonstration route. HALO does not stand for High Agility Low Observable, it was purely a programme nickname to allow unclassified reference as the programme existence was classified.
  • If not, what was it?
See above.
  • Was HALO built?
As discussed above, signature control technology was designed for embodiment on to the Hawk aircraft.
  • Was HALO manned or unmanned?
The Hawk is a manned aircraft.
  • When was HALO active (by this I mean when did the programme start and end)?
The programme started in 1993 and ceased in late 1994 early 1995.
  • Is HALO still active?
No. The technologies implemented on the Hawk aircraft were removed at the end of the programme.
  • Are there any available photographs of HALO?
No photographs of HALO technology are available.
  • Where is HALO now?
The Hawk asset that had been assigned to the HALO programme was returned to standard at the end of the programme.
  • Was/is HALO related to BAE Replica and Nightjar?
HALO was developing underpinning technology that supported pre-initial gate future system development programmes, as were Replica and Nightjar.
  • Is HALO related (or a forerunner) to the BAE Taranis unmanned aerial vehicle?
Taranis was designed specifically as a UAV and its design is not related directly to the Hawk aircraft used in the HALO programme. However, Taranis emerged from the UK air research programme and uses underpinning technologies developed previously within MOD and industry funded studies, such as HALO, Replica and Nightjar.

Last edited by a moderator:

Attachments

• 77021_1067056260.jpg
    77021_1067056260.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 565
  • AW_12_20_2004_26165_L.jpg
    AW_12_20_2004_26165_L.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 542
  • HawkLO.jpg
    HawkLO.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 617
Thanks for that. Very interesting.

I've heard rumours that ZA101 (the old G-HAWK demonstrator) was used for the trials.

It was later used for visual/IR 'stealth' trials, known as Chameleon: http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=11782.0

http://militarynuts.com/index.php?showtopic=224

http://www.vnfawing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3907&sid=650a7c5551f9500ed0516583058310c5

and has an interesting, metallic 'pointy' nosecone. http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?regsearch=ZA101
Note that this Hawk is now at Brooklands Museum, point nose and all. https://www.brooklandsmuseum.com/ab...awk-mk-50-g-hawk-arrives-at-brooklands-museum

From Air Force 1996/1,

but this HALO (High Altitude Low Observable) and in the topic; High Agility Low Observable,I don't know
if they were the same or not ?.
I wish that had been built. Wonky fins and all.
Almost as 'wonky' as the mythical 3-engined Hercules. Still searching for a photo of that thing....

Last year I submitted a FOIA request to the UK MOD regarding the BAE HALO project (thought to stand for High Agility Low Observable, which in fact it doesn't according to the information I received). There was a bit of back and forth over this request and it took some time to get the response (admittedly partly due to my poor FOIA technique, I'm sure!). Anyway, I thought I'd post in its entirety as it may be helpful to your research:

Is/was HALO an aircraft?

No, HALO was the reference name given to a Technology Demonstrator Programme (see below).

If so, was it a technology demonstrator, a prototype or an operational aircraft?

HALO, was a Technology Demonstrator Programme (TDP). The programme was set up to demonstrate a number of signature control technologies utilising a Hawk aircraft as a low cost technology demonstration route. HALO does not stand for High Agility Low Observable, it was purely a programme nickname to allow unclassified reference as the programme existence was classified.

If not, what was it?

See above.

Was HALO built?

As discussed above, signature control technology was designed for embodiment on to the Hawk aircraft.

Was HALO manned or unmanned?

When was HALO active (by this I mean when did the programme start and end)?

Is HALO still active?

No. The technologies implemented on the Hawk aircraft were removed at the end of the programme.

Are there any available photographs of HALO?

Where is HALO now?

The Hawk asset that had been assigned to the HALO programme was returned to standard at the end of the programme.

Was/is HALO related to BAE Replica and Nightjar?

HALO was developing underpinning technology that supported pre-initial gate future system development programmes, as were Replica and Nightjar.

Is HALO related (or a forerunner) to the BAE Taranis unmanned aerial vehicle?

Taranis was designed specifically as a UAV and its design is not related directly to the Hawk aircraft used in the HALO programme. However, Taranis emerged from the UK air research programme and uses underpinning technologies developed previously within MOD and industry funded studies, such as HALO, Replica and Nightjar.
Bae systems did use a Hawk for HALO it was high agility low observation it was flown and caused a stir because it flew at night and people in and around warton/banks thought it was a UFO It used infrared technology and that's all I'm willing to divulge,

Is/was HALO an aircraft?

If so, was it a technology demonstrator, a prototype or an operational aircraft?

If not, what was it?

See above.

Was HALO built?

Is HALO still active?

Where is HALO now?

Taranis was designed specifically as a UAV and its design is not related directly to the Hawk aircraft used in the HALO programme. However, Taranis emerged from the UK air research programme and uses underpinning technologies developed previously within MOD and industry funded studies, such as HALO, Replica and Nightj

Is/was HALO an aircraft?

If not, what was it?

See above.

Was HALO built?

Is HALO still active?

Where is HALO now?

Bae systems did use a hawk for the HALO mod is was called "high agility low observation", it used infrared technology it caused a stir in and around Warton/Banks areas if flew at night and was thought to be a UFO.

Which is not to say that a program "nickname" by one party could have not been backronymed by another party. Wise men, meet elephant (elephant then files harrassment complaint after being groped by wise men).

Me, I vote for Project Heisenberg.

Quite so.
Except for the unsubstantiated rumor that project nicknames now must be German or other words of not less that 20 characters in order to discourage backronyming...

Last edited:
Morning seeing I spent over a year working on the HALO project I did sign the official secrets act so not much info I can say on the matter.
But HALO flew in and around Warton/Banks at night and it looked like a UFO from the ground but was a basic Hawk it was talked about in the press on numerous occasions.
Circa 1993-1994 and it was used to prove the infrared theory. Or not?

absorption, emission, or reflection. So to be of low observation you can use infrared? The Hawk is always high agility to be stealthy you can use infrared, thus the project was called HALO nickname or acronym. I worked on a few projects that have never seen the light of day I was just browsing and came across this site and the question about HALO involving Hawk aircraft.

Last edited:
HALO - 'Scuse me if I go a bit Rowly Birkin here.

Back in the early-mid 1990s I corresponded with a bloke called Tim Matthews, He was somewhat obsessed with the 'deltas' that were seen flying about northwest England, night and day (rare, but someone got a photo) and according to him were BAe stealth aircraft or UAVs operating out of Warton.

Now, this is a bit hazy. Matthews would hold public meetings about this, attended by the usual UFO folk (this was peak X-Files period) but they were also attended by the same BAe Warton chap ( I suspect he was retired by that time, probably not there 'officially'). You'd expect this bloke to have been a PR know-nowt, but he used to wipe the floor with Tim Matthews in arguments about aircraft and aviation, much to Matthews' annoyance. That wasn't difficult to be honest. Matthews would ramble on about this bloke.

So who was this guy? A quarter of a century later I was rummaging through some files on Base Burning and AST.396 in Brough Heritage and who's name is on the front page of a couple of the base burning reports as Aerodynamicist. Our Warton geezer.

I asked the Brough Boys about him and they went 'Hmmmm...him!' and started to natter away amongst themselves. Turned out that this bloke had 'crossed the Pennines' to Warton, which to a Yorkshireman (as most folk at Brough were at the time.) was unforgivable.

I tried to talk to him about base burning but sadly he died before I could get in touch.

His name? Neville Beckett.

He'd written quite extensively on aviation, mainly for Air International I think, and was obviously very knowledgeable, but why was he turning up to UFO meetings and arguing with the man in the van of the mystery delta saga? Curiosity? Only kills cats. Matthews was convinced Beckett was there to find out what Matthews knew.

I was recently interviewed by a researcher and a couple of journos about that Calvine business (I know nowt, and pretty much shot their fox) but I did advise the researcher to talk to Tim Matthews. If they could find him.

Chris

I worked at Warton for years we had a problem getting permission to do night flights due to housing etc. The only stealth aircraft that flew out of Warton was the Hawk HALO, during the day it flew normal test flights, and it looked just like any normal Hawk but when it flew at night and the infrared technology was used it was visible from the ground and did look like a UFO if I remember correctly it had only three night flights. To be honest the power needed to use the infrared to full effect was a bit to much for the Hawks electrical generation system. I won't add any more info, I will leave my posts as is. Just had to add the Bae Warton chap even had UFO on his number plate (name withheld).

Last edited:
So this was a low observable testbed that pumped out IR (presumably being so radiantly glowing that you could see it from the ground at visual light wavelengths too) in order to be less detectable....

NO not Mr Evans the chap with the gravity disruptive technology , Like I stated previously I'm not divulging any more info all I can say is Bae Systems did have a project named HALO and it used a Hawk for the testbed and it was infrared based, circa 1993-1995 it was the first project to use the brand-new "stealth hanger" And obviously it was in the first stages so all can assume the final outcome would be for it not to be seen from the ground,

Spy charge defence worker in court
March 29, 2002 Posted: 10:04 AM EST (1504 GMT)

LONDON, England -- A British defence worker has appeared in court charged with nine counts of spying under the UK's Official Secrets Act.

Ian Parr, 45, from Essex, near London, was remanded in custody after appearing at the capital's Bow Street Magistrates Court on Monday.

Parr, who was remanded to appear at the Old Bailey on April 3 for a plea and directions hearing, was arrested on Friday after a joint operation involving the police and the security services.

He works for defence equipment manufacturer BAe System Avionics.

He was charged with "obtaining documents and information prejudicial to the interest of the state, which were intended to be passed on to the enemy."

If found guilty he faces up to 14 years in prison.

The nine charges related to obtaining information to do with the HALO project (High Agility Low Observable) which was "calculated to be, or might be, directly or indirectly useful to an enemy" and communicating it to another person.

He is also alleged to have stolen documents relating to the same project and to do with developing stealth technology for combat aircraft to make them invisible to radar.

In a statement, Essex Police said: "The British national was arrested in Southend on Friday afternoon and questioned throughout the course of Saturday.

"His charges related to nine offences under Section One of the Official Secrets Act and one under the Theft Act 1968."

BAe Systems Avionics, which has its headquarters in Basildon, is the largest avionics company in Europe and one of the UK's leading suppliers of civil and military electronic systems for air, land and seas.

It makes fighter jets, radar equipment, and some systems for the Royal Air Force's Tornado and Sea Harrier jets.

Other products include digital terrain navigation systems, helmet-mounted displays and sights, target and detection systems, night bombing equipment, auto tracking systems and night vision goggles.

I see references to HALO (High Agility Low Observable or High Altitude Low Observable) as a TDP for FOAS inn 1997 - but in 1996 it was said to be Hawk Low Observable

In September last year as it was reported that HALO had started life as the Hawk Low Observable programme

Last edited:
Glad I'm not called Ian Parr, And the reason I will not divulge to much info, I was just interested why someone had been asking about HALO, If the project did not exist why did he ask the question, So again my statement stands HALO did go ahead.

What really is the newest thing is FLADS,
Future Land Acquisition Defence System. It shut's down everything around it but leave the land perfect for harvesting. No contamination etc.

From Air Force 1996/1,

but this HALO (High Altitude Low Observable) and in the topic; High Agility Low Observable,I don't know

Same energy:

51PVbV9wrBL._AC_.jpg

Awaiting the Hasegawa BAe HALO kit with bated breath.

Talking of projects not heard off did anyone work on the Bae systems REVISE project circa 1991-2 might have been a bit earlier, again flew out of Warton but just the once.

Quite so.
Except for the unsubstantiated rumor that project nicknames now must be German or other words of not less that 20 characters in order to discourage backronyming...
I'm reminded of a colleague at a software company years ago who said that his former CEO was sick of people using project code names in public. So henceforth, only the names of bodily fluids would be used.

One's Altitude and one's Agility Kat your item is higher than high but not very agile?

"Same energy" means "similar vibe" or "reminds me of" in this context, though.

The "HALO" drawing looks like Hasegawa's line of "Egg Plane" chibi/super-deformed model kits. The Space Shuttle was just the first one I found on Google image search that has the same perspective/facing as the drawing. There are so many Egg Planes in the model line I wouldn't be shocked if they start having to need to expand into experimental aircraft to scrape for new material though, as they already have anime licensed models.

Jokes aren't as funny if you have to explain them though.

Quite so.
I'm reminded of a colleague at a software company years ago who said that his former CEO was sick of people using project code names in public. So henceforth, only the names of bodily fluids would be used.

Twitter would go wild if this happened today.

From Air Force 1996/1,

Same energy:

51PVbV9wrBL._AC_.jpg

Awaiting the Hasegawa BAe HALO kit with bated breath.
This could be a new Boeing program, kinda like a VW Beetle for space, looks like a tight fit, an astronaut could get a bad case of asteroids on a long journey.

Quite so.
I've gone the other way in the past: give absolutely everything a project code name. Tidying the stationery cupboard? No, that's Project ATHENA.

Back
Top Bottom