Armstrong Siddeley ASH Turbojets

Wurger

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Hi,

Fritz Heppner was the designer of various ASH (not ASX) advanced turbojets. I first came about this reference here.

http://www.designchambers.com/wolfhound/

It is a very interesting article, dealing mostly on AS reciprocating radials, but mentioning these heppner`s projected jets.
Does anyone know more on these? Any drawings/sketches? I happened to know that some of heppners work is now at the National Archives in Kew.
Can someone help?

As we have been discussing on a different thread ASM built the Griffith rig for the RAE, it was felt that this had potential. Hence the ASH based on that early work. I have not seen any of the schemes of this period .. what is the National Archive reference.. does it point back to holdings at RRHT Coventry?
Could this be it??

Attachments

• ASH-maybe.jpg
    ASH-maybe.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 315
  • ASH-2.jpg
    ASH-2.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 308
  • ASH-3-installed in aircraft.jpg
    ASH-3-installed in aircraft.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 283
Going to the National Archives website will do the trick:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/default.htm

use the search engine with "Fred Heppner",as he was called back in the 40`s and you will get an impressive ammount of files relating to him and his work in ASM. And yes, the documents come from RRHT, Coventry branch.
I am afraid I do not know nothing besides the info on that article. I only know that those designs were very complex, with contraflow and contrarotating elements. But your pics are extremelly interesting.
Thank you very much for sharing.

Wurger,
I'll see if I can find a colleague at Coventry to do some digging!
Thanks for drawing my attention to the ASH .. I have been on the site before but was researching the ****hound engines and did not allow my self to be diverted.. as you can see from the other thread we are exploring earlt turbofans inspired by Whittle so this is also relevant... thanks.

Hi Tartle,

anytime! It was a pleasure. I hope you get a friend in Coventry!
Cheers.

...many moons ago when I worked for RR Derby, helping to design the first big fans I went there a lot so figers crossed I didn't upset them then!